Sangsom pricing?

Lacessit

39 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

It does indeed seem to be the Thai way.

We buy the smaller bottle for the bar. A 700 bottle gives 14 shots which equates to 20.4 Baht per shot. A 1 litre bottle gives 20 shots which equals 21.5 Baht. 

Ok 1 Baht per shot is not going to make a million, and I am sure someone will be along in a minute with a derogatory quip but I do it to try to teach the wife a kind of business sense............definitely a work in progress, but getting there.

liking the stats

i almost wish i could fall off the wagon now !

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You have a nerve, calling me Cheap Charlie when with your dosh you can afford Laphroiag.

Laphroaig? Swill. 18 year old McCallen is where its at. Quit being a Philistine.

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The 700ml bottles are often better value than the 1l bottles for all Thai drinks.

Strange but true.

My advice,

Switch to Hong Thong, same taste but 250bht for 700ml.

Lao Khao cheaper

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What's the logic here? The glass of the bigger bottle cost that much more?

Does the 1 liter bottle come in a nice expensive "make face" carton?

–Unfortunately I drink too little alcohol, so I only buy half bottles of Thai booze, but I've seen some fancy cartons for bigger bottles...????

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Hong Thong is whisky, SangSom is rum. Laphroiag is swill, apparently.

A Scottish millionaire ( golfing acquaintance ) once set me up with half a dozen of the finest malts in Scotland. Damned if I could taste any difference. He narrowly avoided apoplexy when I mentioned I usually drank whisky with Diet Coke. Guess I am a Philistine.

Pretty sure Hong Thong is blended rum as I don't like whiskey.

"Hong Thong. Smooth and easy drinking, Hong Thong is a golden spirit made from molasses at the renowned Bangyikhan Distillery near Bangkok. The name 'Hong Thong' translates into 'Golden Phoenix'."

Made from molasses = rum as far as I'm concerned.

(Although I've found another place that says it's made from Molasses and grain, which would be in the middle)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

According to the ThaiBev website, Saeng Som comes in two sizes, 300 ml and 700 ml, not 700 ml and 1 liter.  So maybe your price per ml calculations are incorrect if you are using incorrect volumes.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, madmen said:

Why do people assume having a drink = destroyed liver? Reformed alcoholics are the worst, just because they couldn't have a whisky without draining the whole bottle lol. 

I have never been a drinker! :wink:

On 2/29/2020 at 3:35 PM, Lacessit said:

I'm trying to understand the logic, because usually the more one buys of any product, the cheaper it should be. Bulk buying is the zenith of that business practice.

The diet Coke is just incidental. I don't like the regular stuff, too sugary and sweet.

Wow buying a 1ltr bottle instead of a 700ml bottle is really buying in bulk 555555 , and asking someone if they pay full retail when buying a car 55555 do you pay 1.199.999 when it's 1.200.000. good for you .

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Hong Thong is whisky, SangSom is rum. Laphroiag is swill, apparently.

A Scottish millionaire ( golfing acquaintance ) once set me up with half a dozen of the finest malts in Scotland. Damned if I could taste any difference. He narrowly avoided apoplexy when I mentioned I usually drank whisky with Diet Coke. Guess I am a Philistine.

It certainly tastes like whisky to me and nothing like Sangsom which says Rum on the label, Hong Thong label doesn't mention Rum or whisky

Edited by scubascuba3

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It certainly tastes like whisky to me and nothing like Sangsom which says Rum on the label, Hong Thong label doesn't mention Rum or whisky

"Hong Thong. Smooth and easy drinking, Hong Thong is a golden spirit made from molasses at the renowned Bangyikhan Distillery near Bangkok. The name 'Hong Thong' translates into 'Golden Phoenix'."

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

it has a part whisky flavour, i guess easy for them to add flavouring if they wanted to

2 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Not just alcohol. Buy a twin pack of many things, it's more expensive per unit rather than cheaper. I've never worked out why. 

You like girl sandwiches?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Comments have gone a long way from Sangsom prices before my comment. 

I probably have a reputation with the mods for going off topic, take that any way you want.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Whisky is made from various grains, such as barley, wheat, corn and rye. Rum is made from molasses, so the Thais have succeeded in confusing everyone yet again.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Wow buying a 1ltr bottle instead of a 700ml bottle is really buying in bulk 555555 , and asking someone if they pay full retail when buying a car 55555 do you pay 1.199.999 when it's 1.200.000. good for you .

When I find a point to your 5555 post, I may curl up in a fetal ball. Or maybe not.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Good subject . Whisky shop ( Australian )   Off licence ( GB ).  Up here there are 3 different shades of Sangsom , one I can't remember but comes in a blue box , Supreme I think it is.  Another is Sangsom Similan , then there is the regular . All 18 years old , the regular is 140 B , the Supreme is 160 and the Similan 180.  

IMGP1107 (4).JPG

Please look at your photo where it says SUPERIOR, 5 YEARS OLD. Where does your SUPREME and 18 years come in, please?