A Real Pizza In Bangkok...

torito

So, it looks like Bangkok Pizza is going out of business???? (http://bangkok.craigslist.org/bfs/428011431.html)

Too bad, still haven't managed to get over there as it just very inconveniently located for me. The Spicchios at Mor Chit skytrain still has the best location anywhere. I never get further east than Asoke.

Anyway, how much longer do I have to make the trek up to Emporium to try this?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it looks like Bangkok Pizza is going out of business???? (http://bangkok.craigslist.org/bfs/428011431.html)

Too bad, still haven't managed to get over there as it just very inconveniently located for me. The Spicchios at Mor Chit skytrain still has the best location anywhere. I never get further east than Asoke.

Anyway, how much longer do I have to make the trek up to Emporium to try this?

gregb- they have a second branch on phetburi. their main business is delivery, i think they intend to close their eat-in places but continue as a delivery service. perhaps.

By accident I ended on a small pizza restaurant near the If it's owned by an American then i very much doubt it is a 'real' pizza. I always find it funny when Americans say that pizza is an american dish. :o

...sigh, so sad. Actually, pizza IS an American dish. If it is a round pizza, that is American. Sicilian pizza is square and uses more sauce, less cheese. American pizza uses more cheese generally. The first deep desh pizza is accredited to Uno's Pizzaeria in downton Chicago who go the idea from returning G.I.s from Sicily after WWII. If you go to the original restaraunt, their deep dishes are still square. You have New York style Pizza (opposite of the deep dish and usually rather large, very cheesy), Chicago style (deep dish, heavy on sauce and vegies), St. Louis stle (very thin, usally square). Than there is a nuevo California style that I would rather not talk about. If you want the best "pizza" in the world you go to the U.S. If you want the best Indian food in the world you go to Enlgand. If you want the best Thai food than you go that guy who cooks it over an open fire at the market....yes, pizza is an American dish...sorry, old chum.

what on earth are u babbling about...

By accident I ended on a small pizza restaurant near the If it's owned by an American then i very much doubt it is a 'real' pizza. I always find it funny when Americans say that pizza is an american dish. :o

...sigh, so sad. Actually, pizza IS an American dish. If it is a round pizza, that is American. Sicilian pizza is square and uses more sauce, less cheese. American pizza uses more cheese generally. The first deep desh pizza is accredited to Uno's Pizzaeria in downton Chicago who go the idea from returning G.I.s from Sicily after WWII. If you go to the original restaraunt, their deep dishes are still square. You have New York style Pizza (opposite of the deep dish and usually rather large, very cheesy), Chicago style (deep dish, heavy on sauce and vegies), St. Louis stle (very thin, usally square). Than there is a nuevo California style that I would rather not talk about. If you want the best "pizza" in the world you go to the U.S. If you want the best Indian food in the world you go to Enlgand. If you want the best Thai food than you go that guy who cooks it over an open fire at the market....yes, pizza is an American dish...sorry, old chum.

what on earth are u babbling about...

I'm pretty sure he doesn't know either :D

• 1 month later...

Bad news, as I believe, has lately been suggested lately re Bangkok Pizza Co.

I tried calling all their listed phone numbers today (Nov. 12) (both locations), and all had telephone company "out of service" recordings.

I didn't visit their Emporium-area location today. But having no phones is not a good sign.

Anyone go by there lately to see????

John, formerly from L.A.

I'll be around there today, but I've really never seen many customers in that location. It's probably closed. I thought their pizza was just okay anyway, and I can't eat pizza much anymore without destroying my stomach, so can't say that I will really miss them. The last two I had from Absolute bar on 7/1 were pretty good, I'd say the best I've had in Thailand so far, but I don't really go looking for pizza.

heres a tip

buy some pita bread, spoon some tomato sauce/paste/spaghetti sauce on it ...season, sprinkle some cheese, pepperoni whatever and season...stick in oven/toaster oven

it will be better than most pizza places in thailand..not all but most.

i like putting bell pepper/onions/ marinated pork on mine....the juice from the pork/pepperoni will seep down into the cheese and give it more flavor

that knorr seasoning works wonders... oven on hottest setting, prewarm it.

pita bread and pizza bread are in the same family.

try it youll like it

Clipped, i gotta meet you over a beer someday, thought i was the only one who did that!! Who gave you my recepy, hahaha?

