Thai is the best nationality there is!" Former American pays through the nose to renounce US citizenship

webfact

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Paying 90/190,000 baht for PR or 5,000 for citizenship, I chose the latter. It's a no brainer. 

I'd hate to be old, worrying about rentry permits and having to report to the police station, etc.

You respect and are fond of Thais, but don't want to be one - something doesn't add up here. 

The readings you don't want to be a Thai are the same readings many don't want to be a Yank. Sorry if Yank offends some but I'm not calling those from the US, American and don't know what else to call them.

Taking your points in turn

1.I've already paid for PR so it's a sunk cost.

2.There's no significant inconvenience dropping into the police station once every five years (it took me only ten minutes last time round). As to the reentry permit, I don't suppose it will be relevant when I'm a real oldster : I won't be going anywhere so it won't apply.It's not a hassle now to be honest.

3.I knew most people wouldn't understand my point about a Thai passport.I can see that you certainly don't - "something doesn't add up here". I knew also that some genius - not you - would pipe up on the lines of "why don't you feel the same about a UK passport?"

However a few who really understand Thailand will certainly grasp my concerns even if they don 't agree with them .Incidentally, I don't have the slightest criticism of those who take a different view.There are some foreigners, including a few friends of mine, for whom Thai nationality was a must in terms of their personal and business lives.I dare say that if those personal considerations applied to me I would put my negative views on one side.But they don't so I won't.

On 2/28/2020 at 3:20 PM, zydeco said:

This doesn't let him off the hook with the IRS.

Indeed. When you renounce citizenship the IRS taxes all your USA assets such as real estate as if you had actually sold them. You may continue to own them but if you sell them at a profit later they will be taxed again. 

The USA does like to lose their cash cows (sheep). Likewise, if he made any income on Thailand over $100,000 he would owe taxes on it in America. 

As another reply said, he didn't have to renounce at all, but he probably sees no advantage to keeping his citizenship though his children may have found it useful in the future. 

Good luck to him. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ravip said:

Because I did not need it for any significant practical reason and more importantly I have major problems in identifying in such an inextricable way with the bankrupt and negative values of the Thai state and the tiny minority that control it.I would be ashamed to hold a Thai passport in current circumstances

But, you still prefer to live in TH than your home country?

Good. Thats the best policy! Best of both worlds... need I continue?

At this stage of my life it's not much of a choice for me now given family commitments.In any case I love living in Thailand.I just don't want to be a Thai.

24 minutes ago, ravip said:

Because I did not need it for any significant practical reason and more importantly I have major problems in identifying in such an inextricable way with the bankrupt and negative values of the Thai state and the tiny minority that control it.I would be ashamed to hold a Thai passport in current circumstances

But, you still prefer to live in TH than your home country?

Good. Thats the best policy! Best of both worlds... need I continue?

No need, you've said it all.

1 hour ago, lust said:

Bet he still has to pay foreigner prices.

I was thinking the same thing. This guy is deluded. He's not a Thai and never will be. Thais look at him and see a foreigner, so they'll keep trying to milk him for a bit more. The kids will still call out "Hey you, farang". If he gets into any disagreements with Thais they'll pull the race card on him. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I think that Udom should be congratulated, not because he has chosen the Thai citizenship. That is his decision and if he feels his loyalty lies with Thailand, I think he is absolutely right in becoming a Thai and renouncing his US citizenship. I think he should be congratulated for drawing the attention to a phenomenon which has become most popular recently and that is carrying two or more passports of different countries. It seems to me that most people nowadays consider passports as a document that makes one's life easier travelling. The fact is, or should be that this is a tag of one's national identity and loyalty. This is the reason why I am against dual nationality. One reads nowadays of people buying a second or third nationality (passports), of people in the UK, who for many years, justifiably or not, decried the new democratic Germany now applying for German nationality in addition to the British one that they hold. There are other examples. I sincerely believe that national loyalty is not something that can or should be divided. If a person lives in a country other than his/her native one and feels that he/she belongs there, he/she should try to demonstrate his loyalty for his adopted national home by trying to get naturalized and at the same time demonstrate his loyalty to his new home by renouncing the loyalty to his old one, by renouncing its citizenship. There are, of course exception, such as a child of a mixed marriage. Even in such cases, I believe that at reaching legal maturity (18or21 years of age) they should make a choice.

Thank you for your kind words!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

Its true, I really do!

I hope that you dont take offence at some of the posts , some on here like to criticise ,moan and complain about any and everything .

Some Americans cannot understand why you gave up your USA citizenship , "because America is the best Country in the World".............they posted from their new home in Thailand and trying to find ways to stay here with the visa restrictions ????

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, VillageIdiot said:

A true Thai trait indeed.

But a true American trait as well.

The quality is personified in their (our) president.

The difference being the fact that when the Yankees showboat, the world feels it.

Please stop comparing a backward inconsequential country with a historical global power.

It's sickening to even mention Thailand and America in the same sentence.

On 2/28/2020 at 8:25 AM, rabas said:

Shows he's paid his US taxes. All Americans have the right to renounce citizenship, except if they owe taxes.

I always find it funny how US citizens have to keep paying taxes even if they relocate abroad for many years at a time. I have a female friend who is from Asia, but has been living in the US for the best part of a decade. She works in home security, but if she leaves her job and moves away, she still needs to pay taxes for 5 years I think! Back to a country she is not even native in. And yet the US still doesn't offer free medical care as an option to it's citizens. A lot of that tax money goes to buying shiny new tanks, submarines, missiles and everything else in between 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

It wasn't that long ago that I was an American that spoke incredibly good Thai.  But now I am very proud to be a Thai that speaks incredibly good English.  Thank you everyone for taking the time to coment, I thoughly enjoy reading them....well, most of them.  I'm posting a picture of the last meal I had as an American. Thought you might get a kick out of that.   

last americna meal.jpg

stupid.jpg

Drake-meme.jpg

2 hours ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

No offence at all, I find it very educational to see how other people think, actually.  I didn't renounce my American Citizenship to get anyone's aproval anyway.  I did it first and foremost because I refuse to share my loyalty with any another nation other than Thailand.  I have always said I would renounce my American Citizenship once I got my Thai citizenship, I kept my word.  I'm very proud of what I did and I am extremely proud to be Thai.    

You are NOT Thai.

Do you understand that?

• Like 2