Like mother like daughter: Tarot reading fraudsters hit the jackpot before arrest in 7 million baht con

webfact

Like mother like daughter: Tarot reading fraudsters hit the jackpot before arrest in 7 million baht con

7pm.jpg

Picture: INN

A mother and her daughter who opened a tarot reading shop at a market in Roi-Et in north eastern Thailand hit the jackpot when a woman who had just experienced the death of her mother dropped in to have her fortune told.

Saisamorn, 48, told "Sukjai" that things were terrible in her life and were set to get even worse.

Especially susceptible because she was grieving Sukjai asked what she had to do to assuage the bad luck.

Saisamorn said there was only one way - pay for a special ritual to be conducted. There was no need to attend in person, it was explained, just give me the money and I'll send you the pictures when it's done.

But it didn't end there.

Saisamorn kept calling saying that the bad luck was just going to go on and on unless further measures were taken. Sukjai - now suffering from depression - paid up continually.

She parted with a staggering 7,285,622 baht - all transferred to the account of Saisamorn's daughter Sukanya, 19.

Yesterday the Crime Suppression Division caught up with Saisamorn also known as "Pa Mor" at a village called Ban Manao in Suphanburi province where she and her daughter were arrested on a warrant for fraud.

She admitted taking all the victim's money and said it had all been spent on two cars, a house extension in Roi-Et and online gambling.

Both mother and daughter were taken back to the north east.

INN reported that the pair faced prosecution in Bang Plee near Bangkok for two cons they performed there. But charges were dropped after they paid back 50,000 baht and 170,000 baht to their victims.

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-24
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

But charges were dropped after they paid back 50,000 baht and 170,000 baht to their victims

Pay the money back and you dont face charges,what kind of justice

is that, at least they cannot give back the 7 million, as they seem to

have spent it, long time in jail hopefully.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

Thailand is one the country where superstition and the belief in the unnatural world  plays a big role so no surprise there, just what some of the soaps that are on every night, boggle the minds how far the can take it...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Thailand is one the country where superstition and the belief in the unnatural world  plays a big role so no surprise there, just what some of the soaps that are on every night, boggle the minds how far the can take it...

Boggles the mind?

That's very unlucky. Pay up now or have your mind boggled further.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PatOngo said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

She parted with a staggering 7,285,622 baht

Some people are just unbelievably stupid

No denying that.

When you read stories like this, it's no wonder there's the amount of cheating going on, with the large numbers of hard-of-learning volunteers so readily available.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Thailand is one the country where superstition and the belief in the unnatural world  plays a big role so no surprise there,

The one country? I put Thailand somewhere in the middle of some of the countries I have visited and witnessed superstition in society.

There are countries where people dig up their dead ancestors and dance with them for good fortune. Countries where the fear of voodoo is so strong that some people fall into a trance like state if when they find out someone has cast a spell on them.

I've witnessed men shagging the ground en-mass to appease the gods so they get a good crop the next season.

Thailand is fairly mainstream in the scheme of things.

Should have called it "making merit" and then would have been okay.

I recall one afternoon catching old dharma channel & woman asked about her sister who'd died and how things are going.

Monk told her sis was in realm of hungry ghosts, but since woman donated money to their temple, she was now in celestial realm, with appropriate cartoons of the two states. That section had English subtitles, btw

My GF also visits sometimes a lady in our village that has such a business. The lady also does hand-reading and stuff. First few times my GF wanted me to visit her as well. And this lady had to do some expensive ritual at the miniature temple in front of our house for good luck. I believe my GF paid maybe 10.000 Baht or something like that.

It's hard to tell Thai people it's all nonsense and <deleted>. Al least I can send her this story in LINE, perhaps it'll open her eyes.

P.S.: The lady also promised us one time that if we'd buy a lottery ticket on a certain day, we'd get very lucky. But I was surprised my GF didn't buy a ticket in the end, perhaps she doesn't 100% believe in this stuff, but doesn't want proof or something?