Prostate-medicin in Thailand

glegolo

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

No disrespect, but I took you seriously, and read into the sideeffects for this medicin called CIPROTFLOXACIN... I found as usual a LOT of those. Scary just to read them,, until I came to look more closer at the diagram or chart rather....

I haven't had a problem with it either, although I did limit my exercise while taking it and for a few weeks after, but there are at least two posters on this forum that have reported problems.

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I haven't had a problem with it either, although I did limit my exercise while taking it and for a few weeks after, but there are at least two posters on this forum that have reported problems.

I like to extend my special thanks to you for the warning. I was asked by the doctor to stop bicykling during this medicin-cure and do walking instead as mean of exercise. I do hope that is good, will be doing maximum 5 km in slow pace.... Normally just 3,6 km on a daily basis.....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, glegolo said:

For you that appreciate a follow up, I can describe than the following what happened today. I will try to be as short as possible, and plse bear with me, I am not a native english speaker.

I went 2 times with 2 days inbetween testing. I took the scary PSA-test. I ended up with 14,5 which feels lika a death-sentence big time....

I stopped bicyckling for 2 days and went friday last again, and thought, now I will show them. Hmmm test showed 14,7 even worse...... OK I am done definately now, I must go to this Urologist...... I got one recommended locally and didn´t have to go to Bangkok Hospital in Khorat 250 kilometers back and forth......

This morning at 09.30 I saw a 40 year old fluent english spoken thai doctor fully modern. and I was so surpriced so I had to ask him if he really was born here in Chaiyaphum, and he assured me that he was. If he was educated abroad I     didn´t ask that.

He took the ultrasound-machine and went through the stomach and the sides, and then he stuff his finger up my ass sorry rectrum..... Sorry but If I were homo of some sort I should probably have been a quite bad one, I do not like stuff getting IN down there, not when it suppossingly should instead getting OUT there.....

After that check up, back to his writingdesk and he told me, "you see, your number 14,7 doesn´t at all mean that you have to have cancer, there is a number of reasons for this number to be so high. I am convinced that you have besides an enlarged protate also an infection in your urin-bladder and that area...."  I can tell you that your kidneys look healthy, you urinbladder looks just fine and so did also your prostate. When checking manually I could NOT find anything strange at all with your prostate so I am gong to give you medicine for these 2 reasons I have described"....

I paid later 3,200 baht for medicin for at least 21 days ahead and this appointment in hole.... Cheap or expensive I let you guys decide that. If some of you are interested about the medicines so let me give you the names.... But first I did mention that medicin; Doxazocin, that was mentioned here in the most positive ways.... My doctor said when I mentioned it, that no problem, but I have more modern medicines to give you. And with that I closed my mouth of course.....

So the medicines were; XATRAL, for enlarged prostate... FLAVORIN, for make it easy for peeing and pain and relaxing the muscles down there..... UROKA, I dont know exact but it works together with Xaral as I understand it.... and finally he gave me; CIPROTFLOXACIN, which is a urin-antibiotika-medicin......

So with luck this should be it for me, feels like a Freecard for getting out of jail of some sort... So quite happy now....

glegolo

Prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland, usually due to infection) will indeed raise the PSA though not usually as high as 14. 

With a normal manual exam and ultrasound it is reasonable to treat for prostatitis and then repeat the PSA after. But do make sure to repeat it.  

Antibiotic treatment for prostatitis is prolonged e.g. 8 weeks or even longer if  the infection is chronic. Longer treatment does increase the risk of side effects from quinolones (the class of antibiotic you were prescribed) so be alert to that but most people do fine. 

When the PSA is tepeated make sure not to have sex or masturbate for 24 - 48 hours before hand. And do stop the cycling for now until things clear up.

If after treatment for prostatitis the repeat  PSA is still over say 4 you might want to go to a university hospital for a second opinion.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland, usually due to infection) will indeed raise the PSA though not usually as high as 14. 

With a normal manual exam and ultrasound it is reasonable to treat for prostatitis and then repeat the PSA after. But do make sure to repeat it.  

