Thailand reports one new coronavirus case, total at 43 - health official

webfact

6 hours ago, Dutyfirst said:

Unless climate has an impact on transmission rates? Which would explain why it didnt explode in Singapore, Malaysia and other SE Asian countries. That or its a mass conspiracy by all members of said countries to keep it under wraps?

My bet is on the climate.

32 minutes ago, ukrules said:

My bet is on the climate.

My bet as well.

But watchout.... I see it as a "moderator".

It slows the virus... But does not cut the risk to 0.

Let's not forget :

-the hell cruise ship (more than 700 infected on 3700) : do you think it was "winter" inside ?

-the crazy "church" in South Korea... Again do you think inside they had minus 5 degres celcius when they congregate ?

-same question for the Hyatt hotel in Singapore... Snow, and frozen temperature inside ?

So my point is simple : Thailand will eat the bitter soup, despite whatever BS they can tell (now they try the "dengue fever"....).

Her turn will come too. Wuwuflu virus is mercyless. And people will die. And many will be infected.

Just at slower pace than other countries.

Edited by christophe75
  • Like 1

Perhaps last step in calculating number of cases is hitting square root key.

Perhaps all the cases are being listed as pneumonia. Been a big upsurge in those reported recently. Consider AIDS: it doesn't kill you but leaves you wide open for all sorts of other diseases to kill you off

16 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

Let's not forget :

-the hell cruise ship (more than 700 infected on 3700) : do you think it was "winter" inside ?

-the crazy "church" in South Korea... Again do you think inside they had minus 5 degres celcius when they congregate ?

It sure as shtt wasn't 30+ degrees C like it gets here every day when the AC is not on and that's inside, it's hotter outside.

Edited by ukrules

8 hours ago, nausea said:

Yeah, Italy has 1000+ and Thailand has 43. Give me a break.

The Netherlands had it's first corona victim last week and this week it's almost 20 already. I don't believe the Thai numbers either, must be a lot more by now.

But to be honest, it's not as dangerous as the media seems to paint it. Currently it seems about 2% - 3% of people die and most of these people are elderly and/or weak because of some sickness like cancer or diabetes. Not much different from seasonal flu.

From what I've read no children under 10 years old have died yet from the disease either. So I am not worried much for my daughter either.

Personally I don't worry too much. My girlfriend however is a bit scared. I'm more scared of the <deleted>ty air here in the Chiang Mai area, it's probably a lot more deadly.

31 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

The Netherlands had it's first corona victim last week and this week it's almost 20 already. I don't believe the Thai numbers either, must be a lot more by now.

But to be honest, it's not as dangerous as the media seems to paint it. Currently it seems about 2% - 3% of people die and most of these people are elderly and/or weak because of some sickness like cancer or diabetes. Not much different from seasonal flu.

So 2 % would be okay, is that it ?

But what if 1 billion of people are infected worldwide ?

Hum, that would make 20 millions deads.

Not bad.

I'm ironic of course. But i'm wondering why we are unable to just... read what happened 100 years ago... ?

A "simple flu" and not quite "spanish" killed a nice big bunch of people. More than World War 1....

14 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

So 2 % would be okay, is that it ?

But what if 1 billion of people are infected worldwide ?

Hum, that would make 20 millions deads.

Not bad.

I'm ironic of course. But i'm wondering why we are unable to just... read what happened 100 years ago... ?

A "simple flu" and not quite "spanish" killed a nice big bunch of people. More than World War 1....

Currently the 2% is based on the percentage of people that die of the total that are known 100% sure to have contracted the corona virus. But scientist suspect a lot more people might have contracted the corona virus but didn't have much problems and as such didn't seek aid. If that's true, the percentage of deaths could be quite a bit lower actually.

Early estimates of the coronavirus death rate from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak, have been around 2 percent. But a new report on 1,099 cases from many parts of China, published on Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a lower rate: 1.4 percent.

The coronavirus death rate may be even lower, if — as most experts suspect — there are many mild or symptom-free cases that have not been detected.

