AIS TV to Drop Many Western Channels Like HBO Channels Effective March 2020

Pib

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I get HBO via a free app on my Samsung Tab S4. Let me know if you want details.

Sure alternative details would be great. But I don’t want to lose any channels there’s actually a few new TV show series I was really looking forward to watching on every channel they proposing cutting. Including every news channel except CNN. The service we have now is great I don’t want to lose any of it. 

I understand how it can be annoying to lose channels you had before. 

Now it is very easy to connect a tablet to smart tv. There are apps for US, UK, German, Spanish. Amazingly some have the pay channels like HBO, Sky movie channels. And they are free. I now use my tablet as a media centre. For fun I installed vietnamese, thai, mexican and other tv apps. I actually get more channels off the internet now, than I did with my satellite system.

If you do not have any joy with AIS you will be amazed what you can get for free online.

Alternative suggestions are great but the purpose of this topic is to warn other AIS customers and to get us all calling AIS ASAP to inquire and complain so they will hopefully not take away our channels. I want to spread awareness and make AIS aware of what a horrible idea this is not only for their customers but for themselves also. 

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Now it is very easy to connect a tablet to smart tv. There are apps for US, UK, German, Spanish. Amazingly some have the pay channels like HBO, Sky movie channels. And they are free. I now use my tablet as a media centre. For fun I installed vietnamese, thai, mexican and other tv apps. I actually get more channels off the internet now, than I did with my satellite system.

If you do not have any joy with AIS you will be amazed what you can get for free online.

I might have to figure out how to use that kind of stuff soon probably with vpn as well. 

17 minutes ago, RoiEtDale said:
20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I pay the same as the OP for hundreds of channels via IPTV. It's a brilliant service and I've recommended it to several ThaiVisa members, but not one has taken it up. Paying 600 a month for every channel you could ever want I guess is too much money for them to part with.

Are you taking about AIS or another service IPTV? 

Another service, that lets me access UK, USA and dozens of other countries, news, sport, movies, entertainment, catch-up on most channels. I just had to pay for the box, which was programmed for me. Any problems which might occasionally crop up are dealt with promptly. He is so service-minded that he only charges for three months at a time, not annually, in case the service is shut down - as happened to some other providers in Thailand and elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

In fact that will be my alternative if AIS does this because I ain’t switching back to True after they tried to pull the same stuff on us back in 2017 if I recall. I will leave AIS if they do this but I will not go back to True. I’ll start figuring out internet television like you. But it would be great if all of us AIS customers could get together on this and let’s all fight for our television service. That means we all gotta call AIS and threaten to take our business elsewhere. I told them that included all my business such as both iPhones, cable and internet services 4 services I have with AIS all 4 accounts they lose if they take our channels. All of us AIS customers have to be prepared to give AIS that ultimatum now, if we don’t we’re losing all of our channels for sure unless we can all explain to AIS why this hurts their company and their customers! 

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I subscribe to AIS Fiber monthly but I have never received any HBO channels before?

Mind telling me how to activate it?

Go to or call AIS and just ask but complain as well because we’re about to lose it in a month!!! I don’t understand because that’s literally the only marketing tool AIS has!!!!! 

Re all the western/EN language channels that AIS is dropping....

Are they going to end up ultimately being replaced by lots of Chinese channels, I wonder???  Or just more government controlled rubbish?  :tongue:

Another "sign of the times" indicator...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, RoiEtDale said:

I just got off the phone with an AIS supervisor and I submitted a huge complaint and I asked them to have their marketing department call me back. If they don’t call I will be calling everyday for sure. I think if their marketing department understood more about western culture they would know what a huge mistake they are truly making. I suspect they think a new contract will save them money which it might at first but within a year they will lose at least 50% of their business. True still has not recovered so I suspect maybe True wants their contract back I don’t know. True was a big enough company to survive it though I’m not sure AIS is big enough to survive in the business world if they lose this contract. At the very minimum losing this contract would put DTAC ahead of AIS this will at least put AIS way behind and it could lead to layoffs as well because AIS is no where near as big as True Visions.

I don’t think their corporate executives and their marketers are aware or have any idea of the seriousness of mistake they’re about to make simply because they probably don't know enough about western culture to understand that the difference in the television programming is like night and day, it’s like switching to brand X or non alcoholic beer no one wants it I was just trying to explain that to an AIS supervisor for an hour. They’re shooting themselves in the foot! And if anyone else gets the HBO contract like True again it’s over for AIS. As I was explaining that to the AIS supervisor I could tell by her tone of voice that she was understanding I am probably right as I was explaining it to her. I told her this could really hurt AIS and your employees as well not only the customers. And I could just hear the fear in her voice because I was explaining to her how no one wants their alternative channels and they will lose business especially if another company gets that contract AIS is hosed. 

I got to huge complaint then realised you probably haven't been here long.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Another service, that lets me access UK, USA and dozens of other countries, news, sport, movies, entertainment, catch-up on most channels. I just had to pay for the box, which was programmed for me. Any problems which might occasionally crop up are dealt with promptly. He is so service-minded that he only charges for three months at a time, not annually, in case the service is shut down - as happened to some other providers in Thailand and elsewhere.

