Thai Bank Account for Minor Children to Receive SS Benefits

I am having issues getting Social Security benefits paid into a Thai bank account for my minor child. SSA's system requires that the receiving bank account name be "(my name) for (child's name)". Bangkok Bank is unable to open an account with the account name like this.

Has anyone been successful in opening an account with another Thai bank with the name configuration stipulated by SSA?

Joe, Thanks for your reply.

My child's benefits had been successfully paid to her local account via Bangkok Bank's New York branch without issue for the past couple of years. The account is in her name only with me as sole signatory.

When I switched to the new direct deposit system for my benefits I did the same for her account (yes, I know, I should have let well enough alone) in order to try to get away from having to actually visit the bank to get the funds. My benefits now get sent to my unrestricted Bangkok Bank account without issue. The problem for my daughter arises due to the fact that SSA uses Citibank in the US to make the direct deposit transfers and if Citibank's computers detect any variance between the name on the account and how SSA's instructions are worded, they will reject the transfer. Bangkok Bank is not capable of naming an account in a manner that matches SSA's payment instructions. Unfortunately the direct deposit signup form does not flag this issue and I fell into the trap which resulted in no payments going through for January and February.

I've had several phone calls with SSA Manila and Khun Supatra's team at Bangkok Bank's foreign exchange department at the Silom branch to try to sort this, so I've run this issue down from both ends quite extensively.

I've asked SSA Manila to revert back to the old ACH/IAT transfer to Bangkok Bank's branch in New York in order to see if that restores payment. In case this does not work, I would like to see if I have the option of opening an account with a local bank that can name the account in the manner that matches SSA's transfer instructions .

In addition to soliciting help, perhaps my post can be a warning to others who may be contemplating switching payment methods for their minor children.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How old is your child?

Would it possible to set up a joint account with them?

Joe, I proposed just that to both SSA Manila and Bangkok Bank. They both said that is not likely to work. Neither would speak in absolute terms, but clearly they thought it wouldn't. The name on the account needs to be "(my name) for (child's name)". The issue is Citibank's computers requiring an exact match to SSA's payee wording and joint account wording won't work. At this point I think that reverting to paying via BBL's New York branch is the most viable solution unless another Thai bank can name an account in the manner SSA requires. Apparently the ACH/IAT interface between SSA and BBL New York is more forgiving and BBL here can make it work internally. I'm crossing my fingers.

A joint account would also be in your child's name. When completing the sign up form he would be the payee on it instead of you.

You would only sign the form as the joint account holder.

I would think that would work to satisfy the requirement.

Joe,

The issue isn't with the signup form, it is with how Citibank's computers handle the transfers and how the account is titled.  BBL is not capable of titling an account in a manner compatible with Citibank's computerized matching system. SSA requires me to be the payee on behalf of my child and the title of the account needs to reflect that. BBL is not capable of doing this and Citibank's computers won't accept anything else. Literally the title of the account needs to be "Etaoin Shrdlu for Child Shrdlu" or "Etaoin Shrdlu payee for Child Shrdlu". Apparently nothing else will satisfy Citibank's computers.