Thailand’s coronavirus screening “robust” and effective: WHO

rooster59

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

This is good news for some of us who have to travel overseas in the near term.  It just means that countries like the US will not place unnecessary restrictions on those of us who live in or have visited Thailand.  The problem will be these other countries we have to transit.

That's exactly what Im hoping for. I and my Fam are set to travel back to Canada at the end of April via Taiwan. I was concerned with Thailand's seemingly defiant way of initially handling the situation. I still have very little confidence in their process but as long as it resonates a positive(no pun intended) with the bureaucracies of the world.

However, its yet to be seen if the Corona virus turns out to be a genuine pandemic with legs, not some punk-ass, flash-in-the-pan bug like SARS… and infects hundreds of millions around the world…the skies may suddenly be closed to non-essential air travel.

7 hours ago, christophe75 said:

The spinelessness of the WHO is pathetic.

[...]

A gang of inane bureaucrats working for... themselves.

Nothing personal, but you sound like a total wacko. ????

Teh internets are full of ramblings like this these days. Panic causes some very strange individuals to crawl out of the woodwork.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

1145867630_2020-02-2711_35_21.jpg.da54a33dbfd752b652015878afd085ea.jpg

You may be able to do better than Samitivej's price on the testing. You might also check with Samitivej Srinakarin, as they seem to often have better prices than their main BKK branch.

Thank you

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Let the blame game begin..............................

just in on foreign media., The Guardian

Coronavirus latest updates: US, Australia and Thailand record first deaths

And what about the 20something who died in Italy?

The nos. there go up daily.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I would hardly call it robust testing.

That's what the WHO are calling Thailand's temperature checks "robust screening"!I can confirm that Makro in Yasothon were also "robustly screening" as well but I managed to unintentionally just walk past without being noticed.

• Like 1

Wow, i must of misunderstood my friend who just last week returned from his offshore work of the China coast and returned via HK with White suits to greet him every where and i was sure he said at Swampy absolutely nothing, i must be going senile !!  

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That's what the WHO are calling Thailand's temperature checks "robust screening"!I can confirm that Makro in Yasothon were also "robustly screening" as well but I managed to unintentionally just walk past without being noticed.

Fair enough. Tomorrow I fly Udon to DMK.

Meeting partner at fortune town. She is doing bit of shopping Plaza. Night time to night Train market. Will give full report tomorrow. My guess sweet fa.

Well, now we know why all of a sudden Thailand stopped getting new cases of Covid19. It is because they stopped counting it about the middle of Feb (Which is when the viral pneumonia cases in hospitals in Thailand skyrocketed.) So these Pneumonia cases are most likely from Covid19.

1343695384_Screenshot_2020-03-01COVID19UpdateWithPaulCottrell.png.4d9f3531787f5dac57b1c2918c31f8a8.png

And no cases in india and only 3 in all of africa!   What are the odds?

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, sead said:

I'm happy to hear that Thai government succeds when all developed countries acknowledge theres actually no point in screening since it only shows on people affected. Not on people caring it the 2-14days before incubation time, at the same time it spreads before incubation period. So yeah we are <deleted> 

.....I just entered from Laos, and after the brief screening for a high temperature, everyone, one after another must touch the finger screener, custom made for cross-infection, which no-one bothers to disinfect in between unless you ask, and then u must do it yourself. And after I cleaned it, the IO took away the liquid and cloth before the person behind me could clean it after me. Big Joke was right! When it comes to spreading disease, these machines are a big joke!

i know from serval Staff members at the airport and seen it myself that this "screening" is only deployed when News camera's looking at them, or a flight directly from Wuhan arrives. 

pretty much pointless.

Edited by nullx8

2 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

Nothing personal, but you sound like a total wacko. ????

Teh internets are full of ramblings like this these days. Panic causes some very strange individuals to crawl out of the woodwork.

If you're not able to see the Reality, and not a "phantasmagoric" version of it... well it's impossible to help you.

Your reaction is the perfect symbol of "normalcy bias".

It feels good ? It helps you ? Fair enough.

Good for you. I'm happy for you.

But please, leave grown ups talking about serious matters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samuttodd said:

Well, now we know why all of a sudden Thailand stopped getting new cases of Covid19. It is because they stopped counting it about the middle of Feb (Which is when the viral pneumonia cases in hospitals in Thailand skyrocketed.) So these Pneumonia cases are most likely from Covid19.

1343695384_Screenshot_2020-03-01COVID19UpdateWithPaulCottrell.png.4d9f3531787f5dac57b1c2918c31f8a8.png

Both India and Africa are on the scoreboard.

1 hour ago, christophe75 said:

If you're not able to see the Reality, and not a "phantasmagoric" version of it... well it's impossible to help you.

Your reaction is the perfect symbol of "normalcy bias".

It feels good ? It helps you ? Fair enough.

Good for you. I'm happy for you.

But please, leave grown ups talking about serious matters.

