Updating TM30 at CM immigration

jackdd

As most people here probably know, in Chiang Mai it's possible to "update" a TM30, by just taking the passport and the old TM30 receipt there. They enter this in their system and put a new date stamp on the old receipt, no additional documents required.

Today me and my girlfriend stopped by to get this done, it's Saturday so it were not the usual TM30 desk upstairs, but two IOs downstairs at the information counter who processed it.

We were asked at which kind of place we are staying, we told them that my girlfriend is renting the house and i'm just staying there with her.

The senior IO explained to us, that because there have been people abusing the easy update process (reporting themself as staying at an address where they are not staying anymore), they are going to change the TM30 reporting requirement. Either the owner has to do it himself or we would have to get a power of attorney from him each time we update the TM30 to do it in his name. Followed by a "This time i still do it for you like this, but next time the owner has to do the TM30".

Of course we will have to see how this turns out, and if it ever reaches the upstairs desk, this is nothing certain yet.

But the next time i will at least take a house book copy and the rental contract there, just to be prepared in case that they make this more cumbersome

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Just do it online. It's dead easy?

Using the Section 38 app?  Well, I successfully registered with the Section 38 app and then updated at the end of October after returning from a brief trip abroad (and made photocopies of the screen showing I successfully updated).  Then, just to make sure Immigration was okay with this, I stopped by the next day, briefly advised what I did and asked if I was all set (while handing the printout to the girl).  She just tossed the printout in the wastebasket, asked for my passport, and proceeded to do her own update.  She said that the online deal was for owners only (and she wasn't very pleasant while advising of that).

Actually, no big deal and as it's easy to update (did it two weeks ago and it took me all of 3 minutes).  If, however, they pull the routine mentioned by Jackdd above, then it's going to be a big problem as my landlord has no clue when I jump out of country for a brief trip...and he surely won't want to play the update game.

Edited by CMBob

51 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Using the Section 38 app?  Well, I successfully registered with the Section 38 app and then updated at the end of October after returning from a brief trip abroad (and made photocopies of the screen showing I successfully updated).  Then, just to make sure Immigration was okay with this, I stopped by the next day, briefly advised what I did and asked if I was all set (while handing the printout to the girl).  She just tossed the printout in the wastebasket, asked for my passport, and proceeded to do her own update.  She said that the online deal was for owners only (and she wasn't very pleasant while advising of that).

Actually, no big deal and as it's easy to update (did it two weeks ago and it took me all of 3 minutes).  If, however, they pull the routine mentioned by Jackdd above, then it's going to be a big problem as my landlord has no clue when I jump out of country for a brief trip...and he surely won't want to play the update game.

I am not familiar with the Section 38 app, but when you register on the IO TM30 website you can do this on behalf of the owner.  You only need to upload a scan of the house-book and a (signed) front/back copy of the owner's ID-card.  When you use your e-mail address, you will be able to access the site and file the TM30s of yourself (and any other foreign guests) staying at your girlfriend's rental condo.

You can also register as tenant of the condo (in that case a copy of the rental agreement and a copy of the (signed) front/back of your thai girlfriend's ID-card would do.

I compiled a comprehensive step-by-step instruction on how to do the above, just PM me if you are interested in receiving a copy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CMBob said:

HI CMBob,

Can you put up the WEB link to the site please - would be grateful.

Rgds

47 minutes ago, factseeker said:

HI CMBob,

Rgds

You asked for the Section 38 app, which I am not familiar with.  But I PM-ed you a comprehensive step-by-step instruction on how to register on the IO TM30 website and subsequently file your TM30s on-line.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

You asked for the Section 38 app, which I am not familiar with.  But I PM-ed you a comprehensive step-by-step instruction on how to register on the IO TM30 website and subsequently file your TM30s on-line.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum

Thankyou

2 minutes ago, factseeker said:

Thankyou

Just read it - Needs more than a thank you - very decent of you - previously like you I have groped my way through bureaucracy - in particular my first TM30 episode - so I know how it can be and realise the value of your information - thank you once more.

Best Rgds.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, factseeker said:

HI CMBob,

Rgds

Obviously I am not CMBob.  However, this is where I have filed TM30 before... Now I use the mobile phone app.

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

By the way, the mobile phone app updates on this site for me.  I go to this site to print the information after registering on my phone.

Edited by hml367

6 hours ago, factseeker said:

HI CMBob,

Rgds

I got it from Playstore.....called Section38 (android version).  I know nothing of the online version [I downloaded the Section38 app, successfully registered via that (got confirming email, etc.), successfully updated my TM30, and was all for nought as I described above].  Given it's so easy/quick to update in person, that'll be the way I do it in the future.

