Thailand’s coronavirus screening “robust” and effective: WHO

rooster59

18 hours ago, forrwhat said:

Thank you

In regards to Thai people not being able to afford the test, if Thai's are suspected of having the virus the test if free. I guess a big part of why the cost is so high is with how much everyone is freaking out right now people will be rushing to hospitals as soon as they get the slightest sniffle or sore throat demanding to get a corona test done. With limited testing capacity they are most likely trying to make sure that the people who are the most at risk and presenting with more classic corona symptoms are being tested. 

On 3/1/2020 at 9:46 AM, justin case said:

and still thousands of chinese fly in EVERY single day...

imagine:  you are forced to fly to keep your multi non-o active, come back and get singled out thinking you have corona ...

who pay the bill ?

Still thousands of American and Europeans fly in every single day knowing that Thailand is a neighbour of China.

If you really want to feel safe, why not stay at home in America or Europe?

"robust"? I arrived at Suvarnabhumi at 9.30pm last night, on a plane from Kenya, with 3 Chinese nationals as i glimpsed their passport whilst standing in the "Health Check" queue that was staffed by 1 lady, and all they seemed to be checking for was Yellow Fever, which if you didn't have the Yellow Vaccine book, you were told to wait for the 1 doctor that was working at the time. No thermometer gun in the ear to check core temperature, no vital signs check, nothing. Queue up, Stamped and approved, welcome to Thailand...

2 hours ago, JaiDeeMakh said:

"robust"? I arrived at Suvarnabhumi at 9.30pm last night, on a plane from Kenya, with 3 Chinese nationals as i glimpsed their passport whilst standing in the "Health Check" queue that was staffed by 1 lady, and all they seemed to be checking for was Yellow Fever, which if you didn't have the Yellow Vaccine book, you were told to wait for the 1 doctor that was working at the time. No thermometer gun in the ear to check core temperature, no vital signs check, nothing. Queue up, Stamped and approved, welcome to Thailand...

I don't think they're supposed to be checking based solely on a traveler's nationality. They're supposed to be checking based on whether any person has been in/visited one of the designated CV areas anytime in the prior two weeks.

If your Chinese travelers had only been in Kenya for the prior two weeks, then there's no reason they should have been treated any differently than you.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:09 PM, HaleySabai said:

That's exactly what Im hoping for. I and my Fam are set to travel back to Canada at the end of April via Taiwan. I was concerned with Thailand's seemingly defiant way of initially handling the situation. I

This is my concern too, I need to go back o the US in July. Normally would start booking tickets etc this month but I don't dare for fear I'd buy a route that might be shut when the time comes. Or worse yet that flights from Thailand might be disallowed, if not by the US (no direct flights anyhow) then by the transit points.

Here's the U.S. CDC site regarding foreign travel restrictions. Right now, there's only the current entry bans on FOREIGN nationals from China and Iran.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html

And the only entry restrictions for U.S. citizens/lawful residents pertain to prior 14 days travel in China, which COULD subject those individuals to some movement restrictions, depending on whether or not they've been in Hubei province, and whether they are showing any symptoms.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-china.html

The fact that the U.S. thus far has only restricted entry of foreign nationals from China and Iran, while CV cases are exploding in South Korea, Italy and elsewhere, pretty clearly shows the U.S. response is being run on politics more than on medical health issues.

How much that's going to change in the days/weeks ahead will be interesting to see, especially now that people have started dying in the U.S. from CV.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK