Thailand cancels Buri Ram MotoGP amid Covid-19 threat

webfact

41 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I got an SMS today that France and Germany have been added to the Thai list for high risk countries and are subject to 14 day self-quarantine. I think it's from the ministry of education since it came from my kids school. 

EDIT: it's MoPH: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

p1detail.jpg

That might cause my mate and his wife a big problem as he is due to fly in on 10th March for a month.

These events a huge money spinners, cancelled! 

In Australia Chinese students are allowed in.  Thailand, Chinese are welcome. I'm aware the Chinese are not the only ones that are potentially infectious but to allow commercial interests over public health concerns is troubling.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

That might cause my mate and his wife a big problem as he is due to fly in on 10th March for a month.

That list is just for all the schools, Thai and International schools, as my child got a similar letter from her school. For everyone else it's life as normal.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

“This decision will prove that Thailand is taking serious measures against the spread of the disease among Thais and foreigners coming to the event,” said Anutin, who is also deputy prime minister.

You don't really know what to do to become famous anymore, yesterday you said that the Moto GP is safe without any health risk, today the cancellation of the same!
Great!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tayaout said:

My guess is that too many racers canceled by themselves by fear of being stranded in Thailand or quarantined when coming back to their home country. 

My thoughts exactly. They love blaming others and most Thais are unable to accept they are wrong, my wife included.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And 3,000 plus "under investigation"   with countless others walking around with symptoms but no intention of getting tested...

tis is going to spiral very soon!

As long as hospitals want to make money by detecting the virus, they will have very few people showing up;
and therefore the virus is likely to spread everywhere in Thailand.
the government should have had the balls to force them to do these tests for free, but I think it is already too late.

It has been cancelled due to the flight quarantine part of holding it for all the teams etc from what I gather . Hence the Qatar gp is going ahead but without the moto gp race as the other two classes are already in the country from testing and the moto gp teams are not. 
They are looking to hold the Thai gp later in the year and I imagine the new Vietnamese F1 race will be cancelled also. 

My Dutch friend....

August 29, 2019: Calendar MotoGP 2020 was announced.

August 29, 2019: Trip to Thailand planned from March 17, 2020 - March 25, 2020. Airplane tickets booked and paid, hotel reservations booked and paid on August 29, 2019. 

Airfares: DUS-MUC-BKK & BKK-MUC-DUS: € 989.-

Hotel Bangkok: March 18 - 20: € 150.-

Hotel Buriram: March 20 - 23: € 780.-

Hotel Bangkok: March 23 - 25: € 225.-

Extras: MotoGP VIP Village tickets 2 days: € 1,259.-

Total: € 3,403.-

Total spend for MotoGP Thailand 2019: 5,000.-

Budget for MotoGP Thailand 2020: 5,000.- 

No refund on airfares and hotels. MotoGP VIP Village tickets remain valid for GP of Thailand 2020, no refund. Biggest winners are: Airliners as they can sell the tickets again. Hotels in Bangkok as they can rent out the rooms again and not have to serve European breakfast. Buriram Hotel, just got the money in their pockets and don't have to do $#!T

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, smedly said:

They can now ban political gatherings lol

you couldn't make this stuff up

next announcement - all political gatherings banned because of COVID 19 risk

Get your facts right smedley. No gatherings of more than one person in public (no political gatherings, no shopping at malls, no travelling on public transport, no going to bars of a night) so that the virus cannot spread. We have it 100% under control (even if the economy dies).

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Didn't he just say a week ago this would never be cancelled and the hot weather would kill it?  When will this guy be replaced?  Not soon enough you can be sure.

Please remember, this man is a civil engineer and was managing director of Sino-Thai Construction. What qualifies him as "Health Minister"?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Please remember, this man is a civil engineer and was managing director of Sino-Thai Construction. What qualifies him as "Health Minister"?

He's able to come up with a Structure

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Get your facts right smedley. No gatherings of more than one person in public (no political gatherings, no shopping at malls, no travelling on public transport, no going to bars of a night) so that the virus cannot spread. We have it 100% under control (even if the economy dies).

what ?

evidently you missed the meaning of my post entirely - no surprise really 

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

what ?

evidently you missed the meaning of my post entirely - no surprise really 

I got your meaning but it is quite clear that you missed mine - no surprise really

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I got your meaning but it is quite clear that you missed mine - no surprise really

you are correct I didn't get the point of your post along with pretty much everyone else 

expend your nasty attitude elsewhere - nobody wants or needs it here 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Where did you get that "truth" from?  As of right now there's no mention of that on it's website whereas yesterday it commented on cancelling the Qatar event due to restrictions put on incoming passengers from Italy.  If Dorna had cancelled the Thai race that would be mentioned also.

I think it’s an obvious assumption given that only a few days ago several high ranking Thai politicians said the government would go ahead and was perfectly safe. The health minister and chidchobbers amongst them. Why then would they change tack now?

answer is that they didn’t, the moto gp did it for them.

Edited by wensiensheng
Spelling
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

you are correct I didn't get the point of your post along with pretty much everyone else 

expend your nasty attitude elsewhere - nobody wants or needs it here 

Then I will try and explain it to you so that maybe you might be able to understand.

He cannot ban the political gatherings on there own, the only way that he can do it is by using the law to limit the size of groups at any one single venue and if he brings that in then that will also include shopping malls, public transport and the other things that I mentioned in my post.

It was you that has the nasty attitude with your statement "no surprise really" and like you have just said "expend your nasty attitude elsewhere - nobody wants or needs it here "

bye

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Just Weird said:

So why is it not mentioned on it's website?  They're still advertising tickets being available also.

Thai organisers take a while to catch up? News breaks fast and it takes time to update websites?

As a matter of interest, how are you explaining away Pattaya’s announcement of a “safe zone” created by spraying a bunch of poisons in a few streets? Is THAT the Thai government taking covid prevention to a new level?

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I got an SMS today that France and Germany have been added to the Thai list for high risk countries and are subject to 14 day self-quarantine. I think it's from the ministry of education since it came from my kids school. 

EDIT: it's MoPH: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

p1detail.jpg

Still no Malaysia or Vietnam on the list. They were there for a couple of days but somehow became safe again.

21 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Didn't he just say a week ago this would never be cancelled and the hot weather would kill it?  When will this guy be replaced?  Not soon enough you can be sure.

I think you will find that they did not cancel it but was the moto gp organisation that did! ????????????????????????????

• Like 1