Electric vehicles to be levied lower registration tax

webfact

Electric vehicles to be levied lower registration tax

By The Nation

800_5e23276b31f3f34.jpeg?v=1580615947

The Department of Land Transport is joining the campaign for cleaner air by offering incentives to those who use clean energy vehicles.

Jantira Buruspat, deputy director-general for Operation, revealed that the increase in particulate matter smaller than 2.5 microns is partly due to incomplete fuel combustion of cars that use fossil fuels, affecting the health and quality of life of people.

The department wants to encourage the use of alternative energy instead of fuel by reducing the annual vehicle tax on electric vehicles.

The tax for a passenger electric car with not more than seven seats will be calculated according to the weight of the car at the same rate as a fossil-fuel passenger car for more than seven people.

Vans, trucks, motorcycles including road rollers, tractors used in agriculture and taxicabs running between provinces that use electric power will be pay half the tax paid by a vehicle of the same type that uses fossil fuel. For instance, personal motorcycles that use fossil fuel pay an annual tax of Bt100 per vehicle, while personal motorcycles powered by electricity will pay an annual tax of Bt50 per vehicle. People can see details of various car tax rates on the website of the Department of Land Transport at www.dlt.go.th

She added that as of December 31, 2019, the number of registered vehicles nationwide was 40,712,043 vehicles -- 27,749,524 gasoline-powered vehicles, 11,294,017 diesel fuel.

A total of 2,854 electric vehicles are registered, which includes 117 electric buses, while the number of hybrid electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids together total 153,184 vehicles. There are 53,407 natural gas vehicles and 313,440 natural gas vehicles.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381453

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-03

27 minutes ago, legend49 said:

So they want me to spend over 90,000 baht on a hybrid Honda PCX to save 50 baht a year, really?

I don't think the article says that hybrid vehicles are eligible for the tax break.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 473geo said:

OK this is a small step in the right direction, just need to follow up with the real incentive of lower purchase prices for electric vehicles. Support production in Thailand and/or lower import taxes on electric vehicles

Exactly! Every time I see some news about electrics in Thailand, the prices are extremely high. However, an entry level electric scooter in China only costs about 5,000 Baht. Even with a 150% import cost, they could retail in Thailand for between 10 - 15k. So why does nobody do it? I honestly think "speed" is a factor: Those little Chinese bikes struggle passing 20km/h which Thai consumers might not like. They would be great in BKK though.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The department wants to encourage the use of alternative energy instead of fuel by reducing the annual vehicle tax on electric vehicles.

Just reduce the exorbitant import tax.. make it an affordable choice.

• Like 1

People (not just here) are talking like EVs are the Holy Grail. But if you simply add electric vehicles to the existing dirty car parc, there is no improvement. Needs to be a scrappage incentive - to replace old tech with new - rather than a purchase discount.

Also, someone needs to explain how clean the electricity generated is: if it's not clean, then the EVs are not clean either.

Note too that vehicle production is hardly an environmentally friendly process, whatever it is making. Thailand should be trying to get out of the industry, but of course it's too lucrative and no-one can think of anything better.

• Like 1

The MG ZS EV was the first decently priced car with decent specs and range, owner of speaking.

However still expensive for what it is worth at 1.2MB, the same car was launched in India last week selling at 950,000 baht.

Thailand is till LONG way to adopt EVs from my experience. Not just car price, but electricity infrastructure needs improvements.

For example, 99% of the houses cannot have it installed an EV charger type of 7.4 kW. Because the meter and the house wirings are not capable to run it along side with Air conditioner at this power. So every house that wants to have EV will need to go through the process or replacing the main wires plus the MEA/PEA meter (from 30A/45A to a 100A meter)

EVs are not The government priority for sure, they make so much money from the existing car factories right now that exports to big countries, such as Australia. 

When will they address the real issue of crop burning? ???? When they stopped the burning for China day the air pollution cleared almost immediately. But hey let's talk about electric cars and those pesky little plastic bags that throw themselves everywhere. ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SABloke said:

Exactly! Every time I see some news about electrics in Thailand, the prices are extremely high. However, an entry level electric scooter in China only costs about 5,000 Baht. Even with a 150% import cost, they could retail in Thailand for between 10 - 15k. So why does nobody do it? I honestly think "speed" is a factor: Those little Chinese bikes struggle passing 20km/h which Thai consumers might not like. They would be great in BKK though.

