Activating Windows10.

NoshowJones

I sent to Lazada for a key no to get Windows 10 on my spare laptop, they delivered it to me and I took it with the laptop

to my local computer shop, the guy set it up for me and it only lasted a few weeks, this has now happened three times and the

computer guy said it should be permanent.

Are these key nos you buy from Lazada or any other store reliable? If not, what is the best way for me to get windows 10 permanently?

You need to stop taking your computer to the shop and learn how to do things for yourself with the help of the people here.

The benefit of this is that we know exactly what has been installed and can follow up as we have a record of what was done.

Since none of us have any idea of what your local computer shop has done or anything about your device, it might be an idea to start from scratch.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You need to stop taking your computer to the shop and learn how to do things for yourself with the help of the people here.

The benefit of this is that we know exactly what has been installed and can follow up as we have a record of what was done.

Since none of us have any idea of what your local computer shop has done or anything about your device, it might be an idea to start from scratch.

How do we know exactly what has been installed?

Edited by Don Mega

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The best way is you buy a license directly from Microsoft in a shop or online. Then you can be sure that license is not used with lots of other PCs and in case you have a problem with that license you can call Microsoft and get it fixed for free.

If you ask someone else to input the license information for you then better make sure you trust that person. Otherwise he/she might use that license not only for your PC...

Great information, thanks.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

What was the reasoning behind sending the laptop to a shop to have them punch in a few numbers you could have done yourself ?

Believe it or not but some people feel more comfortable if a "professional" does something - especially if you tried it yourself and failed.

I think it's up to each person how much the want to learn about computers.

Some people want to learn everything (and often they fail) and others just want someone to fix it. And it doesn't matter to them if the fix is inputting a number or a lot of complicated work. Just make that thing work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Believe it or not but some people feel more comfortable if a "professional" does something - especially if you tried it yourself and failed.

Some people want to learn everything (and often they fail) and others just want someone to fix it. And it doesn't matter to them if the fix is inputting a number or a lot of complicated work. Just make that thing work!

Fair enough.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

What was the reasoning behind sending the laptop to a shop to have them punch in a few numbers you could have done yourself ?

It is not as simple as it sounds, especially if you are not computer literate enough. When it comes to operating a computer, I am not interested in learning and studying things I am hardly ever going to use.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It is not as simple as it sounds, especially if you are not computer literate enough. When it comes to operating a computer, I am not interested in learning and studying things I am hardly ever going to use.

Yeah, OneMoreFarang pointed out some may struggle with such a simple thing to perform and I understand why they would use a random person to do it.... lets hop they did not install a key logger as well !!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

How do we know exactly what has been installed?

By giving him specific instruction on how and where to download clean media from Microsoft and how to activate it. We have no idea what the computer guy has installed. But clearly he hasn't done his work properly.

So I prefer to start with a clean slate.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Great information, thanks.

Not that great. Terrible in fact.

I have not had a single instance of an eBay purchased Windows 10 licence failing. 

So if this activation has failed three times, I would be looking more closely at the "computer guy."

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

By giving him specific instruction on how and where to download clean media from Microsoft and how to activate it. We have no idea what the computer guy has installed. But clearly he hasn't done his work properly.

So I prefer to start with a clean slate.

Where was a clean install of the operating system mentioned ?

Either way the microsoft website is very informative and easily navigated !!

Super cheap W10 licenses from the net often fail from the start or after a while.

There are more (and less) reputable license sellers out there.

My W10 license cost about 13 Euro from a shop in Germany e.g. and works since more than a year. That is a properly registered company.

It has become more expensive in the meantime.

Can you at least tell what W10 version it is? Home? Pro?

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah, OneMoreFarang pointed out some may struggle with such a simple thing to perform and I understand why they would use a random person to do it.... lets hop they did not install a key logger as well !!

Key logger? What's that?

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But it isn't working, is it?

So what's the point of talking up a "professional" when that very person has made a hash of it.

So far, your contribution is for him to spend thousands on a new licence and then hundreds more for someone to input the number for him. 

Poor...very poor.

This is a Technical forum, where we give Technical advice. Not sending them off to the nearest shop to spend thousands unnecessarily.  Really poor.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I have not had a single instance of an eBay purchased Windows 10 licence failing. 

So if this activation has failed three times, I would be looking more closely at the "computer guy."

I did not purchase it from ebay, I purchased from Lazada.

Just now, possum1931 said:

I did not purchase it from ebay, I purchased from Lazada.

I know. I read that. 

But since I have no idea as to what your computer shop has done, we cannot necessarily fault the key at this stage.

Of course some posters jump the gun and tell you to spend thousands of baht on a new key, without any kind of diagnosis.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

If you never had a problem on eBay that is obviously proof that everything is 100% ok on eBay.

Yeah, sure. What we do all do without your expert advice? 555

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Key logger? What's that?

This covers my point exactly. We have no idea as to what they have installed to your laptop and neither do you.

Which is why you should at least try to learn how to do simple tasks such as these, in order to protect yourself.

Troll-like advice suggesting you spend thousands on a new licence and to take it to a shop isn't doing you any favours.

You have people here actually trying to help. The others are simply fobbing you off with careless 'advice'.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Of course some posters jump the gun and tell you to spend thousands of baht on a new key, without any kind of diagnosis.

Just looked it up.

At the shop where I bought the current price is 27.99 Euro (~960 Baht, ~30 USD).

But indeed without proper analysis on the laptop it might be useless e.g. if the shop just did some hack instead of using the license.

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

This covers my point exactly. We have no idea as to what they have installed to your laptop and neither do you.

Which is why you should at least try to learn how to do simple tasks such as these, in order to protect yourself.

Troll-like advice suggesting you spend thousands on a new licence and to take it to a shop isn't doing you any favours.

You have people here actually trying to help. The others are simply fobbing you off with careless 'advice'.

And what advice/help can you offer someone who is not capable of entering an activation key let alone performing a clean install other than take it to a shop ?