A Nice Quiet Place To Retire

mrwebb8825

Wasn't sure where this belonged so thought I'd put it here and mods can move it if there's a better place. I'm asking for my Dad. He's an 82 year old American with a pension/SS, basically his own money. Wouldn't call him rich by no means but certainly not hurting. 

Anyway, he's looking for a nice quiet place to retire in Thailand. He doesn't drive and doesn't ride a bike or motorcycle. He walks. No cane, no walker, no wheelchair. He doesn't like big cities and traffic but doesn't want to be out in the sticks too far to get something to eat.

He loves ships, fresh air and seeing the water. He was up in CM at a retirement village/hospice (of sorts) called Suansawan resort or Care resort. He liked it just fine but the bad air drove him out. Now he's in a condo call New World Condo 2 by a place called White Rocks or White Stones close-ish to Rayong.

Ideally would be someplace north of Phuket on the Andaman sea that was a cross between where he was and where he is but with cleaner water. He's alone and doesn't speak Thai. His current lease expires the end of April.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Prechuap Kirikhan is nice but not much for housing or condos (unless it's changed since I lived there in 2004) and the water is/was a LOT cleaner than Hua Hin. Cha-am was a dump last time I was there around 2006 but again, maybe it has changed as well. I also lived in Hua Hin on soi 82 when it was a vacant lot behind my townhouse and Baan Kai before that so I know it's changed because my friend lives there off soi 108 (I think).

Dad was in the oil industry up in Alaska and over in the ME as far back as the 60s so he likes the big ships from then I suppose. I love the ocean and ships from many yrs in the navy so I guess it runs in the family.

That is why I was thinking along the Andaman sea instead of the bay of Thailand.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Dad was in the oil industry up in Alaska and over in the ME as far back as the 60s so he likes the big ships from then I suppose.

I gather from this he wants to sit "on the porch" and watch ships? Am I right?

PKK is ok but he might die of boredom

seriously town is relatively busy in high season but after songkran to november its dead

Many nationalities here, biggest by far is i suppose german  then UK there's a few American i think (well i know of two)

Plenty of restaurants a few bars/ beer shops hospital is, well a local hospital, but many clinics dentists

Housing if you want it on beach if you can find any it would be horrendously expensive to rent or buy

Out of town a bit,  houses can be rented for less than 10k a month but some form of transport IMHO is more or less a necessity 

Have a look at Sunshine International in Hua Hin.  They advertise extensively on FB - studio apartments to larger units.  Nurses, orderlies on site and meal plans available.  Rental rates seem reasonable.  The residents are mostly European if that makes a difference.

Sunplay Bangsaray (168kms from BKK past Pattaya) may be worth a look too.....  but the immediate area is less likely to be developed vs. Hua Hin.  Again no personal experience, all the best.

Both of them may have daily rates for look/see visits.

59 minutes ago, poohy said:

PKK is ok but he might die of boredom

seriously town is relatively busy in high season but after songkran to november its dead

Many nationalities here, biggest by far is i suppose german  then UK there's a few American i think (well i know of two)

Plenty of restaurants a few bars/ beer shops hospital is, well a local hospital, but many clinics dentists

Housing if you want it on beach if you can find any it would be horrendously expensive to rent or buy

Out of town a bit,  houses can be rented for less than 10k a month but some form of transport IMHO is more or less a necessity 

What about air quality in December-January? Is it much better than Hua Hin?

Pak Nam Pran town just south of Hua Hin is nice too, very quiet and beautiful scenery. Not sure if housing is cheap though.

I've lived in Baan Takiab area of HH, also much village-like but many new condos for reasonable price.

Jomtien part of Pattaya.  Quieter area and safe, seaview rentals available, good hospitals, including a new one coming to Jomtien, tons of restaurants, easy Immigration nearby, Grab and home delivery of groceries services, baht bus to take you in to Pattaya or other parts of Jomtien, lots of expats, and 2 airports 2 hours or less away.  If you locate near Jomtien Complex you can walk to a lot of what you need.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Sounds like he needs to look in the Cha-Am /Hua hin areas.