Antibiotic treatment for prostatitis is prolonged e.g. 8 weeks or even longer if  the infection is chronic. Longer treatment does increase the risk of side effects from quinolones (the class of antibiotic you were prescribed) so be alert to that but most people do fine. 

When the PSA is tepeated make sure not to have sex or masturbate for 24 - 48 hours before hand. And do stop the cycling for now until things clear up.

If after treatment for prostatitis the repeat  PSA is still over say 4 you might want to go to a university hospital for a second opinion.

Thank you so much Sheryl,, all you say = well noted

glegolo

On 2/8/2020 at 8:22 PM, glegolo said:

I am convinced that you have besides an enlarged protate also an infection in your urin-bladder and that area...." 

Do you know how he found that infection? Did he do a urine test? Just curious because I also have frequent urination issues but all my tests come back clean. 

8 hours ago, Jkrungthep said:

Do you know how he found that infection? Did he do a urine test? Just curious because I also have frequent urination issues but all my tests come back clean. 

I know this sounds "fishy" at least. But it was pure guesswork, no test. The only check up was the ultrasound + finger up my rectrum. Plus of course based on the doctors experience..... 

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

The doctor is empirically treating for prostatitis because DRE and ulrasound findings were not suggestive of cancer but PSA very high.

He may or may not be right. If he is right PSA will drop dramatically after treatment. If it does not OP needs tplo go elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The doctor is empirically treating for prostatitis because DRE and ulrasound findings were not suggestive of cancer but PSA very high.

He may or may not be right. If he is right PSA will drop dramatically after treatment. If it does not OP needs tplo go elsewhere.

Thank you Sheryl. I may also add that this urologist IS working at Chaiyaphum public hospital as a full time doctor. I just visited his clinik because it is so much faster... I think I can get further treatment VIA this doctor at the hospital if it is needed....  But thanks anyhow for showing me the way... I am listening of course...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

• 4 weeks later...

A follow up from last time.... today 5th of march I went to the Lab of Chaiyaphum and took a controll PSA, I have to show this on saturday 7th march.... Ram Hospital debited me last time 890 baht, and now with this Lab I paid only 400 baht,,, great.....

I decided to be back at hrs 14.00 to pick up the result. I came, looked in the PSA-report and my PSA-value was fantastic 1,22!!!!!!!  I great dip from 14,7 down to 1,22.. Can you imagine happy falang???

Reason for this dip? Medicine for infection in urinbladder or something down there, medicin for enlarged prostate and finally a big thing I personally think... I have NOT touched the bicycle since 6th february, almost exactly 1 month.... All together this has pessed down the PSA to almost nothing.....

I shall se the doctor saturday next 7th of march, and can give a report then if any interest among you guys....

Thanks all of you again and also a big thank you to Doctor Sheryl....

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/5/2020 at 7:53 PM, glegolo said:

A follow up from last time.... today 5th of march I went to the Lab of Chaiyaphum and took a controll PSA, I have to show this on saturday 7th march.... Ram Hospital debited me last time 890 baht, and now with this Lab I paid only 400 baht,,, great.....

I decided to be back at hrs 14.00 to pick up the result. I came, looked in the PSA-report and my PSA-value was fantastic 1,22!!!!!!!  I great dip from 14,7 down to 1,22.. Can you imagine happy falang???

Reason for this dip? Medicine for infection in urinbladder or something down there, medicin for enlarged prostate and finally a big thing I personally think... I have NOT touched the bicycle since 6th february, almost exactly 1 month.... All together this has pessed down the PSA to almost nothing.....

I shall se the doctor saturday next 7th of march, and can give a report then if any interest among you guys....

Thanks all of you again and also a big thank you to Doctor Sheryl....

glegolo

Hi Glegolo, how are things down there? Everything rosy and back to normal? I am looking into going with Rezum, either in the UK or Australia next year. Don't want to have to go on the medicines.

45 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Hi Glegolo, how are things down there? Everything rosy and back to normal? I am looking into going with Rezum, either in the UK or Australia next year. Don't want to have to go on the medicines.

