Migrants raped and trafficked as U.S. and Mexico tighten borders, charity says

webfact

Migrants raped and trafficked as U.S. and Mexico tighten borders, charity says

By Christine Murray

2020-02-11T180736Z_1_LYNXMPEG1A1LU_RTROPTP_4_USA-IMMIGRATION-MEXICO-SHELTERS.JPG

Central American migrants, returned from the U.S. to Nuevo Laredo in Mexico under the Migrant Protection Protocol (MPP) to wait for their court hearing for asylum seekers, are seen walking towards a shelter after arriving to Monterrey, Mexico July 31, 2019. Picture taken July 31, 2019. REUTERS/Daniel Becerril

MEXICO CITY (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Central American migrants are being kidnapped, raped and trafficked in Mexico as they seek to enter the United States amid a migration crackdown, a medical charity said on Tuesday.

In Mexico's Nuevo Laredo city - separated from the United States by the Rio Grande - almost 80% of migrants treated by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) in the first nine months of 2019 said they had been victims of violence, including kidnapping.

"They're treated as if they aren't really people," Sergio Martin, Mexico coordinator for MSF, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation. "They've suffered violence ... and what they find on their journey is more violence."

Mexico has ramped up efforts to stop Central American migrants, often fleeing violent crime and poverty, reaching the U.S. border under pressure from President Donald Trump who threatened to put import tariffs on its goods.

It has deployed the National Guard to stop migrants crossing northwards and increased detentions and deportations.

Mexico's immigration authority and interior ministry did not immediately respond to requests for comment. President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has said he wants to apply immigration laws while respecting migrants' human rights.

The United States has sent 57,000 non-Mexican migrants back to Mexico to await their U.S. asylum hearings, restricted asylum criteria and limited the number of claims it receives daily at each port of entry.

A U.S. Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said the program to keep asylum seekers in Mexico, known as Migrant Protection Protocols or MPP, was supported by both governments and had given due process to more than 57,000 migrants.

"MPP is one of the most important and effective tools we have implemented to confront the crisis on the border and we will continue to strengthen and expand," the spokesperson said.

In September, 18 of 41 patients in Nuevo Laredo who had been sent back to Mexico to wait for U.S. asylum processing told MSF they had recently been kidnapped.

"We think that as a direct result of many of these policies there are people who are suffering more violence," said Martin.

"It's easier for them to fall into human trafficking networks or into extortion networks, and no one look for them."

MSF found 78% of almost 3,700 patients in Mexico who sought mental health care in 2018 and 2019 showed signs of exposure to violence, including assault, sexual violence and torture.

Some patients said they had been kidnapped in Mexico for long periods for forced labour, sexual exploitation or recruitment to work for criminal groups.

Almost one in four female migrants told MSF they had experienced sexual violence on their journeys.

The MSF data was based on some 26,000 health consultations with migrants in 2018 and 2019, testimonials and a survey.

(Editing by Katy Migiro and Claire Cozens. Please credit the Thomson Reuters Foundation, the charitable arm of Thomson Reuters, that covers humanitarian news, women's and LGBT+ rights, human trafficking, property rights, and climate change. Visit http://news.trust.org)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-12
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Bluespunk

There is a huge difference between a country or a person inviting someone in versus people breaking the law and entering on their own.  I would doubt that you would be open to someone entering your home uninvited to flee being homeless, and hungry.  The USA has more immigrants than the rest of the world combined.  Every country has the right to protect its citizens and its borders.  With respect to these people if they had not attempted to cross into the USA they would not have put themselves at risk of being victimized by unscrupulous Mexicans.  Not any different that the Africans that cross the Mediterranean putting their lives at risk.  The best thing would be for countries to send a clear message that those entering illegally will be sent back.  That would curb the flow of people attempting to enter. 

As Australia has demonstrated. The boats have stopped. I'm sure many of the never to enter illegals have quietly been allowed to enter through dodgy medical complaints, but the broader message is out there.

And if you do come well good luck on Christmas Island and the coronavirus.

Just joking.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

They CLAIM to have been raped and trafficked, good sob story if you are aiming for asylum, most are liars and even if it were true what is the USA meant to do let anyone in with a sob story because it might be true?

Do you have evidence to back your claim ‘most are liars’ or are you making an unsubstantiated assertion?!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Bluespunk

There is a huge difference between a country or a person inviting someone in versus people breaking the law and entering on their own.  I would doubt that you would be open to someone entering your home uninvited to flee being homeless, and hungry.  The USA has more immigrants than the rest of the world combined.  Every country has the right to protect its citizens and its borders.  With respect to these people if they had not attempted to cross into the USA they would not have put themselves at risk of being victimized by unscrupulous Mexicans.  Not any different that the Africans that cross the Mediterranean putting their lives at risk.  The best thing would be for countries to send a clear message that those entering illegally will be sent back.  That would curb the flow of people attempting to enter. 

