Coronavirus: S.Korea gives amnesty to overstaying Thais who want to return home

webfact

Thais overstaying visa in South Korea allowed to leave before June 30

By THE NATION

800_8acc630b390543e.jpg?v=1583200307

Thais who have overstayed their visa in South Korea could report to the local immigration offices to express their willingness to leave the country by June 30, Cherdchai Atthakorn, Department of Information director-general and Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, said on Monday (March 2).

The South Korean government has announced that “those who report before the deadline will not be fined or prohibited from re-entering the country”, he said. “So far, more than 5,000 people have shown their willingness to leave the country, while 136 are from Daegu, the city with highest [Covid-19] infection rate in South Korea.”

158314789611.jpg

Cherdchai added that as of now the South Korean government had not locked down any cities, therefore Thais who wished to return home should contact the local immigration office immediately along with related documents as well as evidence of plane ticket reservation. “The processing of documents should take three to 15 days for visa overstayers,” he added.

“The South Korean government also announced that all Covid-19 infected patients will be treated at government-specified facilities with all expenses covered even if they overstayed their visa,” added Cherdchai. “No patient will be arrested or sent back to their home country against their will.”

The spokesman said when they arrive in Thailand, those who coming from South Korea will have to undergo the screening process of the Department of Disease Control, which includes a mandatory 14 days of quarantine.

For further information, contact Royal Thai Embassy in Seoul at tel: +82-106747 0095 and Facebook: Royal Thai Embassy, Seoul

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383217

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-03
  • Haha 1

I wonder how many foreigners who are on overstay in Thailand would jump at this chance to get out and go home. I often wonder how many of the overstayers that are caught found themselves in a catch 22 situation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

I wonder how many foreigners who are on overstay in Thailand would jump at this chance to get out and go home. I often wonder how many of the overstayers that are caught found themselves in a catch 22 situation. 

The Thai government should also give free medical treatment for covid-19 for overstaying foreigners in Thailand as well???? The Korean government is too kind. 

Its the same story? 5000 prostitutes returning..Covid-19: Put Thai prostitutes returning from Korea on an island in quarantine, social media goes ape as 5000 set to return

But doesn't Thai Government say there are no such thing, in the Kingdom?

4 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Its the same story? 5000 prostitutes returning..Covid-19: Put Thai prostitutes returning from Korea on an island in quarantine, social media goes ape as 5000 set to return

But doesn't Thai Government say there are no such thing, in the Kingdom?

There is no such thing as prostitution in Thailand. That is why the are all in S. Korea. But of course if they now come home, they will have to stop being prostitutes. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Thousands of Thais working illegally in farming etc, they won't be coming back until forced, pays too good

Correct. Thousands of them work on farms doing jobs that Koreans don't want to do. A bit like Cambodians and Burmese here...

Sister-in-law was a leading lawyer in a Thai company but jumped ship to work on a farm in Korea when a job was arranged by a cousin already there. Doubled her "salary" doing it.

• Like 1

I read this on another forum, 

I thought the wife was in a pretty safe place, being up in the sticks of Isaan. However, she has heard rumours of a couple returning from Korea being pretty sick and refusing to go to the hospital. That's in the market town about 20km away. Lots of villagers calling for them to go to the hospital so they'll either go or be lynched by morning. If they are infected then it won't take long before it has spread around the province...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I read this on another forum, 

I thought the wife was in a pretty safe place, being up in the sticks of Isaan. However, she has heard rumours of a couple returning from Korea being pretty sick and refusing to go to the hospital. That's in the market town about 20km away. Lots of villagers calling for them to go to the hospital so they'll either go or be lynched by morning. If they are infected then it won't take long before it has spread around the province...

My concern exactly!   My first thought was we would be insulated from the coming doom (I don't get to use that word often, so go with it) but the reality is totally opposite.  As workers get laid off with little or no money the first thing they do is get on a bus an come back to the village.  And where will the 5000 go?  Mostly to villages all over the country and how many will bring corona with them...the virus,  not the beer! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

My concern exactly!   My first thought was we would be insulated from the coming doom (I don't get to use that word often, so go with it) but the reality is totally opposite.  As workers get laid off with little or no money the first thing they do is get on a bus an come back to the village.  And where will the 5000 go?  Mostly to villages all over the country and how many will bring corona with them...the virus,  not the beer! 

It's all down to money in Thailand 

58 minutes ago, Just Curious said:

Correct. Thousands of them work on farms doing jobs that Koreans don't want to do. A bit like Cambodians and Burmese here...

Sister-in-law was a leading lawyer in a Thai company but jumped ship to work on a farm in Korea when a job was arranged by a cousin already there. Doubled her "salary" doing it.

Three of our relatives doing it, at least 40k a month 4x what they were getting in a factory in Bkk

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 10:48 AM, webfact said:

The South Korean government has announced that “those who report before the deadline will not be fined or prohibited from re-entering the country”

We know that you have been illegally working in Korea on overstay, but feel free to return on a new tourist visa once the virus situation is cleared.