Compulsory Insurance

Thought had requirement for compulsory insurance sorted.

A friend sent copy of Thai Immi changes to Retirement Visa requirements, that  include requirement for compulsory health insurance thru the online policy of Thai Immigration.

The confusing clause 6 of the changes states

"...( 6) Only for an alien, who has been granted Non-Immigrant

Visa Class 0-A, must buy a Thai health insurance online,

which covers the length of stay·- in the Kingdom with

no less than 40,000 baht coverage for outpatient treatment

and no less than 400,000 baht for inpatient, via the website

longstay.tgia.org."

I thought the compulsory insurance is to only apply to new Retirement Visa applicants, not those seeking Extensions? Is my assumption correct? 

30 minutes ago, eggers said:

I thought the compulsory insurance is to only apply to new Retirement Visa applicants, not those seeking Extensions? Is my assumption correct? 

It applies to those seeking an O-A Visa in their home countries.

The section you quote states it also applies to those seeking a retirement extension of an original O-A Visa stamp / Permit to Stay.

• Like 1

When applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on your original OA Visa for reason of RETIREMENT, it is since 31 Oct last year, mandatory to provide evidence of thai IO-approved health-insurance.

Researching the topic will show you very quickly that it might not be a good idea to succumb to that @#$%^ thai IO-approved health-insurance scam.

See link > https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1147769-think-twice-before-subscribing-to-thai-io-approved-health-insurance/?do=findComment&comment=15049237 

Luckily, it is surprisingly simple to switch to another extension-type (e.g. marriage) or convert to a Non Imm O – retirement Visa which when extended has the exact same requirements and conditions as an OA Visa extension.  And in both cases, there is NO requirement for health-insurance…

• Like 2