Please answer the following (I’ll keep it simple):

If somebody enters the US to claim asylum, which law have they broken?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Please answer the following (I’ll keep it simple):

If somebody enters the US to claim asylum, which law have they broken?

In simple terms...

• If you cross the border without the correct paperwork - you are an illegal immigrant and have broken the immigrations laws. Until you seek asylum. Then you are an asylum seeker.
  • If you show up at the border and seek asylum - you are an asylum seeker.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Forethat said:

In simple terms...

• If you cross the border without the correct paperwork - you are an illegal immigrant and have broken the immigrations laws. Until you seek asylum. Then you are an asylum seeker.
  • If you show up at the border and seek asylum - you are an asylum seeker.

Yup, so a person entering to seek asylum has not broken the law.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yup, so a person entering to seek asylum has not broken the law.

Don't actually know how that works in the US. In the UK you are an illegal immigrant if you enter illegally. Intention to seek asylum is overruled.

Personally, I'm not sure I agree with that approach, but that's the legal position and I don't see that changing any time soon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Don't actually know how that works in the US. In the UK you are an illegal immigrant if you enter illegally. Intention to seek asylum is overruled.

Personally, I'm not sure I agree with that approach, but that's the legal position and I don't see that changing any time soon.

You are not sure how it works in the UK either:

Immigration and Asylum Act 1999: Section 31.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I would not turn away those fleeing violence or levels of poverty that cause such desperation that people flee their homeland, nor would I expect to be turned away if I was doing the same.

Do you seriously believe people would expose themselves to such terrible dangers and the perils of dealing with human trafficking scum if they truly had no other choice?

And I suppose you (as a country) would allow just about anybody who 'claimed' violence and abuse (Assylum)  to just walk in freely???????? how do you verify this --- other than them just seeking a richer way of life (at other's expense).   HAVE YOU been there among them to know 'ANYTHING' about what you talk??????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You are not sure how it works in the UK either:

Immigration and Asylum Act 1999: Section 31.

I might not have explained this clearly enough. It is the definition of your status at the point of crossing the border illegally I refer to, not the legal position once you have seeked asylum (you're an asylum seeker in both cases). In the US you are by definition allowed to cross the border illegally if your intention is to seek asylum. In the UK you are not. Once you HAVE seeked asylum it's a different matter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kensawadee said:

And I suppose you (as a country) would allow just about anybody who 'claimed' violence and abuse (Assylum)  to just walk in freely???????? how do you verify this --- other than them just seeking a richer way of life (at other's expense).   HAVE YOU been there among them to know 'ANYTHING' about what you talk??????

I know that anyone fleeing violence and poverty does so because they have reached such a point of despair that they would rather face the dangers involved in leaving their homeland than stay. 

Such people should be helped and welcomed, not sending back to the misery they fled. 

Let us hope that you one day face the same choices, it may help you develop some empathy. 

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I know that anyone fleeing violence and poverty does so because they have reached such a point of despair that they would rather face the dangers involved in leaving their homeland than stay. 

Such people should be helped and welcomed, not sending back to the misery they fled. 

Let us hope that you one day face the same choices, it may help you develop some empathy. 

Why the confused Emoji to my post

I spelled it out clearly, I thought. if you are just looking for a fight (we did that before),, then cool off.     If I CAN EXPLAIN MORE ...... Please just ask.....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kensawadee said:

Why the confused Emoji to my post

I spelled it out clearly, I thought. if you are just looking for a fight (we did that before),, then cool off.     If I CAN EXPLAIN MORE ...... Please just ask.....

A fight...jesus. 

Grow up. 

As to having you explain anything, there’s nothing I wish to learn from you. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You did say:

53 minutes ago, Forethat said:

In the UK you are an illegal immigrant if you enter illegally. Intention to seek asylum is overruled.

Hogwash, as numerous people climbing out of shipping containers and declaring their intent to seek asylum have demonstrated.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

"I know that anyone fleeing violence and poverty does so because"   YOU CLAIMED.

HOW DO YOU KNOW???? I live there among them in California. YOU are just guessing, without a bit of real knowledge..... Just let the USA and Mexico work it out. THEY know a bit more what is happening than YOU who is just reading the post and 'GUESSING'.

• Thanks 1

Just now, kensawadee said:

"I know that anyone fleeing violence and poverty does so because"   YOU CLAIMED.

HOW DO YOU KNOW???? I live there among them in California. YOU are just guessing, without a bit of real knowledge..... Just let the USA and Mexico work it out. THEY know a bit more what is happening than YOU who is just reading the post and 'GUESSING'.

As I say, I hope that one day you can learn empathy. 

• Like 1