Hi, thank you for asking. I shall not complain. I am in a state of satisfaction if you know what I mean. I have replaced the heavenly expensive 2 medicines that the doctor gave me, and found copies here in Chaiyaphum (one on Sheryls recommendations) and that reduced my monthly cost from almost 4.000 baht down to 660 baht...

I eat now regularly like I said 2 medicines; 

Doxazosin 4 mg (DOZA-4) 2 baht a pill + 

Finastetide 5 mg (Harifin-5)  20 baht a pill...

I tried last month to stop the DOZA-4 just to withdraw a bit, but after 2 nights the relaxing of the "machinery" down south, was impacted... So I quickly went back again to DOZA-4, and I think I am stucked with these 2 medicines.

I have one more option and that is to slice the prostate through the dick you know, but I am so deeply tired if hospitals and cutting and operations, so I gonna do everyting just to eat my medicines and let things stay as they are....

I have no problem to live with the present situation at all.. no problem as long as it not worsens

Good luck with the Rezum-tretment. Googled it and have you got any clue if it it has been any success with it among the patients in general???

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

Hi, thank you for asking. I shall not complain. I am in a state of satisfaction if you know what I mean. I have replaced the heavenly expensive 2 medicines that the doctor gave me, and found copies here in Chaiyaphum (one on Sheryls recommendations) and that reduced my monthly cost from almost 4.000 baht down to 660 baht...

I eat now regularly like I said 2 medicines; 

Doxazosin 4 mg (DOZA-4) 2 baht a pill + 

Finastetide 5 mg (Harifin-5)  20 baht a pill...

I tried last month to stop the DOZA-4 just to withdraw a bit, but after 2 nights the relaxing of the "machinery" down south, was impacted... So I quickly went back again to DOZA-4, and I think I am stucked with these 2 medicines.

I have one more option and that is to slice the prostate through the dick you know, but I am so deeply tired if hospitals and cutting and operations, so I gonna do everyting just to eat my medicines and let things stay as they are....

I have no problem to live with the present situation at all.. no problem as long as it not worsens

Good luck with the Rezum-tretment. Googled it and have you got any clue if it it has been any success with it among the patients in general???

Glegolo

My father had TURP in December last year at the age of 88, a couple of months later had an operation to remove cancerous tissue from his bladder. He is doing okay now, but has to go in for regular checks.

Rezum was originally touted as a walk-in walk-out treatment, but that is very misleading. Many suffer from pain when urinating after treatment and have to take pain killers and antibiotics for a while, but usually those symptoms clear up after a couple of weeks. There is also the need for a catheter. You really don't start benefiting until a couple of months has passed, when your body has absorbed the dead tissue. However, one of the big pluses is that there is much lower risk of ED or impotence, when compared to TURP.  

What is also interesting about the Rezum treatment is that the UK National Health Service recognizes it as one of the best treatments from a cost/benefit perspective. In the long term it is cheaper than taking the BPH drugs for the rest of your life, and the benefits are nearly as good. 

A down side is that as the treatment is so new, they have not been able to conduct any detailed research as to how effective it is for more than 3 or 4 years.    

14 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Great, thank you for sharing. It is really valueable and securing to be able to hear other peoples struggles and successes...

glegolo

I seem to be functioning OK with just saw palmetto. Have BPH, PSA 1.42. My surgeon in Australia drily remarked saw palmetto works well with 50% of his patients. I won't be going on to pharmaceutical meds until i have to.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I seem to be functioning OK with just saw palmetto. Have BPH, PSA 1.42. My surgeon in Australia drily remarked saw palmetto works well with 50% of his patients. I won't be going on to pharmaceutical meds until i have to.

So this Palmetto is instead of Doxazosin + Finastetide???

My I ask you, is this Palmetto availible here in Thailand and if so, where to best find it??

thank you

glegolo

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am using Pygeum, which helps reduce the night time trips to the loo, but the stream is quite weak, so at the moment I am window shopping for Rezum. I was surprised at how expensive the treatment is in Singapore. Both England and Australia are much cheaper, with Australia being the cheapest so far at less than one third of the cost of Singapore. However, you also need to factor in flights and accommodation. 

