Going Home To Visit Family

I will be leaving in a few months to visit family back home and have my reentry pass. Question: I have funds threw social security that go to my bank account here have account for one for deposits and the other for paying bills out of. Now, the US does not allow the deposit account to have online or a debit card for that account. So, what do you do to move money from one account to another if I am out of the country? Can it be set up by the bank to move funds even though i am not present? First time going back home to visit. 

I will guess that you are using Bangkok Bank, as I am aware of that they are working that way with deposits of social security. 

What you can do is to go in to the bank and make auto return of your deposits. With that said you must know how long time you will stay home.

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I will guess that you are using Bangkok Bank, as I am aware of that they are working that way with deposits of social security. 

What you can do is to go in to the bank and make auto return of your deposits. With that said you must know how long time you will stay home.

Thank you as about a few months till we come back to Thailand now you mentioned auto return if it goes back to USA it goes back to social security?

Edited by InsertNameHere
adjusted response

14 minutes ago, InsertNameHere said:

Thank you as about a few months till we come back to Thailand now you mentioned auto return if it goes back to USA it goes back to social security?

Yes it does.

It seems you have a direct deposit account set up and your SSA payments are being direct deposited via Bangkok Bank's New York branch.

You could change to the relatively new International Direct Deposit (IDD) arrangement to a different account. No need to do all your transactions in person. Sign up form for it is here. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

If you are using your transfers to prove your income for an extension of stay at immigration there is one problem with IDD is that the transfers arrive as baht and transferred to the Bank of THailand (BOT) and are then transferred via BahtNet and will be shown as international transfers into your account.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it does.

It seems you have a direct deposit set up and your SSA payments are being direct deposited via Bangkok Bank's  New York branch.

You could change to the relatively new International Direct Deposit (IDD) arrangement to a different account. No need to do all your transactions in person. Sign up form for it is here. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

If you are using your transfers to prove your income for an extension of stay at immigration there is one problem with IDD is that the transfers arrive as baht and transferred to the Bank of THailand (BOT) and are then transferred via BahtNet and will be shown as international transfers into your account.

Thank you for this information as yes it is SSA Payments as I do not work (disabled) and it goes threw the branch in New York I just need to change or alter it for a few months then back to normal but my account shows years of the same deposits from SSA in or around the 3rd of each month. I would assume that they have to know or understand that at points of our marriage here we have to go back and forth for visiting family and during that time we need to be able to pay the bills here while of Thailand. There is so much emphasis put on funds they neglect to understand people live their lives on that money it is not for just sitting in bank for Thailand but who am I.... lol

I have the same account at Bangkok Bank. My planning for any trips would be to leave shortly after the 3rd of the month and return around the 3rd of the next month. But I doubt it would much more than a couple of weeks.

If your are regularly using the same bank branch you might be able to arrange with them to allow somebody to initiate the transfer to your other account. Just complete the forms sign them and attach a copy of your passport to them.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have the same account at Bangkok Bank. My planning for any trips would be to leave shortly after the 3rd of the month and return around the 3rd of the next month. But I doubt it would much more than a couple of weeks.

If your are regularly using the same bank branch you might be able to arrange with them to allow somebody to initiate the transfer to your other account. Just complete the forms sign them and attach a copy of your passport to them.

Was going to do that and talk to the manager of the branch by where we live and yes been with the bank for many years and have the 2 accounts described above one for depositing (no online or debit card) and the other for paying the bills here. So, what happens is money goes into the account and then i have to go to the bank and move money into my other account. 

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

as Ubonjoe said, you can now get a direct deposit to your local account at Bangkok Bank (or others).  

Fill out the form and mail it to the SS office in Manila.

I did mine last May (middle of the month) and the money started being deposited 3 July.

I access my money with an ATM card.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Whats wrong with using the Bangkok bank debit card and phone banking?

Well the issue is the way the account is set up as the bank does not allow that account access to a card or online as it makes you have to go to the bank in person which normally is not really an issue till now where we will start going back and forth to USA and need to be able to move the money to pay bills without going to the bank in person and need the online access as we can move money via the phones

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Whats wrong with using the Bangkok bank debit card and phone banking?

I guess you missed the fact that he has a special account for direct deposits that requires him to do all transactions in person (no ATM/Debit card or online banking).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, InsertNameHere said:

Well the issue is the way the account is set up as the bank does not allow that account access to a card or online as it makes you have to go to the bank in person which normally is not really an issue till now where we will start going back and forth to USA and need to be able to move the money to pay bills without going to the bank in person and need the online access as we can move money via the phones

Yeah, I've got one of those with TMB.