Migrants clash with Greek police at border after Turkey opens floodgates

webfact

1 hour ago, Saint Nick said:

I can see 5 and i was not even looking really hard!

I can see five as well, but I actually had to look really hard. I have marked them out. I might have missed a couple.

Gender statistic is available for migrants arriving by sea to the EU. For 2015 the number was 83% men. I struggle to find similar data for migrants arriving on foot. If we disregard how they arrived, the number is 63% men. 

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Asylum_statistics#Age_and_gender_of_first-time_applicants

image.png.62aa2a8efb65af943ab731fa084dde2f.png

image.png.a1ea3dd5628d8d86b2dee3ee73cbbc5b.png

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

This is how Trump would have tackled Erdogan.

"Erdy, for every refugee you let past, we will send 100 turks back."

End of story....Europe needs to grow a pair....specially Angela and Macron.

Trump’s interactions with ‘Erdy’ are off topic here, just as well because you’d not like hearing about it.

"Refugees and migrants seen heading to the borders reportedly include Syrians, Iranians, Iraqis, Pakistanis, Afghans and Moroccans."

https://news.sky.com/story/turkey-opens-its-borders-to-europe-for-refugees-as-syria-conflict-escalates-11945133

"In Istanbul, buses are even dispatched by AKP district mayors to encourage refugees to leave.
On site, they discover that their trip is even free and organized.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/28/turkish-mayor-arranges-free-bus-services-for-refugees-to-the-border-with-greece

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nemo38 said:

We have seen multiculturalism is a failure. It has made the west a more violent and divided place. 

I'd gladly pay to house these people somewhere safe in Africa where they know they are 100% going home once the crisis has passed. 

The same goes for anyone who settled in the west in the last 30 years as an asylum seeker. They and their kids must go home. We only have one home. 

a) no you wouldn't!

b) what...like in Dafour?

c) and yours happened to be in one of the richer countries, right!? How lucky you are?

Or did you -by any chance- move to Thailand?

Then please die on that hill, you just so bravely climbed and go home!

We have only one home!

• Confused 6

10 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

News coverage is a disgrace, always using some crying kid they sought out or a newly born baby for empathy value while ignoring the question why these people are where they are and what right have they to be there.

False: news media mostly show young men, and coverage of news is certainly not a disgrace.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

a) no you wouldn't!

b) what...like in Dafour?

c) and yours happened to be in one of the richer countries, right!? How lucky you are?

Or did you -by any chance- move to Thailand?

Then please die on that hill, you just so bravely climbed and go home!

We have only one home!

It is possible for the UN, or some other body, to make a safe place in Africa where people can be housed and given a bag of rice a day until the crisis passes. It will take away incentives for economic migrants.

Most people would kick in some cash to make this work, especially if problem foreign groups were repatriated out of the west as part of the package.

I didn't move to Thailand. Lovely place though. Thai people, just like people from my country, don't want to be replaced in their own country. 

9 hours ago, smedly said:

Skynews interviewed some and they were Afgan - what were they doing in Syria ?

up to no good IMO

Later I saw some Pakistanis as well, must be a war we never heard about going on!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

90% of Syria is a safe place. Their young men are needed to rebuild their country. Give each and every one of them a trowel and put them on the next bus to Damascus.

You know it makes sense.

Wouldn't work. It wouldn't be free hand outs. It would involve them doing something constructive.

A long time ago I was regularly in and out of  Damascus and it was really quite a nice place to be. Would hate to see what it looks like now.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Leaving the Eu has made zero difference to "freedom of movement" of non EU citizens.

Did I say it did?no ,trouble. Is once they access the eu there's nothing stopping the host country giving them a passport and they would have had the right to enter and reside in the uk.if you haven,t got a valid point to raise don,t bother rather than trying to put words in people's mouths and not doing a very good job of it.

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kingdong said:

Did I say it did?no ,trouble. Is once they access the eu there's nothing stopping the host country giving them a passport and they would have had the right to enter and reside in the uk.if you haven,t got a valid point to raise don,t bother rather than trying to put words in people's mouths and not doing a very good job of it.

In Germany, it would take 8 years for an asylum seeker to achieve full German citizenship and be able to move freely within the EU, by which time they and their family would have learned German, found employment, attended German schools. Why would they then want to move to the UK?