Yep. Total wacko.

People who refuse to acknowledge an alternative reality are usually diagnosed as narcissistic.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

1145867630_2020-02-2711_35_21.jpg.da54a33dbfd752b652015878afd085ea.jpg

You may be able to do better than Samitivej's price on the testing. You might also check with Samitivej Srinakarin, as they seem to often have better prices than their main BKK branch.

Of those, the only place I know for a fact has their own biosafety level 2 lab with RT-PCR capabilities and necessary materials is Chula. There was a video of their lab in one thread here. If I wanted to make sure, that's where I'd head to. 

Anyway, there's no cure, so if you suspect you have been infected, self quarantine and go to hospital only when the symptoms get bad. 

3 hours ago, samuttodd said:

I was convinced - and to a large degree - still am convinced that there are hundreds, if not thousands of cases in Thailand despite the low numbers reported.

There is one thing that puzzles me, and that is why there are not more cases showing up in other countries that are reported as being people who have visited Thailand. To date I can only recall a couple that were in South Korea and Japan. If there were a lot more cases, I would have expected more reports abroad about people who had visited Thailand. 

8 hours ago, forrwhat said:

I was in Korea about 10 days ago. Now I have a cold or flu like symptoms. Cough, phlegm, and runny nose.  I want to get tested for Corona but Samitivej wants 10000thb for a test that has no treatment. No way Thai's are paying that.  Internet searching doesn't give any other testing locations.

Thai also don't pay for mouthmasks, i just came from a huge market and almost nobody wears one....and they don't cover the food, it's all business as usual.

5 hours ago, Letseng said:

And what about the 20something who died in Italy?

The nos. there go up daily.

There was a doctor from Italy on tv who said that those victims had cancer already or other diseases and were very weak..she also urged to not panic. But it's going crazy now in Europe, it's total panic all over the continent right now.

I read somewhere that 500,000 are infected in China.  It's probably 10 million infected, because I can't be bothered with some "small" pandemic.  

OR.... OR.... this is really nothing, the stock markets will CRASH...and the rich will BUY BUY BUY.....  and then tell everyone, "oh, we have a cure, and also just eat an apple."

OR... some alien is playing real life Plague game on us...  lol

15 minutes ago, Thian said:

There was a doctor from Italy on tv who said that those victims had cancer already or other diseases and were very weak..she also urged to not panic. But it's going crazy now in Europe, it's total panic all over the continent right now.

There was a front line doctor from Wuhan on the BBC who was caring for nCoV2019 patients saying it's the worst thing he's ever seen. He said in his opinion it may be worse than SARS. Watch.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-china-51660852/coronavirus-on-the-front-line-in-wuhan

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sunderland said:

There is one thing that puzzles me, and that is why there are not more cases showing up in other countries that are reported as being people who have visited Thailand. To date I can only recall a couple that were in South Korea and Japan. If there were a lot more cases, I would have expected more reports abroad about people who had visited Thailand. 

There's a delay of 3-4 weeks for transmission and outbreak. Give it another 2-3 weeks and it'll hit the news.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rabas said:

There was a front line doctor from Wuhan on the BBC who was caring for nCoV2019 patients saying it's the worst thing he's ever seen. He said in his opinion it may be worse than SARS. Watch.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-china-51660852/coronavirus-on-the-front-line-in-wuhan

Really heroic and herculean efforts by that doctor and their medical staff. I'm afraid that here in the states we aren't listening to his warning and advice.

15 hours ago, sead said:

I'm happy to hear that Thai government succeds when all developed countries acknowledge theres actually no point in screening since it only shows on people affected. Not on people caring it the 2-14days before incubation time, at the same time it spreads before incubation period. So yeah we are <deleted> 

They didn’t succeed. Hardly anyone is.

Those who didn’t act fast enough are going to pay the price. People are self medicating in Thailand. Ask your local pharmacy how busy they’ve been. 

3 hours ago, Sunderland said:

I was convinced - and to a large degree - still am convinced that there are hundreds, if not thousands of cases in Thailand despite the low numbers reported.

Lack of testing. The tests most everyone have been using are highly faulty. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50%+ incorrect.

Mild symptoms are also being overlooked as the flu and many hospitals Won’t test for corona unless you have direct exposure or returned from parts of China.

3 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I read somewhere that 500,000 are infected in China.  It's probably 10 million infected, because I can't be bothered with some "small" pandemic.  

OR.... OR.... this is really nothing, the stock markets will CRASH...and the rich will BUY BUY BUY.....  and then tell everyone, "oh, we have a cure, and also just eat an apple."

OR... some alien is playing real life Plague game on us...  lol

Dont talk paranoid rubbish. China has been locked down for weeks and is now open again apart from Hubei.

Word is on TV is that its all about money. Well whats all the talk about stock markets?

Only China and Thailand have kept a cool head right through this.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, rabas said:

Still going at it after 5 weeks eh? Havent you got a hobby?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1