Will move this to that forum for local knowledge.

yes, but he doesn't get ships there, only smallish boats

if ships are important, the seabed where he stays now is better

(big navy base just east of Patts) commercial harbour close to Patts

Samuth Songkram and Samuth Sakhon are both packed with fishing vessels, some relatively large

North of Pucket, Andaman - You have Ranong, nice place -laid back- lots and lots of fishing vessels.

Rains a lot though, the rainy season is lengthy and very very wet.

All the rain they don't get in Hua Hin falls down in Ranong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

He could move up the road to Ban Chang or as a post said Bang Saray or Jomtian

Possiblity, but Jomtien is packed with Russians and terrible traffic!

Ban Chang is dead in the week and very much packed with Thais on a weekend!

On 2/14/2020 at 6:30 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Prachuap Khiri Khan is a nice place, not too big, with a good beach (Ao Manao) and Hua Hin 75 clicks north if he feels the need to interact more with people speaking the same language. Plenty of fresh air and water to look at, a nice peaceful place with a great coastline.

There are a few farang friendly bars and restaurants in town, and a great market on the seafront on a weekend.

Not sure of housing opportunities though, maybe others can comment.

Yes, its a nice place, but no beach at all, unless as stated you go the the Ao Manao military base in a taxi etc, (too far to walk for an 80+ year old!) housing could also as said be an issue, and only very few farang bars, ie 4 or 5!

Edited by Pdavies99

34 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Relatively quiet"? Bang Saray  equals quiet. 

Everything is relative. 

Bang Saray has enough for me.......... and it fits the OP’s request for  “Nice quiet place to retire”.

Edited by Jip99

On 2/15/2020 at 3:47 PM, ChipButty said:

Thailand doesn't make the top 10

The World's Cheapest, Safest Retirement Countries 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/retirement/042116/worlds-cheapest-safest-retirement-countries.asp

Australia is No 2 on that "cheapest" retirement country list!?

Thailand is full of retired Australians who cannot afford to live there (Australia).

As such that "Top 10" is complete and utter nonsense.

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 5:46 PM, NCC1701A said:

and they have internet ordering and delivery.

Grab food and Panda food delivery.

Regarding Grab.... I downloaded the Grab app, chose the English language option, yet ALL menus are still displayed in Thai. OP's father doesn't speak Thai.

Edited by Nemises

On 2/15/2020 at 4:20 PM, Pdavies99 said:

Yes, its a nice place, but no beach at all, unless as stated you go the the Ao Manao military base in a taxi etc, (too far to walk for an 80+ year old!) housing could also as said be an issue, and only very few farang bars, ie 4 or 5!

I like PKK, quiet but no bars, none that I have found.

I am not a drinking man but I do enjoy the odd bottle of beer especially with a meal.

Also getting around for an elderly person would be a problem, only occasional taxi, no grab and locals use M/cycles fitted with sidecars for any distance work.

NIce town, far cheaper then Chiang Mai, I know Susuwarn resort had a friend live there for 3 years, but air pollution is killing CM, that's why I am down in PKK.

Staying in a new hotel, spotless, friendly and who will do a deal for long term stay B10,500/month paid in advance.

john

East coast like Hua Hin, PKK, Chumpon, have sandflies.

Not many mention of those <deleted>.s but if you are allergic (like many people), it mean you just DON'T GO NEAR THE BEACH... That could be a issue.

Very south is Songkhla, a medium town witch i loved for years (or was it because of a GF ? ????)

Interesting city, medium big and you have Hat Yai 30mn easy taxi if needed (shopping, hospitals etc.). Few tourist. Not much english. But interesting (local people, medium city, no tourists). Some bombing maybe around there but frankly you should fear drivers more... (Kills much more).

North of Phuket on the west coast i would try Khao Lak. Amazingly good beaches and it's like 30kms of deserted beaches. Small town but many north europeans there, so english not a total problem. Many restaurants, hotels, houses, but not bar-type, very quiet.

Ranong : heu no thanks, i have tried, not good.

I liked Chiang Mai, i like even more Chiang Rai (smaller, less traffic etc.), but the burning pollution problem is HUGE. Nice place 6 months a year, but you better be somewhere else in pollution season (january to june).

• Like 1