The true death rate could turn out to be similar to that of a severe seasonal flu, below 1 percent, according to an editorial published in the journal by Dr. Anthony S. Fauci and Dr. H. Clifford Lane, of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Dr. Robert R. Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html

1 hour ago, wolf81 said:

Currently the 2% is based on the percentage of people that die of the total that are known 100% sure to have contracted the corona virus. But scientist suspect a lot more people might have contracted the corona virus but didn't have much problems and as such didn't seek aid. If that's true, the percentage of deaths could be quite a bit lower actually.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html

Wait a minute... who can believe data coming from China ? Of course they hide the real number of cases.

As well... as the number of deads !

Ergo, the whole "feel good" calculation is going to the drain.

Look at Iran. It's a mystery.... The ratio is not the same.

4 %... (1500 cases, 66 deads)

Hum... More honest numbers ? New strain ? Who could trust the mollahs ? Perhaps they do the contrary of the Chinese : they artificially increase their numbers in order to be seen as victims (so the embargo can be lifted) ?

My point is : China, Iran.... Full stop. Impossible to trust those regimes.

In a few months, if we can have a real study in South Korea for instance, then we will know.

As for now, lets listen to the head of the WHO (presse conference today)

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, says the new coronavirus "is a unique virus with unique features".

"This virus is not influenza. We have never before seen a pathogen that can transfer between individuals [so easily]."

The same bureaucrat who is telling us since the beginning that it's okay and China is doing such a great job and that closing borders/airlines is bad, and hurt... the feelings (of China).

His tone has changed, obviously.

Edited by christophe75

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

A bit off the subject, but I keep hearing some posters, bleeting about how some Chinese are coming to Thailand. Well, China is a large country, just as Australia, America and Russia, plus even Canada is. Are the bleeters expecting the whole country to stay home when they live hundreds or 1000 kms from where the virus area exists?  If you were an American in California, and some person,  in

Florida came back from travelling and caught this virus, then you should stay home too?    Or if a Canadian in Quebec, on the East side of the country had the virus, then every western Canadian should stay home?  Try have a little common sense about the situation, okay!

Geezer

Exactly my sentiments that I have pointed out many times in this forum. Chinese is a huge country with 1.4 billion people, it's not like Singapore which is a very small country.

If the same happened to USA, they wouldn't sing the same tune. 

If the epicenter were in New York, the whole USA should be banned ? Just because Toronto is in a different country means Canada is safer than somebody in Los Angeles?

This goes to show many forummers here are actually racists.

Edited by EricTh

"Figures released by the Chinese government on Monday showed a new and optimistic trend: the total number of people to have recovered from the coronavirus exceeds the number who are currently sick.

Numbers reported by the state-controlled China Global TV Network (CGTN) put the total recoveries at 44,518 as of March 2.

The tipping point came on February 29, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. The trend has held for the two days since."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-recorded-more-fully-recovered-154145529.html

1 hour ago, christophe75 said:

Wait a minute... who can believe data coming from China ? Of course they hide the real number of cases.

As well... as the number of deads !

Ergo, the whole "feel good" calculation is going to the drain.

Look at Iran. It's a mystery.... The ratio is not the same.

4 %... (1500 cases, 66 deads)

Hum... More honest numbers ? New strain ? Who could trust the mollahs ? Perhaps they do the contrary of the Chinese : they artificially increase their numbers in order to be seen as victims (so the embargo can be lifted) ?

My point is : China, Iran.... Full stop. Impossible to trust those regimes.

In a few months, if we can have a real study in South Korea for instance, then we will know.

As for now, lets listen to the head of the WHO (presse conference today)

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, says the new coronavirus "is a unique virus with unique features".

"This virus is not influenza. We have never before seen a pathogen that can transfer between individuals [so easily]."

The same bureaucrat who is telling us since the beginning that it's okay and China is doing such a great job and that closing borders/airlines is bad, and hurt... the feelings (of China).

His tone has changed, obviously.

These numbers (live updated) are also interesting, seems most deaths (also when looking outside of China) are in the 60+ age group. Now perhaps a lot of Thai Visa visitors are in this age group, I am not sure. But I really feel if you're not part of this group, the risks of dying from the corona virus as of yet seem to be quite low.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Edited by wolf81

18 hours ago, webfact said:

So far 31 coronavirus patients have recovered and returned home and 11 are still being treated in hospitals.

Thailand has a revolving door with China and want us to believe that there are only 11 patients in hospital in the entire country....

Bullshit meter.gif