17 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Please PM your comprehensive step-by-step instructions on how to register on the IO TM30 website etc to me as well. Many thanks

3 minutes ago, aree2 said:

Please PM your comprehensive step-by-step instructions on how to register on the IO TM30 website etc to me as well. Many thanks

Done. 

To access your PM-message just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

23 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

I am not familiar with the Section 38 app, but when you register on the IO TM30 website you can do this on behalf of the owner.  You only need to upload a scan of the house-book and a (signed) front/back copy of the owner's ID-card.  When you use your e-mail address, you will be able to access the site and file the TM30s of yourself (and any other foreign guests) staying at your girlfriend's rental condo.

You can also register as tenant of the condo (in that case a copy of the rental agreement and a copy of the (signed) front/back of your thai girlfriend's ID-card would do.

I compiled a comprehensive step-by-step instruction on how to do the above, just PM me if you are interested in receiving a copy.

I have done it multiple  times online and only (first time) a copy of my lease and passport.  Owner is out of the country and was not involved.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When registering as a tenant with a rental contract, you just need to submit the first page of the contract and the photo/info page from your passport. No need for a copy of a Thai ID-card. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I have done it multiple  times online and only (first time) a copy of my lease and passport.  Owner is out of the country and was not involved.

Yes that's correct, you only need to upload the documents when REGISTERING on the IO TM30 website.  No documents needed to actually file your TM30s, which only involves inputting and uploading the data of foreigners (including yourself) staying at your place after returning from a domestic or international trip.

25 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

When registering as a tenant with a rental contract, you just need to submit the first page of the contract and photo/info page from your passport. No need for a copy of a Thai ID-card. 

Correct, but since it is his thai girlfriend who is the tenant of the condo where he is staying, she would have to provide her credentials to register, which would be a thai ID-card.  When he would be renting the condo, and registering as tenant he can use the photo/info page from his passport.

On 2/8/2020 at 3:12 PM, Peter Denis said:

Would you be kind enough to send me the same please.

15 hours ago, Max69xl said:

When registering as a tenant with a rental contract, you just need to submit the first page of the contract and the photo/info page from your passport. No need for a copy of a Thai ID-card. 

What about registering as a foreign husband of a Thai where my Thai wife owns the property. What is required please?

Edited by stament

2 hours ago, stament said:

What about registering as a foreign husband of a Thai where my Thai wife owns the property. What is required please?

You can register on the IO TM30 website, on behalf of your wife who owns the property where you are staying.

You would need to upload a copy of the house-book and a (signed) front/back copy of her thai ID-card.

When doing the above, use your own e-mail address as recipient address.

>> The above is further elaborated in more detail in the comprehensive step-by-step instruction I PM-ed you to register to the IO TM30 website and subsequently file your TM30s (as well as those of any foreigner staying at your wife's property).

• Thanks 1

This is getting more and more ridiculous. I feel that some immigration officer has nothing to do except make life difficult for foreigners.

Wouldn't a electricity bill of the address be sufficient to prove we are still staying there? 

Every year, they think of more and more documentation required.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 8:52 AM, EricTh said:

This is getting more and more ridiculous. I feel that some immigration officer has nothing to do except make life difficult for foreigners.

Wouldn't a electricity bill of the address be sufficient to prove we are still staying there? 

Every year, they think of more and more documentation required.

Once you have the answers they change the questions. Usual BS

On 3/7/2020 at 3:43 AM, HullyGully said:

When you report / update TM30 online using the IMM App, do you receive a confirmation email to insert into your passport

I don't know about the IMM App, but when you use the IO TM30 website to file your TM30s on-line, you won't receive any confirmation e-mail.

However, after having filed your TM30 on-line, you can access the data you uploaded in the IO TM30 database and make a screenshot.  That screenshot will prove without a shadow of doubt that you filed your TM30.

• Like 1

i just went to extend my tm30 but its true now they need the owner to come wit you or you need copies id card and tambien baan and a power of attorny letter with GOVERMENT STAMPS on it. i took the owner and needed nothing, this was at promonada

rick

Edited by rickthailand

4 hours ago, rickthailand said:

i just went to extend my tm30 but its true now they need the owner to come wit you or you need copies id card and tambien baan and a power of attorny letter with GOVERMENT STAMPS on it. i took the owner and needed nothing, this was at promonada

rick

Will they accept a Yellow Book instead of all that?