Ten top businesses hit by coronavirus spread, damages could amount to Bt150 bn

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

However, the damage would rise to Bt150 billion if the scourge period prolonged past three months. In addition, tourist arrivals would drop by 3 million in this case, he warned.

Drop by 3 mio ? Still 37 mio coming to Thailand even if there is a continuous danger of becoming infected ...?

Keep on dreaming ... may be some hard core chinese still coming because they know that they are infected already and want to enjoy a last vacation ...?

Thai tourism will crash completely if the outspread of the virus continues and more and more cases are reported ...

I am figuring at least 6 months up to 18 months for the virus to go through the Thai population.  At first I  figured we would be safe in the country but A lot of Thai's will go home for songklan and quite a few will be carriers. So I have changed my mind.  We will be just as vulnerable!  

It’s looking like a perfect storm for Thailand

They will likely never totally recover from this without a sea change.

They will need to give everything to China.

Its a Cambodian situation 

Edited by Redline

They keep on making these tourism projections. I heard one report where forward bookings over the next three months for many hotels were down to 0% occupancy. How do you calculate that, in terms of tourism income? 

This situation is relatively unprecedented, with Thailand being #2 in the world for reported cases. All bets are off at the moment. 

5 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

After what that disgusting, filthy, racist, moron health minister said about white people, nothing makes me more happy than to see his country go down the economic toilet!!!

Do not worry , once he realises virus threat not going anywhere anytime soon he will be praising all the white foreigners 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

They keep on making these tourism projections. I heard one report where forward bookings over the next three months for many hotels were down to 0% occupancy. How do you calculate that, in terms of tourism income? 

This situation is relatively unprecedented, with Thailand being #2 in the world for reported cases. All bets are off at the moment. 

That number 2 position is million miles behind the number 1 position but only a few inches from the numbers 3, 4 5 etc., just to keep things in perspective.

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

Do not worry , once he realises virus threat not going anywhere anytime soon he will be praising all the white foreigners 

I'd like to see that. Kowtowing naked with head on the concrete on prime time TV 6pm to a Pattaya farang in a wifebeater for three months straight would be a good start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I'd like to see that. Kowtowing naked with head on the concrete on prime time TV 6pm to a Pattaya farang in a wifebeater for three months straight would be a good start.

It’s only virus outbreak not a nuke war????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

That number 2 position is million miles behind the number 1 position but only a few inches from the numbers 3, 4 5 etc., just to keep things in perspective.

It is all about perception. Do people act rationally, when it comes to a virus scare? They look at Thailand's position and their infamous reputation as being a Chinese resort outpost. That can't help. 

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is all about perception. Do people act rationally, when it comes to a virus scare? They look at Thailand's position and their infamous reputation as being a Chinese resort outpost. That can't help. 

That may be true of visitors from some countries but I doubt it is true of the West, most Brits and Americans for example wouldn't even consider or know about the relationship between China and Thailand.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, saengd said:

That may be true of visitors from some countries but I doubt it is true of the West, most Brits and Americans for example wouldn't even consider or know about the relationship between China and Thailand.

Rather too many of the Americans I met while working in the US referred to Thailand as "Taiwan" and presumably believed it was the same place

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Rather too many of the Americans I met while working in the US referred to Thailand as "Taiwan" and presumably believed it was the same place

When I lived in the US in the 1970's I met people who asked what state London was in...seriously.

25 minutes ago, saengd said:
1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

When I lived in the US in the 1970's I met people who asked what state London was in...seriously.

Texas, of course.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

I know countless Americans, who have never left the country. Some are limited to a one week trip to Mexico or the Caribbean. One of them owns a $100,000 motor home. They prefer traveling around "the greatest nation on earth". What can one say?

Since when should businesses always expect best case scenario?

Every year more tourists with more money is not realistic and nobody should expect it.

I.e. retail: People will still buy what they need to buy. But some won't buy now what they never really needed. Good! 

Let's bring business down to a realistic everyday level. Then things like a virus won't have a huge impact like now.