Sovereignty comes first: Britain lays out tough stance for EU trade talks

webfact

35 minutes ago, evadgib said:

More:

UK aiming for early trade deal with Australia

Be sure to try the Marmite ????

Dear lord, you’ve missed the memo?

You are really all over the shop if you haven’t been fed the lines properly. 

Hard brexit isn’t being called ‘hard brexit‘ any more. Boris is calling it an Australian like trading relationship with the EU....cause it sounds better!

Keep up ole boy! Might be wise you stay out of the conversation...you aren’t helping the cause for your brexiter mates!

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

In a clear demonstration of the strength of the enduring partnership between the UK and Australia, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab will arrive in Canberra today (6 February) as part of a four-country visit to the Asia-Pacific region.

The Foreign Secretary will hold talks with Foreign Minister Marise Payne to discuss future trade and investment opportunities and the potential for an early free trade deal. The Ministers are also expected to discuss UK co-operation with Australia in the Indo-Pacific region, opportunities to work together on global human rights issues and UK assistance to the bushfire response. A team of UK experts visited Australia last month to scope how the UK can best contribute to the response.

The Foreign Secretary will also meet Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Simon Birmingham.

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

More:

UK aiming for early trade deal with Australia

Be sure to try the Marmite ????

Note :

Dominic Raab is heading to Australia to spend a couple of hours discussing a possible UK-AUS trade deal.

On Monday, a whole team of EU negotiators will spend 4 days there discussing an EU-AUS deal.

The two governments are aiming to conclude a comprehensive agreement this year, following the completion of formalities to leave the European Union.

We are second in the queue now behind the EU - this is our new place in life.....

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/ministers-in-postbrexit-trade-deal-talks/news-story/af0740ca0c3bd01bc7545b029125aa13

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

Bill Clinton denied having sex with "that woman" but he did. Just because Nissan denying what has been reported is music to your ears, it doesn't necessary mean it is not going to happen, now does it.

"Companies such as Nissan have spent a lot of time arguing for the UK to stay in the EU, and then, if we are leaving, to maintain as close a relationship as we can. That is fair enough. The status quo suited them, and they were reluctant to change it.

But once circumstances change, companies will switch strategies very quickly to adjust to a new set of realities. In truth, a hard Brexit may well lead to a revival of manufacturing, possibly on a spectacular scale. Perhaps the auto workers of Sunderland weren’t so stupid to vote for it after all."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/02/03/nissans-screeching-u-turn-staying-uk-post-brexit-sign-others/

Now I don't expect anything in return but negativity, so please don't disappoint.

So sorry that I am going to disappoint.

Nissan are free to change their minds, but until they officially state it, it is just speculation which for some reason I’m not allowed to do, but you are! 

So all the best in getting the manufacturing jobs back. 

It really is funny how some of the Brexiteers cling to any straw. Nissan have made clear that the supposed plan to ramp up UK production does not exist. They have also made clear that "its Sunderland plant would be under threat along with its European operations if the UK fails to ensure tariff-free access to the EU market."

So not only does Brexit not mean that Nissan will increase production in the UK. It also means that Britain will lose a number of car plants unless the EU gives the UK no tariffs. Which seems very unlikely.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/03/nissan-eu-uk-hard-brexit

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, samran said:

So sorry that I am going to disappoint.

Nissan are free to change their minds, but until they officially state it, it is just speculation which for some reason I’m not allowed to do, but you are! 

So all the best in getting the manufacturing jobs back. 

Nissan have probably war gamed many scenarios one of which is moving/keeping/leaving production in the UK.

My limited knowledge ( knowing FA) about car production is that the parts for the cars put together in Sunderland come from all over and the final assembly is in Sunderland,I remember reading that the rear axel for the mini crossed from mainland Europe to the Oxford plant 3 times before it became part of the finished product, everything arrived on a just in time basis.

So how's it going to work getting all the parts together? Cars are all going electric so there's going to be a massive change needed regarding batteries etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, vogie said:

But that's just it, you havn't disappointed, I would have been disappointed if you hadn't been disappointed, you have as I expected lived up to my expectations.

It is not a case of getting jobs back (I fear you are not being sincere when you say that) it's also a case of creating new jobs should the EU decide to impose tariffs on goods they export to us, it's a case of needs must, can't you see the potential the UK (including Scotland) has got to offer.

I sense by the tone of your post that you are beginning to mellow, I think we can all look forward to a nice Mr Samran.

Ah, so you think I'm craven enough to wish someone loses their job? Says a lot more about you than it does about me that you think that way. Someone who disagrees is immediately your enemy....I mean get a grip! Basically the theme of any objection to my posts. Go the man and not the ball.

I just don't think, and history bears this out, that tariffs don't do much to protect jobs. All they do is raise prices for the protected good. So higher tariffs around the car industry or any other manufacturing may increase jobs in that particular sector cause imports are too expensive, but all they do is allow the local producer to raise prices to the tariff price less one pound. Tariffs are essentially corporate welfare on steroids, and we all hate welfare don't we?

So people have jobs in a single sector, but local cars are more expensive than they need be and people effectively have to pay more to protect manufacturing jobs. If there is less money in their hands to spend elsewhere, other sectors suffer, and jobs are lost there... usually more lost than were produced. 

Pretty soon you are going to have all and sundry asking for corporate welfare handouts to protect them from any competitive pressures.

Oh, and another thing - which is something that I've seen more than one brexiter say: The EU won't put tariffs on goods they export to you. Its a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work. The EU will export stuff to you, it will be up to the UK to decide whether to stick a tariff on them.

