Sovereignty comes first: Britain lays out tough stance for EU trade talks

webfact

34 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Except its OUR waters by law again so there is that. 

I'm not disputing this point, equal access ( under quotas conditions) was seen as a betrayal because the fishing industry was sacrificed for other national political and economic purposes While fishing accounts for less than 0.1% of UK GDP, the issue weighed in favor of leaving the EU in the 2016 referendum.

Johnson's speech suggests a solution to European apprehensions about fishing. By becoming a third state, the UK takes back control of its exclusive economic zone, to the detriment of European fishermen. The UK will be an independent coastal state at the end of 2020, controlling its own waters". This agreement should be renegotiated annually with Europe; in exchange of an agreement on British aviation's access to the single European sky.

Edited by Opl
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, englishoak said:

Your joking  I hope, until we joined the EU the UK was Australia's biggest trading partner. so much for closer to home.  You also fail to mention that EU trade is around 500B and that would also take a hit, not in the least those nations like Germany and France etc  hit the hardest.

Its a two way street as you well know, both sides would be hit, So what does that prove ? absolutely nothing tbh, free trade deal or take a hit, who needs the break most ? not sure tbh but the Uk is far more flexible and able to make adjustments than the Eu can and its not a small economy.... free trade deal is still best for all so the EU would be better off dropping imo its stupid and out of date demands. If its going to be stubborn and cut its nose off then so be it, we have already left and will adjust quickly enough. Eu not so much. Bring it !

You miss the point that relationship between Australia and the UK was the legacy of imperial trading preferences which while beneficial, were inefficient for both parties and too narrowly defined around a few primary industries. 

Since the ending of that set up, Australia now faces Asia and the pacific and our preferential trading relationships reflect that with FTAs with ASEAN, China the US and not to mention the TPP or what ever it is called now. None of them however are seamless as the EU, which however you look at it, is a gold standard in trading set ups. 

Our national income in real terms is higher than can have ever been imagined and our economy is more diverse and competitive as ever as a result of focusing on our region, instead of pretending to be a distant English outpost in the South Pacific. 

I know the Rule Britannia mob day dream of a time when the UK was the hub of a grand imperial trading network. Those days are long gone. You trade with your neighbours first and foremost. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I totally agree with you and would add shipping costs are a significant factor in trade.

It costs far more to ship items from Germany to the UK, than to ship from China to the UK.

So it's more sensible to trade with China than Germany.

Most of the world does the same, it always depends on the end cost and profit not simply next door. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, englishoak said:

I dont, im very much looking to the future, thats why we left the EU, your the one who likes to insult,you really arnt happy when you get some of your medicine back are  you ?  :whistling: Tough luck pal I give as good as I get,

The UK is your nations origins and vision, no one else set it up, managed and grew it but you keep kidding yourself however you want, good old whitey blighty empire building and exploration is your good luck lad .Your welcome to your life and success afforded you today by that past .. Britain is the sole reason its there today and dosnt matter what you want to pretend  it wont change Australias origins and past nor its motherland.

A piece of free advice, if your going to throw stones around with me best not stand in a glass house and crow while doing it.  

I see what you are doing there...trying to get my back up on nationalist pride. Ah, good one. 

Here’s a hint though, none of that stuff particularly bothers me. I’m not a chest thumper and one of the things I love about Australia is what we don’t take our nationalism too seriously. We want to beat you at cricket, but we don’t really want to be you....

As for the rest of what you wrote....maybe find a full stop here and there and it might make a bit more sense. Either that or maybe not hit the sauce so hard this time of the morning (a piece of free advice from me to you)...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, samran said:

Clear as mud... but your emoji skills are exceptional! 555

UK exports sheepmeat to China because Boris said UK is closer to China than Australia is.  

The EU imports more sheepmeat from Australia and New Zealand ( A-EU FTA négociations in progress to develop the lucrative EU market ) since UK left the EU.   

Edited by Opl
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, samran said:

You miss the point that relationship between Australia and the UK was the legacy of imperial trading preferences which while beneficial, were inefficient for both parties and too narrowly defined around a few primary industries. 

Since the ending of that set up, Australia now faces Asia and the pacific and our preferential trading relationships reflect that with FTAs with ASEAN, China the US and not to mention the TPP or what ever it is called now. None of them however are seamless as the EU, which however you look at it, is a gold standard in trading set ups. 

Our national income in real terms is higher than can have ever been imagined and our economy is more diverse and competitive as ever as a result of focusing on our region, instead of pretending to be a distant English outpost in the South Pacific. 

I know the Rule Britannia mob day dream of a time when the UK was the hub of a grand imperial trading network. Those days are long gone. You trade with your neighbours first and foremost. 

Ahem:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/australias-economic-growth-to-fall-to-decadelow/news-story/9bf7b8ceeaae415eb5a5377688e04745

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I totally agree with you and would add shipping costs are a significant factor in trade.

It costs far more to ship items from Germany to the UK, than to ship from China to the UK.

So it's more sensible to trade with China than Germany.

We always used to buy beef from Argentina, and lamb from New Zealand because they offered the best prices.

The only local deal was Danish bacon.

Not Spam:)

IK the sound sux.

Edited by nauseus