Thailand reports one new coronavirus case, total at 43 - health official

webfact

Thailand reports one new coronavirus case, total at 43 - health official

2020-03-02T044914Z_1_LYNXMPEG210F7_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-HEALTH-THAILAND.JPG

A Thai government official takes body temperature measurement of a man on a street near a shopping center in Bangkok, Thailand March 1, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand has reported one new coronavirus case, bringing the total number of such cases in the country to 43 since January, a senior health official said on Monday.

The new case is a 22-year-old Thai woman who works with another Thai patient, a Thai driver for foreign tourists, Sukhum Kanchanaphimai, the permanent secretary of the health ministry, said in a news conference.

So far 31 coronavirus patients have recovered and returned home and 11 are still being treated in hospitals.

Thailand recorded its first coronavirus fatality on Sunday.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-02

Thailand confirms 43rd case of Covid-19 infection

By The Nation

800_ece16a7f294882c.jpg?v=1583128047

A 22-year-old Thai woman became the 43rd confirmed case of Covid-19 in Thailand, Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Sukhum Karnchanapimai said on Monday (March 2). The woman was in close contact with a male driver (the 37th victim) for a Chinese tourist, who had already recovered and been discharged.

Meanwhile, another patient -- a Thai who got infected in Japan -- has recovered.

Thailand now has 43 confirmed cases -- 31 discharged, 11 under medical care, and one death.

The Ministry of Public Health will expand the criteria to cover a cluster group of patients with more than five people who return from a risk area and have cough or fever must call 1422, and a medical team will visit the patient at home.

Thailand is still in the second phase of the virus spreading or local transmission.

The ministry said that wearing a mask was crucial. For normal protection wearing a fabric mask was enough to prevent sickness.

Surgical masks are for medical staff or patients while N95 mask is perfect for confirmed cases or persons sensitive to PM2.5.

They will import more medicines to prepare for any unexpected situation as Covid-19 was a new coronary disease with small information about it. Research on the herb kariyat is expected to finish in 1-3 months while a vaccine is expected to be available within 6-12 months.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383153

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-02

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

while N95 mask is perfect for confirmed cases

The ignorance of such a statement is utterly astounding. Many N95 masks have a one-way valve on the front that allow for easier exhale, while inhibiting inhale. Such a mask defeats the entire purpose of an infected person wearing a mask which is to catch exhalation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Public Health will expand the criteria to cover a cluster group of patients with more than five people who return from a risk area and have cough or fever must call 1422, and a medical team will visit the patient at home.

and have 9000baht ready to pay for the testing

3 minutes ago, shadowofacloud said:

Considering the hordes of Chinese tourists that visited in the last few months, Bangkok should already be the second Wuhan. Somehow this is not happening. Climate is one possible factor and considering that it did not explode like crazy anywhere around SE Asia, it seems more and more convincing.

yes nothing going on in S' Korea

2 minutes ago, smedly said:
8 minutes ago, shadowofacloud said:

Climate is one possible factor and considering that it did not explode like crazy anywhere around SE Asia, it seems more and more convincing.

Since when South Korea is in South East Asia? Please, use your little brain cells from time to time. It's painless and often leads to unexpected benefits.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, christophe75 said:

Come on Reuters ! Do your freaking job !

I mean : it's a press conference (daily ?), right ? But there is no one to ask basic questions :

-dates ?

- when she felt sick ?

-how long this woman worked with the infected man (before he got into the hospital) ?

-other collegues have been quarantined ?

etc etc.

The lazyness of the young generation of "journalists" is mind boggling.

Agreed someone is hopless at giving a report, or is it planned that way?

28 minutes ago, smedly said:

South Korea is currently experiencing it's winter season and therefore it's cold (8 degrees at the moment.) It's also not Southeast Asia which you know of course. Hence the point of the post in that you were responding to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dutyfirst said:

Unless climate has an impact on transmission rates? Which would explain why it didnt explode in Singapore, Malaysia and other SE Asian countries. That or its a mass conspiracy by all members of said countries to keep it under wraps?

Was cold here i Chiang Mai in the beginning of the outbreak in China and when lots of people from Wuhan was flying in. 

Honestly I think the low numbers here can only be due to the heavy consumption of Som Tam. Or the PM simply ordering the virus to stop spreading.

Nothing else make sense.

Edited by khunpa

4 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Was cold here i Chiang Mai in the beginning of the outbreak in China and when lots of people from Wuhan was flying in. 

Honestly I think the low numbers here can only be due to the heavy consumption of Som Tam. Or the PM simply ordering the virus to stop spreading.

Nothing else make sense.

I'm not sure we can equate the "cold" weather in Chiang Mai to a South Korean winter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bkkatl said:

I'm not sure we can equate the "cold" weather in Chiang Mai to a South Korean winter. 

You can if it fits the narrative on here. It doesn't have to be true or anything like that.

• Thanks 1

Why is the Thai health ministry explicitly stating that a normal cloth face mask will stop infection? Every other health authority, including WHO, that I have read announcements from, have said masks are of minimal effectiveness and washing hands frequently is far more important. But Thailand doesn’t mention that.

smh.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Why is the Thai health ministry explicitly stating that a normal cloth face mask will stop infection? Every other health authority, including WHO, that I have read announcements from, have said masks are of minimal effectiveness and washing hands frequently is far more important. But Thailand doesn’t mention that.

smh.

True that it doesnt stop one getting infection but it does help to prevent spreading infections.  So if the majority of the population is running around with masks on and some of them happen to have contracted the virus its going lower the amount of people that get infected by that person. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great news. Thailand only ever records one new infection per day. The harsh control measures put into place that were ridiculed by international experts at the CDC and WHO appear to be working. Wearing masks for example.

Or maybe they are not being reported. Funny how they never tell you where the diseases are confirmed? Maybe this would impact tourism if they said where the infections were located.

I suppose it is all about the money, isn't it? I guess of a reporter found out that there had been a slew of coronavirus patients at a particular tourist spot he would be up an on defamation suit before you could shout 'Pneumonia".

2 hours ago, smedly said:

How does that defeat the argument that climate might play an important role? In Daegu, South Korea's COVID-19 epicenter, the temperature is currently 10 °C (50 °F).

A bit off the subject, but I keep hearing some posters, bleeting about how some Chinese are coming to Thailand. Well, China is a large country, just as Australia, America and Russia, plus even Canada is. Are the bleeters expecting the whole country to stay home when they live hundreds or 1000 kms from where the virus area exists?  If you were an American in California, and some person,  in

Florida came back from travelling and caught this virus, then you should stay home too?    Or if a Canadian in Quebec, on the East side of the country had the virus, then every western Canadian should stay home?  Try have a little common sense about the situation, okay!

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
error

I hope the cases  are really this low.

They are hiding where  the cases are, definitely fits with money for some over public health. 

How close was this persons exposure  to the sick person and the timeline would be useful.   I'm sure WHO requires all this information.   

Strong  motivation for Thailand to try to stay off the banned travel list.  I dont trust any government except Singapore and S korea seem to report every detail.