What’s the name of the service or box you use? If it’s what I think it is I’ll have to get someone to program it because I think I had that before and it didn’t work. If it’s what I think it is. 

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You can see a couple EPL games on NBC, what I do is try not to see the scores,

and watch the games the next morning on footballorgin.com , fullmatchesandshows.com

or hdmatches.com. good enough for me.

regards worgeordie

I have no chance 2 teenage sons shouting when Man utd lose another match and the bin dippers forever getting more wins while watching on some crappy facebook stream

31 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Are you talking about that Android Box or is it something different? I didn’t like the Android box. Or maybe I just needed someone to program it because it’s a bit complicated. 

Edited by RoiEtDale

So survey are other AIS customers like me going to call AIS everyday and complain so hopefully we can prevent this??? Please do only we can save our own good service with AIS, if they don’t understand how badly this will effect us their customers than it’s definitely happening. Who else is calling AIS? I just want to see how many people reading this might care because come next month people are going to care for sure when our channels disappear!! Let’s stick together customers and start calling AIS! 

22 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I got to huge complaint then realised you probably haven't been here long.

In all likelihood, AIS probably really doesn't care, and they certainly don't care about some complaining farangs among their customers. The Thais will get what they want on FB or YT, if they can't find something they want via AIS.

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Go to 123tvnow.com  or ustvgo.tv  and you can get most of

those channels for free ,and they work very well,for me anyway.

regards worgeordie

If I wanted to watch a good selection of U.S. and UK live TV without paying for it, along with other countries as well, I'd probably use the Live Net TV Android app, which works on mobile devices as well as Android and Fire TV devices.  That way, no mucking around with exposing your PC to dodgy websites.

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In all likelihood, AIS probably really doesn't care, and they certainly don't care about some complaining farangs among their customers. The Thais will get what they want on FB or YT, if they can't find something they want via AIS.

AIS isn’t big enough to survive this like True was and this is at least 50% of their business and literally their only marketing tool they have, and not only foreigners either. AIS has to care because this is most of their whole business right here!!! At the very minimum if this happens AIS will be lucky to complete with DTAC lol or any company. They will fall way behind at the minimum if they stay in business at all after this.

If this happens I give AIS maybe two more years in business if that because if any other company gets that contract AIS is done for sure. They aren’t big enough to survive lol True did, and True still hasn’t recovered from it yet and True is a giant company. 

Surely AIS must know that because this contract is what made AIS popular in the first place. Now they can actually compete with True but without this contract AIS can no longer compete with any company definitely not True. Before AIS got this contract they were just a tiny company now they are competing with True, so if they lose this contract for a cheaper one that no one wants to watch AIS will be shooting themselves in the foot and possibly be out of business eventually in the coming years. I’m sure their corporate people must understand that. Or maybe they don’t know enough about western culture to understand how big of a mistake they are truly making business wise. 

So AIS kind of has no choice but to care if they you know like making money and having employees. Just little things like that lol. 

Edited by RoiEtDale
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RoiEtDale said:

AIS isn’t big enough to survive this like True was and this is at least 50% of their business and literally their only marketing tool they have, and not only foreigners either. AIS has to care because this is most of their whole business right here!!! At the very minimum if this happens AIS will be lucky to complete with DTAC lol or any company. They will fall way behind at the minimum if they stay in business at all after this.. 

I'm pretty sure AIS makes the vast majority of their revenue from prepaid and postpaid mobile services... And now lately, a growing but still smaller share from fiber internet services... I'm guessing, the PlayBox TV services aspect is pretty small in comparison.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm pretty sure AIS makes the vast majority of their revenue from prepaid and postpaid mobile services... And now lately, a growing but still smaller share from fiber internet services... I'm guessing, the PlayBox TV services aspect is pretty small in comparison.

It’s the only thing AIS has to separate them from any other company it’s literally their only marketing tool is AIS playbox with HBO and all sorts of western television channels all over the world in fact and not just American channels. Without it AIS might as well be DTAC ????

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AIS kind of has no choice but to care if they you know like making money and having employees. Just little things like that lol. 

52 minutes ago, RoiEtDale said:

What’s the name of the service or box you use? If it’s what I think it is I’ll have to get someone to program it because I think I had that before and it didn’t work. If it’s what I think it is. 

The service doesn't have a name. It's provided via an individual who, as I wrote, sets the box up. I had to do nothing except plug it in and turn it on.

Well give it time AIS just put the information out yesterday or today even. I’ll be watching for the next month as more people become aware but I’ll be calling AIS everyday as I hope everyone else will do. Let them know it’s gonna take a huge bite out of their revenue!! 

10 minutes ago, RoiEtDale said:

AIS kind of has no choice but to care if they you know like making money and having employees. Just little things like that lol. 

According to AIS's most recent annual report, 94% of their core revenues came from mobile services... Another 3% came from their fixed broadband services.  It looks like their digital services revenue is smaller than their fixed broadband segment. However, they are the largest mobile operator in Thailand with a 48% of revenues market share.  They're not going to live or die over HBO et. al. on Playbox.

1529707134_2020-02-0615_30_01.jpg.e23c277a8d5fe2d5b4bddd7f2fd939ec.jpg

349971202_2020-02-0615_27_42.jpg.869a0bef954f300d4bb42e630d225b2d.jpg