Heres another variation for you:

Take a baguett or any "french bread" style you find. Baguettes might be the best ones in this country. Cut the top of it and "dig" out the bread inside. Keep a little the so its not only "shell". Frie some spiced up menced beef mixed with different paprikas and chillis, seasoning. Fill it in the "breadshell". Top it with sliced onion and sliced tomatoes. And of course pharmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Owen, 45 minuites.

With these two recepies (yours and mine) and a box of beer, the party just cant go wrong! :o

Am i going off topic? Sorry, got inspired to share some real food experiense in this thread. Now, feel free to turn back the discussion to pizza hut.

Limoncello is still the one and only Pizzeria to go.

If you're nice they serve you a free limoncello at the end.

Excellent pizzas - and they don't really like to deliver. As their pizza doesn't taste that magic anymore, or so they say.

Sukhumvit Soi 11.

they discouraged delivery after they opened pizzanotti

Bella Napoli, Sukhumvit 31 :o

they also do the BEST pasta.

any suggestions for places (non-hotel) that do good risotto?

So far I haven't found any Italian restaurant in Bangkok worth recommending. All on Langsuan have been terrible or close to it. I had high expectations of Giusto but was really let down.

So for the best pizza I've had in Bangkok has been at Scoozi (various branches).

After having tried a few Italian restaurants throughout Bangkok, I keep going back to "La Villa" at Thonglor, sub-soi 9. So far, it's the only authentic Italian restaurant and the risotto is just like it should be, still a bit "al dente".

The pizza is OK, but I would not go to La Villa just for a pizza; I bought his dough and make my own pizza. Like that I can control the amount of cheese. (I love loads of cheese :D and some drops of hot chillie oil).

I even considered building my own pizza oven, but the price is just crazy. (between THB 150'000 and 350'000)

Limencello is really an Italian restaurnt which offers Italian style pizza, which is typically ordered as a course (salad, pizza, pasta, meat). It is an exellent restaurant.

Basilico has great Italian style pizza.

I still think Ronnie's is good but haven't ordered from them in a few months.

The best pizza I've found is from Pizza Pizza by Yanee 7th floor, Central World. They have an outlet in Pattaya as well. The owner/operator is from Naples. This place is usually packed so sometimes hard to get a table.

Sigh...i can't believe you guys, 8 pages and no one has even come close to naming the best pizza in town.

Lemoncello on Sukhumvit Soi 11 has the best pizzas, hands down, end of story.

Try the "Saporita" with mascapone and real Parma ham. Angels will weep.

Agreed, Limoncello, SUK SOI 11, turn left into the small soi past the German Brewhouse is a great Pizzeria (Menu for 2 - Share Insalata Caprese (Mozzarella Salad), then Pizza Limoncello - Ham, Rocket, Mushroom & Gorgonzola Cheese - delicious, followed by Tiramisu for dolci (dessert).

We had lunch there today.... mmmm. :o

For me, "Limoncello" and "Zanotti" are two of the great Italian places to eat in BKK and the quality of ingredients is definitely worth it. You will NEVER eat Pizza Hut after tasting these, I think it is fair to say!

Both the Limoncello pizzeria and the Zanotti restaurant, also next door, "Vino" - intimate venue with live music, winebar and cigar smokers paradise! - with Italian food - are all owned by Gianmaria Zanotti and do consistently fantastic food. If you like thin crust pizzas, you will LOVE their pizzas. Also try the baked in salt fish at Zanotti - its' not so expensive and unbelievable.

IMO, Zanotti is pricier and more formal than Limoncello - which is more of a family style pizzeria, or for going with a group, or a couple. For Zanotti & Vino, you should book especially on a Fri & Sat nites, otherwise it's difficult to get a table.