You can buy them for example in Big C.

But they can't be legally driven on Thai roads.

Get the Electric Vehicles closer to Par on price with Fossil Fuel burners and then get users off of filth belching Pick-Up's etc by putting prohibitive taxes on Diesel to force people into buying the Electric options.    General Thai  mental behaviour means that unless you force them to do something they will not change their habits, as most are very selfish in attitude.

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

You can buy them for example in Big C.

But they can't be legally driven on Thai roads.

Is that a legal fact or an anecdotal fact? I'm just asking because, yes, many things are technically illegal in Thailiand but readily available to buy e.g. electric cigarettes, but I've yet to come across Big C selling illegal merchandise. So what is the purpose of the electric bikes for sale in Big C then? I've seen people in my local community use them for short distances (like bicycles). I get that they might be illegal on major roads, but for local road and/or sidewalk hopping they'd be fine, surely?

It can't be a speed thing...or perhaps there's an archaic Thai law that states that bicycles aren't allowed on roads either (I wouldn't be surprised)

Edited by SABloke

12 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Is that a legal fact or an anecdotal fact? I'm just asking because, yes, many things are technically illegal in Thailiand but readily available to buy e.g. electric cigarettes, but I've yet to come across Big C selling illegal merchandise. So what is the purpose of the electric bikes for sale in Big C then? I've seen people in my local community use them for short distances (like bicycles). I get that they might be illegal on major roads, but for local road and/or sidewalk hopping they'd be fine, surely?

It can't be a speed thing...or perhaps there's an archaic Thai law that states that bicycles aren't allowed on roads either (I wouldn't be surprised)

I once went through the law (quotes and sources in some topic in the motoring forum). The "problem" is that a vehicle which has two wheels and is powered by an engine or motor is considered a motorcycle under Thai law. I did not find any exception, as in minimum speed or minimum power which many other countries have.

Under Thai law a motorcycle needs stuff like lights, turn signals, mirrors, a license plate and maybe further things which i forgot.

The electric scooters sold in Big C can't be registered, so 100% of them lack the license plate (probably other things as well), thus they aren't road legal and using them on any public road is illegal.

On small roads in the village this law is of course not enforced and you can do what you want.

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at one of these electric 3 wheelers for the in-laws to go to the market and back on. I was told they were road legal so the above comments are concerning to me. It costs 21k baht so half the price of a new scooter and has indicators and lights, just no license plate.

20200201_112052.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

I once went through the law (quotes and sources in some topic in the motoring forum). The "problem" is that a vehicle which has two wheels and is powered by an engine or motor is considered a motorcycle under Thai law. I did not find any exception, as in minimum speed or minimum power which many other countries have.

Under Thai law a motorcycle needs stuff like lights, turn signals, mirrors, a license plate and maybe further things which i forgot.

The electric scooters sold in Big C can't be registered, so 100% of them lack the license plate (probably other things as well), thus they aren't road legal and using them on any public road is illegal.

On small roads in the village this law is of course not enforced and you can do what you want.

Interesting. So I guess Big C just markets them (if and when the BIB show up) as powered toys for use st home.

In China they are popular because apparently the opposite is true: Low power + no lights + no indicator = not a motorbike and thus no licence required. Go figure 

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

I was looking at one of these electric 3 wheelers for the in-laws to go to the market and back on. I was told they were road legal so the above comments are concerning to me. It costs 21k baht so half the price of a new scooter and has indicators and lights, just no license plate.

20200201_112052.jpg

Jackdd could probably confirm, but I'm guessing that in the weird realm of the law, you've got no problem since they've got 3 wheels and so aren't bikes. I believe Colinneil uses one (you could send him a PM and ask for more details).

8 hours ago, SABloke said:

Interesting. So I guess Big C just markets them (if and when the BIB show up) as powered toys for use st home.

In China they are popular because apparently the opposite is true: Low power + no lights + no indicator = not a motorbike and thus no licence required. Go figure 

Just add or subtract common sense into the equations for both sides as needed. ????????????

Oh, nearly forgot, add or subtract loads of road tax.