Medical supply fails to meet demand as virus alertness grows

webfact

Medical supply fails to meet demand as virus alertness grows

By THE NATION

800_5f60f6f4f918b3f.jpg?v=1583227069

A pharmacist at the 'Home Ya' pharmacy in Khon Kaen province said there was a shortage in the supply of medical masks , hand gels and alcohols.

A reporter was told that many people visited the pharmacy in recent days, asking for face masks or booking new ones in advance.

“Products are in short supply as people become more alert to the risks of Covid 19 infection, ” he added

“Being a Blue Flag shop did not help” he added. “The 1,000 masks the government provided were not enough to meet customers’ demand”.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383271

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-04

Those medical masks don't strike me as being all that difficult to produce, so I can't understand why the producers world wide can't crank up the production line and churn out more.

22 minutes ago, djayz said:

so I can't understand why the producers world wide can't crank up the production line and churn out more.

Quite simply because the world producer is China; country completely disorganized for more than two months.
The few small producers that exist in other countries can never make enough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Learned for now;

I fear that unfortunately NO;
our politicians from almost every country on this earth have very short memories.

Businesses dont. If I had the money, Id open a flip flop factory in Cambodia

56 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Quite simply because the world producer is China; country completely disorganized for more than two months.
The few small producers that exist in other countries can never make enough.

I believe, I've read here that Thailand manufacturers of the regular paper drugstore masks have quite a large capacity for domestic use.... but those are either all getting used up or getting siphoned off somewhere... Hard to find anywhere, notwithstanding.

And AFAIK, Thailand has no domestic production of N95 masks.

1 hour ago, djayz said:

Those medical masks don't strike me as being all that difficult to produce, so I can't understand why the producers world wide can't crank up the production line and churn out more.

And they do no <deleted> good against the virus!     

17 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

China is indeed a house of cards that has lasted over 3,000. Longer than any other. Still convinced that the World can knock it down?

Chinese culture has lasted for 3000 years.

The Chinese nation state has ebbed and flowed.

Dont confuse the two.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

believe, I've read here that Thailand manufacturers of the regular paper drugstore masks have quite a large capacity for domestic use.... but those are either all getting used up or getting siphoned off somewhere... Hard to find anywhere,

You'll find them beside all the dicarded plastic bags and <deleted> food containers along the roads.

Happy hunting.

Edited by Vacuum
  • Haha 2

Around where I live the Chinese were buying them all and shipping them back home a couple of pharmacist that I know stopped selling them to the Chinese and keeping them for the locals, including me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AlexRich said:

To be fair to Thailand (and sometimes I am), this issue arises in every country in the world. No country has enough of anything needed to keep this virus at bay. The heads of the CDC today in the US admitted that they only have 10% of the masks needed by medical staff should COVID-19 be widespread in the US.

I do wonder whether this is the every 100 year epidemic that the scientists were anticipating? The last and worst one was in 1918-19, so this is bang on time. 

We are all living in interesting times ... stay safe TV patrons ... if you all die I won't have anyone to digitally take the <deleted> out of!!!

Apparently 1957 was the last somewhat serious one

https://www.britannica.com/event/Asian-flu-of-1957

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The lesson for the future has been learned.  Put All the Eggs in the Chinese Basket and you wont get breakfast.

China is a house of cards, now is the time for the world to knock it down.  

Good luck with that. ????????

4 hours ago, Proboscis said:

China is indeed a house of cards that has lasted over 3,000. Longer than any other. Still convinced that the World can knock it down?

3000 years old and incapable of change. After 3000 years still a land of god-emperors/chairmen and mandarins and serfs. The idea of a nation based on the principles of democratic representation is a relatively new one (no, Greek city states don't count), and new ideas require new countries, new cultures that can adapt, experiment, and change when necessary. And 3000 year old tyrannies aren't fit for any of that.

6 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Last time China had it somewhat together was 1949 before those with brains left for Taiwan and commies took over. As the result, take a look at Taiwan today.

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The lesson for the future has been learned.  Put All the Eggs in the Chinese Basket and you wont get breakfast.

China is a house of cards, now is the time for the world to knock it down.  

And then build a wall around it as far as I'm concerned.

13 hours ago, djayz said:

In Thailand they have been "Ordered" to make more. as if they wouldn't, knowing the high demand and opportunity to increase sales. the problem is getting the materials for production. but our dear leaders can only issue orders, no forethought involved whatsoever.