Choosing International School

sugarhead

I'm looking for an international school in Bangkok with a British curiculum for my 6-year old son. So far, browsed through the following websites, which seem suitable and are within our budget :

- Bromsgrove International School

- Charter International School

- Lord Shaftesbury International School

- St Andrews International School (Sathorn)

- St John's International School

Is anybody familiar with one of these schools or could anyone tell me which of these are the better ones ?

I'm looking for an international school in Bangkok with a British curiculum for my 6-year old son. So far, browsed through the following websites, which seem suitable and are within our budget :

- Bromsgrove International School

- Charter International School

- Lord Shaftesbury International School

- St Andrews International School (Sathorn)

- St John's International School

Is anybody familiar with one of these schools or could anyone tell me which of these are the better ones ?

Whereabouts are you in Bangkok?

The schools mentioned are at opposite ends and sides of Bangkok!!!!!

I guess it depends on what you are looking for?

I send my son to one called Rasami International school.

A smaller and more friendly type of school.

I did check out St Johns which has an excellent reputation, but the place is HUGE. It was offputting to say the least, I think it would be overbearing to most 5-6 yr olds

I did check out St Johns which has an excellent reputation, but the place is HUGE. It was offputting to say the least, I think it would be overbearing to most 5-6 yr olds

My son has been going to St Johns for 4 years now. The school is not huge. It is certainly not overbearing. The International School has around 350 students. My sons class size is 10 with 1 teacher and an assistant. He loves it and I too am happy with the quality of education he is receiving.

What about St Andrew's Sathorn ? My wife and I went to have a look as it is very close to our home and it looks like a nice school environment. Does anyone has children attending this school ?

Specifically no, but as I wrote recently on the Bangkok forum, my kid goes to St. Andrews Sukhumvit. The foreign owners of the two are the same, hence, the curriculum and teaching methods should be very similar, and that would be good news. We are very happy with St. Andrews Sukhumvit as are the numerous parents I have talked to. I would expect that St. Andrews Sathorn, similar to SA Sukhumvit would be very strong at the Key Stage 1 and 2 levels as the owners put a lot of emphasis in primary education.

Definitely one of the best but........far beyond our budget !

The foreign owners (British) that were affiliated with Bangkok Patana are the ones that started St. Andrews. It might be worthy to talk to one of them as to the changes they have made at St. Andrews.

Of those I have looked at Shrewsbury International on Charoenkrung and Patana on Lasalle seem to offer fantastic facilities and the school leavers results seem to validate that.Have also heard that Kesinee International is excellent but have not seen it in person.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot comment on the International schools, as my son went through the Thai private system,

but I do endorse the idea of the smaller school, particulary for primary education.

In Lek's school the head teacher knew almost all the children by name and it was

a very good atmosphere. I think there were around 500 boys and girls from kindergarten to

6th grade.

If you live in the south of bangkok then you might consider Bangkok Patana School in Soi Lasalle/Bangna . I thought the facilities were fantastic and it has a good reputation.

I could put a good word in about their security arrangements- had an interview there once and it was like passport control to get into their main office (literally- had to hand over my passport!). A friend of mine who got a job there teaching French *part-time* had to get a recent police report clearing him from his home country. They certainly do things by the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Our child is at the British School of Bangkok http://www.bsbangkok.ac/ and we are really happy with them. Its a lovely small school and a real family atmosphere. The education level is definately higher than back home and our daughter has required extra assistance to catch up. The extra help was provided in class time by the school at no extra cost to us. As a bonus their buses come a full hour later than Patana to our apartment building, so instead of waving our littlie off before 7am she doesn't go until 8.

Hi all,

I am looking for a school preferably somewhere between Siam and Chareon Nakorn (Thonburi) where the kids are taught in English.

I have seen many schools with fees in excess of THB200,000/year but I was hoping to find something in the range of about THB80,000/year. Pretty much anything over THB100,000 (when we consider the hefty registration fees) is out of our price range unfortunately :o

I'm after a school for my six-year-old son (turning 7 in October does this mean he will go into year 3 in Aug/Sept?). I also have another son who will be turning two in July, so any advice on a good quality (bi-lingual or english speaking) child-care centre (or kindergarten) with reasonable fees would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice :D

Nathan.