Edited by samran

54 minutes ago, samran said:

Ah, so you think I'm craven enough to wish someone loses their job? Says a lot more about you than it does about me that you think that way. Someone who disagrees is immediately your enemy....I mean get a grip! Basically the theme of any objection to my posts. Go the man and not the ball.

I just don't think, and history bears this out, that tariffs don't do much to protect jobs. All they do is raise prices for the protected good. So higher tariffs around the car industry or any other manufacturing may increase jobs in that particular sector cause imports are too expensive, but all they do is allow the local producer to raise prices to the tariff price less one pound. Tariffs are essentially corporate welfare on steroids, and we all hate welfare don't we?

So people have jobs in a single sector, but local cars are more expensive than they need be and people effectively have to pay more to protect manufacturing jobs. If there is less money in their hands to spend elsewhere, other sectors suffer, and jobs are lost there... usually more lost than were produced. 

Pretty soon you are going to have all and sundry asking for corporate welfare handouts to protect them from any competitive pressures.

Oh, and another thing - which is something that I've seen more than one brexiter say: The EU won't put tariffs on goods they export to you. Its a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work. The EU will export stuff to you, it will be up to the UK to decide whether to stick a tariff on them.

You weren't that bovvered when Ferage & Co lost theirs ???? 

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Note :

Dominic Raab is heading to Australia to spend a couple of hours discussing a possible UK-AUS trade deal.

On Monday, a whole team of EU negotiators will spend 4 days there discussing an EU-AUS deal.

The two governments are aiming to conclude a comprehensive agreement this year, following the completion of formalities to leave the European Union.

We are second in the queue now behind the EU - this is our new place in life.....

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/ministers-in-postbrexit-trade-deal-talks/news-story/af0740ca0c3bd01bc7545b029125aa13

Although it’s a bit old now, different government ministers have stated as much that the EU FTA with Australia is the priority.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/australias-priority-is-to-trade-with-the-eu-australian-foreign-minister-on-the-opportunities-and-impact-of-brexit-548626

To be honest let’s see how it pans out, the article I have is a few years old now.

14 minutes ago, evadgib said:

You weren't that bovvered when Ferage & Co were RTU'ed a couple of weeks ago ???? 

If they come out of their holes and start lobbying for tariffs, London to a brick they are doing so cause its going to benefit them and their mates -  the rent seekers are.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, adammike said:

Nissan have probably war gamed many scenarios one of which is moving/keeping/leaving production in the UK.

My limited knowledge ( knowing FA) about car production is that the parts for the cars put together in Sunderland come from all over and the final assembly is in Sunderland,I remember reading that the rear axel for the mini crossed from mainland Europe to the Oxford plant 3 times before it became part of the finished product, everything arrived on a just in time basis.

So how's it going to work getting all the parts together? Cars are all going electric so there's going to be a massive change needed regarding batteries etc etc.

Just in time. Across Europe six times to complete an axle? Great for the carbon footprint, eh? Better make and assemble everything in the UK before Extinction Rebellion block the bridges and tunnels! Electric mini of course. 

Good Brexit song though. Take it away Blue Eyes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samran said:

Although it’s a bit old now, different government ministers have stated as much that the EU FTA with Australia is the priority.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/australias-priority-is-to-trade-with-the-eu-australian-foreign-minister-on-the-opportunities-and-impact-of-brexit-548626

To be honest let’s see how it pans out, the article I have is a few years old now.

What happened to Holden manufacturing in Aus...?

34 minutes ago, transam said:

What happened to Holden manufacturing in Aus...?

Gone Trans, as dead a dodo. And good riddance. 

The industry had been uncompetitive since the early 80s and had been surviving on a combination of government hand outs and tariffs to hide behind. Despite promises, they never got more efficient and simply gobbled up taxpayer dollars to survive. 

Cars ended up being many thousands of dollars more expensive than they needed be, and because they got lazy behind the tariff wall never figured out that people didn’t want to drive around in V8s until it was too late...

The government figured out it would just be cheaper to pay car workers for the rest of their lives than prop up the industry, so they pulled the plug totally on supporting the industry about a decade ago. 

The car industry is a global one. Setting up ones behind tariff walls on an island in the South Pacific didn’t work. 

Edited by samran

5 hours ago, samran said:

I think you're imagining this Samran. I think what most Brexiteers quite rightly say is that EU countries / companies won't WANT tariffs on goods they export to the UK. 

15 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think you're imagining this Samran. I think what most Brexiteers quite rightly say is that EU countries / companies won't WANT tariffs on goods they export to the UK. 

Really?? How would you read the following then?

6 hours ago, vogie said:

“.....should the EU decide to impose tariffs on goods they export to us....”

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, vogie said:

A tariff is a tax on imports or exports between sovereign states. It is a form of regulation of foreign trade and a policy that taxes foreign products to encourage or safeguard domestic industry. Traditionally, states have used them as a source of income. Now, they are among the most widely used instruments of protectionism, along with import and export quotas.

Oh dear lord!!! 

43 minutes ago, samran said:

Really?? How would you read the following then?

I'm sure he meant that by not offering the UK a fair deal the EU would by default end up with tariffs on their exports. Our hand would be forced, so it's kind of imposed.

That's how I read it with my Brexiteer glasses on anyway ????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I'm sure he meant that by not offering the UK a fair deal the EU would by default end up with tariffs on their exports. Our hand would be forced, so it's kind of imposed.

That's how I read it with my Brexiteer glasses on anyway ????

I'm still getting used to the double meanings in brexit speak ;). For example:

No deal hard brexit = Australian trade deal.