Shared IP Addresses

FredLee

Since February 1st I could not access a site that I have been a member of for over a year. It would time out, saying the site could not be reached. I tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari browsers with the same results, and I also tried two different devices. I notified their tech support by email, and he asked me for my IP address so he could check it out. The next day he replied and asked me if I had a shared IP address. He said my IP address was on a global greylist, and that sometimes that indicated that someone, perhaps a scammer was sharing my IP address to access sites. He showed a screen capture that showed my IP had attempted to access their site 380 times in a very short time frame. My ISP assigns me a dynamic IP, so I turned off and unplugged my router for about 15 minutes. When I reconnected I had a new IP address and was able to access the website with no problem. I had never heard of something like this, so I thought I would mention it here to see if anyone else has had this problem.