Incidentally, "Basilico" Suk Soi 33, which some posters have mentioned is owned by Sergio (the former chef at Limoncello). Sergio has also just recently opened another Italian restaurant at Thong Lor but we haven't been there yet.

IF ANYBODY out there likes Tiramisu, you MUST try it at Limoncello or Zanotti - it is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

Somebody mentioned about pizza on the 7th Floor, Food Loft at Central ChitLom, this is Gianni.

Bella Napoli is another favourite as this serves Pizza Napolitana (from Napoli - Naples), therefore the pizza base is a little thicker. Also Bella Napoli's Tiramisu is no comparison with Limoncello, so usually we go to Limoncello for Pizza & Tiramisu, and Zanotti for Italian food and Tiramisu!

I have Italian friends and these are places where we go to eat! :D

BTW, If anyone is in Pattaya, Try Enzo's Pizza at "HOPF", the German microbrewery pub on the Beach Road- GREAT THIN CRUST ITALIAN PIZZA!

There's a new pizza place on Thong Lo, between sois 7 & 9.

Called (wait for it) "New York Style Pizza". Big orange sign, you can't miss it. I was impressed.

http://www.nysp.biz/

nb. I have no interest in the company. Merely enjoyed lunch there.

A bit acedemic really, taste is subjective. As students in NY we grew up on this stuff so I have a natural bias to New York Style.

I was at the big orange place (as aboive) last Sunday, apparently just opened. Hands down the best New York style pizza I have had for a long time, brings back memories.

Edited by ProfessorNiceGuy

Called (wait for it) "New York Style Pizza". Big orange sign, you can't miss it. I was impressed.

A bit acedemic really, taste is subjective. As students in NY we grew up on this stuff so I have a natural bias to New York Style.

I was at the big orange place (as aboive) last Sunday, apparently just opened. Hands down the best New York style pizza I have had for a long time, brings back memories.

Do they sell slices?

Do they sell slices?

They do. I *think* it was 60 baht/slice, but could be wrong.

Indeed, it is 60 baht per slice, the owner is a New Yorker who has 26-27 pizza okace there, also has 4 in Shanghai and a couple more in Asia, he plans on expanding down Sukhumvit. Re; the slices: the cooked pizzas are only kept about 3 hours to ensure freshness, then they are tossed and new pizza made.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in a pizzeria called Pizza lumpini @ Lumpini ville sukhumvit 77 is one of the best home made pizza & pasta dishes in Bangkok. They have a website also complete with infos and menu. Price are very reasonable especially comparing to the quality delivered.

Edited by Buckwheat
URL and phone number removed. Please see forum rules

Agreed, Limoncello, SUK SOI 11, turn left into the small soi past the German Brewhouse is a great Pizzeria (Menu for 2 - Share Insalata Caprese (Mozzarella Salad), then Pizza Limoncello - Ham, Rocket, Mushroom & Gorgonzola Cheese - delicious, followed by Tiramisu for dolci (dessert).

Omg Andiamo, you are making me so hungry! :-)

Thanks for all the great recommendations!

I like making my own pizzas at home, although I don't have an oven here in Thailand.

If I do get an oven at some point, it would be interesting to experiment with making pizzas with local toppings, as the dough itself is easy to make, as long as you can buy flour and yeast.

Has anyone tried?

I'm thinking in particular that some of the Thai sausages might make good toppings, maybe some eggplant, some chili peppers? or some chicken marinated in sate sauce, with caramelized onions and basil?

