So proud to be Thai! American born funny man gets Thai nationality at last

webfact

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Seems his parents where children of god cultists and he was brought up in it, changed their name to the family in the 90's as a result of the accusations of widespread child sexual abuse and corporal punishment, completely barmy like most cults. Many who grew up in it have been phsycologicaly damaged, not saying he was, but you have to wonder.

Sounds like Orton Rd has finally gone round the bend. 

Rooster

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Born to missionary parents?

Is he trying to convert Thai people to Christianity or was he converted to Buddhism instead?

So what's the criteria for a successful citizenship? Able to tell humorous stories?

Then there are many comedians on the internet who are qualified.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Reciprocal laws are the way forward.

Marriage, visas, business, land... the lot.

Level the playing field.

We've been taken for mugs long enough.

Bring. It. On!

Westerners can line up in the rain for hours with huge Manila folders of documents just to get a three month tourist visa, if they aren’t rejected without the IO looking at it. 

Thais can throw a measly $25,000 in the bank and effectively live forever in the west on ‘retirement‘ extension.

Yes, quite a good idea this reciprocal stuff...

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I remember him posting a video complaining about the trouble he was having with (I think) red ants in his house.

He managed to make his rant humorous which the Thais really liked.

Yes i remember that, he wanted to eat them! But he is also a member of this forum, maybe he can post that ant movie again?

10 hours ago, nev said:

Is this a joke.☺️

They did say he was a comedian... I wonder how many local Thai villagers think he was making fun of them with this weird excessive gone native stuff. Will he still be taxed on his worldwide income, or will he be able to afford giving up American citizenship?

Edited by Jare
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Congratulations to Udom. His long wait has finally come to an end.

The man grew up here, went to school here, raised a family here, earns his living here, pays his taxes here. He speaks perfect Thai with almost no noticeable accent, has integrated extremely well (and even down to the humiliatingly submissive "kraab", it seems), feels and thinks like a Thai, and loves this country from the depth of his heart. Yet still he had to fight an uphill battle and jump through hoops for decades, and despite the fact that the vast majority of bureaucrats that handled his case were very very likely direct descendants of (Chinese) immigrants themselves.

Now just imagine if our western countries treated literally hundreds of thousands of Thai-born wives and other Thai expats the same way. Instead, they normally receive permanent residency after a couple of years and even get the option to take on the nationality of their host country after a further couple of years hence. With very little bureaucracy involved. Because humanity has greater priority and we DO recognize their contributions to our societies. I also should add that their residence permit or naturalization document usually doesn't cost them a single cent (unlike in Thailand). 

Seems he didn't know the process here. The cost is only 5000 baht and since the new government it takes roughly 3 years if married. 

The usa takes at least 3 years with a green card before citizenship and cost a lot more 

Edited by yankee99

18 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Probably wais taxi drivers, wears a yellow shirt and stands up at 6 PM, weird, 'proud' ? Came here as a missionary sounds like children of god cult, quite a few of those including singer Christy and Jonas Anderson

Not sure what you mean by god cult. But I met Christy and Jonas couple of times. First at our local immigration office when they were renewing their extensions of stay several years ago; and secondly when they were performing at a local Loy Kratong event. 

Both were nice to talk to and Christy was very nice to my disabled son.

Good luck to this guy. He's been here since very young and made a life for his family.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1