FYI my PSA 2 years ago was 0.59. I'll have the test done again later this month as part of the annual physical covered by my employer. 

BTW I will be 58 in 2 months time. Just to show you that you don't have to wait until your 60's or 70's before your start suffering.

21 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I am using Pygeum, which helps reduce the night time trips to the loo, but the stream is quite weak, so at the moment I am window shopping for Rezum. I was surprised at how expensive the treatment is in Singapore. Both England and Australia are much cheaper, with Australia being the cheapest so far at less than one third of the cost of Singapore. However, you also need to factor in flights and accommodation. 

FYI my PSA 2 years ago was 0.59. I'll have the test done again later this month as part of the annual physical covered by my employer. 

BTW I will be 58 in 2 months time. Just to show you that you don't have to wait until your 60's or 70's before your start suffering.

Can I find Pygeum here in Thailand, and if so, where please???

glegolo

Nearly all the doctors are prescription dispensing machines. I despise big pharma, and deny them every opportunity I get. So, I use herbs.

Stinging nettle leaf and root have been used for thousands of years. I also like Dandelion leaf, which is a powerful diuretic, as well as reducing inflammation, lowering cholesterol, and many other benefits. Herbs can be very effective. They are the foundation of alot of modern medicine. Some get good results from Saw Palmetto too. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nearly all the doctors are prescription dispensing machines. I despise big pharma, and deny them every opportunity I get. So, I use herbs.

Stinging nettle leaf and root have been used for thousands of years. I also like Dandelion leaf, which is a powerful diuretic, as well as reducing inflammation, lowering cholesterol, and many other benefits. Herbs can be very effective. They are the foundation of alot of modern medicine. Some get good results from Saw Palmetto too. 

Thank you...

glegolo

21 hours ago, glegolo said:

My I ask you, is this Palmetto availible here in Thailand and if so, where to best find it??

thank you

glegolo

Evidence for Saw Plametto is mixed at best and I have not known anyone to get results equal to Doxazosin + Finasteride, though some people feel it is of some benefit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, glegolo said:

thank you

glegolo

I think you can buy it in Thailand at most pharmacies, but it is expensive. I buy it from iHerb ( Thanks, BMT ) from memory about 600 baht ( including freight ) for 90 capsules. Some say take twice a day, I take one. Be aware it is not a medication. It is a herbal extract, no prescription needed. Best thing about herbals is they usually don't have the side effects of pharmaceuticals.

https://www.iherb.com/search?sug=saw palmetto&kw=saw palmetto&rank=0

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

it is the same. Made by Mega.

Other brands also available from Lazada ad iHerb online.

Lazada is faster in terms of delivery, it usually takes 2-3 weeks to come from iHerb in the US. While I do buy various products from Lazada, I'm not willing to trust them in the field of pharmaceuticals and herbals.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:48 AM, Sheryl said:

Evidence for Saw Plametto is mixed at best and I have not known anyone to get results equal to Doxazosin + Finasteride, though some people feel it is of some benefit.

Saw Palmetto (2x day) does absolutely nothing ....... quack medicine.

Been taking it for 2 years, along with Doxazosin and Finasteride, absolutely zero effect.

Not convinced the Finasteride does anything either, but I'm not getting any worse.

If I stop taking the Doxazocin, I'm back to very difficult weeing in 2-3 days.

If I stop taking the Finasteride or Saw Palmetto, no noticeable effect.

But if you want Saw Palmetto, this is available in Thailand and cheaper than iHerb @ 600bht for 250 tabs.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/swanson-saw-palmetto-540-mg-per-serving-250-capsules-i1191712764-s2836068705.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 9:18 PM, GarryP said:

Unfortunately not. I buy it from Biovea online. 

I placed an order for Pygeum on Biovea on 25 September and received the order, which was shipped from the US, today, 7 October.  Not bad at all.   

Prostate massage is a real medical procedure.  I get one at least once a week having your Prostate milked is good for you.

You really cannot do it correctly yourself.

So seriously, find someone willing to take care of this.  There are instructions online maybe show them if they do not know what to do.  

Prostate massage with ejaculation is great medicine.