I guess there is no real replacement for cheese. Mmmm, cheese. :o

OK - here's my two penn'orth:

Best Italian pizza to eat in restaurant - Basilico, Suk Soi 33

Best Italian pizza delivered - Pizza Mania (which I think is related to Basilico and has the same menu, Food by Phone will deliver from Basilico, but Pizza Mania is just as good and cheaper. Most of all, in over 100 orders they have never made a mistake, forgotten my order or delivered the pizzas with the topping all slid over to one side)

Best NY pizza - New York Style Pizza on Thong Lor. Disclaimer: I am English so I don't have a clue what NY pizza should be like, but this was delicious and heavy on the toppings. I'm not sure how it would stand up to being delivered, because there is so much topping. In the restaurant you can order slices of different pizzas at 60 baht each, two slices and the delicious cheese garlic bread was more than enough for me at lunch.

Best Italian Restaurant - Bacco on Suk 53 (short walk from Thong Lor BTS), owned by the same guy who owns Basilico, whoever asked about risotto should try here, it was sublime. Also, decent range of wines by the glass. For some reason, the mojitos are better in Basilico than Bacco.

I have no connection with any of these businesses, other than as a satisfied customer.

Excuse me while I go and wipe the drool off my chin...

I like making my own pizzas at home, although I don't have an oven here in Thailand.

If I do get an oven at some point, it would be interesting to experiment with making pizzas with local toppings, as the dough itself is easy to make, as long as you can buy flour and yeast.

Has anyone tried?

I'm thinking in particular that some of the Thai sausages might make good toppings, maybe some eggplant, some chili peppers? or some chicken marinated in sate sauce, with caramelized onions and basil?

I guess there is no real replacement for cheese. Mmmm, cheese. :D

I have a pizza oven. Get cheese from Macro or Foodland, make you own Italian crumbled sausage, and when you make your pizza sauce, use canned tomatoes. The fresh ones here are dodgy.

The oven I own is a nice commerical one. I can make bread, cookies, cakes, pizza, and many other things. The problem is that it is HUGE. Can cook up to 6 pizzas! But the problem with the ovens that you buy here is that they lose their capacity to get and stay hot over time..........and my it has been my experience that it is just a few months. This will lead to uneven cooking and soggy crust :o

Mmmm Pizza!

Now we are talking here.

My favorite food.

No kidding, but I have had pizza in about 45 different countries.

I eat pizza 3 times a week.

I can eat pizza on christmas eve.

In my opinion the best pizzas I have had was in Scandinavia and USA.

I can only talk about the pizzas with several toppings as do not like the Italian style one-man-pizza which is too thin and hardly any toppings on.

As for American food in general, I think the food there is great. Normally big portions and a huge variety.

Best food I had there was in San Diego.

Best Pizza in USA was in Boston.

Best pizza ever tasted was a night club in the SAS Hotel in Tromsoe, Norway.

I will definitely try the places you guys have recommended here in BKK.

Thnx a lot

Sailor

Try Sweden and you will definitely find the best pizzas around. Really there is not even any competition as far as I know. Can´t really figure why the immigrants from Turkey and so on makes so lovely pizza in sweden,

I were at Liomoncello last Saturday. I was expecting quite much after reading post here about that place. I am sad to say I have never been so disapointed in my life. First we got our food about 45 minutes apart. Second the waitress crashed a plate of sallad in my head when she was passing to serve another table. Later the guy who got his sallad found several hairs from me in it. Thrirdly, the pizzas was not that great. I think the pizzas in World trade are better, but I will give Zanotti a try.

Edited by Hawkup2000

OK - here's my two penn'orth:

Best Italian pizza delivered - Pizza Mania (which I think is related to Basilico and has the same menu, Food by Phone will deliver from Basilico, but Pizza Mania is just as good and cheaper. Most of all, in over 100 orders they have never made a mistake, forgotten my order or delivered the pizzas with the topping all slid over to one side)

Nothing special about that one. I tried "rustico" -pizza today for way overpriced 340 thb!!! Ultrafast delivery!

Just an ordinary pizza that can be beaten up with almost any pizzeria in Europe with lower prices too!

Very expensive and very-very small pizza. Not bad at all but no worth of any recommendations. You can find those pizzas about 13 in dozen, maybe not from Bangkok although :o

Waiting for more recommendations...

Here's also a picture of it:

pizzamania_bkk.jpg

Edited by huppe