Beware of police checkpoints

Airalee

8 minutes ago, Airalee said:

The police, then informed me that they would be searching my car.  I said ok,

why?

that's a common tactic used by cops in the us.  they ask if they can search when they don't have authority to do so without a warrant.  if they can legally do so, they don't ask permission.

the intimidated victim agrees to the search despite having contraband in the vehicle.

what's the law in thailand, and what's the reality?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why?

that's a common tactic used by cops in the us.  they ask if they can search when they don't have authority to do so without a warrant.  if they can legally do so, they don't ask permission.

the intimidated victim agrees to the search despite having contraband in the vehicle.

what's the law in thailand, and what's the reality?

I would like to know the law regarding that too.  In the US, many years ago, I declined the one time I was asked when pulled over for speeding.  I don’t really want to “rock the boat” here...so...with nothing to hide...I said “ok”.

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i can tell you first hand I was told by a Hua Hin POS cop that they read this very forum and many Facebook pages.  

You were dead on right when you warned me yesterday.  At least I made it safely.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Airalee said:

the first question was “do you smoke cigarettes”.  

whatever you do don't have any prescription drugs without a prescription from a doctor attached to it in Hua Hin.

this includes drugs you can buy in local pharmacies. 

about where was the check point located? must have been north of town before the airport?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

whatever you do don't have any prescription drugs without a prescription from a doctor attached to it in Hua Hin.

this includes drugs you can buy in local pharmacies. 

about where was the check point located? must have been north of town before the airport?

Around Petchaburi

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Airalee said:

He was surprised that I could speak Thai. 

Was stop near Hua-Hin Monday and speaking Thai I see as a problem imho I just open window showing my Thai DL, if he don't wave me on and bubbles in Thai I speak loud and clear do you speak English officer and then get waved on. ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Was stop near Hua-Hin Monday and speaking Thai I see as a problem imho I just open window showing my Thai DL, if he don't wave me on and bubbles in Thai I speak loud and clear do you speak English officer and then get waved on. ????

day or night? where please.

Just now, NCC1701A said:

day or night? where please.

I was just wave through on this check it was this Monday gone daytime on the No.4 AH somic or other highway that by-passes Hua-Hin and Cha-am.

• Thanks 1

Got stopped in the Thai girlfriends car, I was driving, in Nakhon Sawan at night in the middle of the city. A lot of cops completely blocking the road and no way to avoid them. They looked in the glove box and waved us on. I asked her what was going on...she responded she didn’t know, maybe looking for guns or drugs. Most of the time they just look at my license.....though one time when it was martial law riding Ninja from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai they stopped me and asked if I spoke Thai, said no, and then they took a selfie with me on the bike and waved me on.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

ok that is very far north.

I drive down from Bangkok to Hua Hin on a regular basis, the check point he is talking about is there extremely often to the point you can see the barriers/flashing signs stored on the side of the road when its not in place. Its under a bridge just south of Petchaburi (KM marker 158 springs to mind??? but not 100% sure) . Always full on, across all 3 lanes. Going north across all lanes and also the frontage road. Stacks of old bill, pick up trucks being pulled over are always a favorite.

Nothing out of the ordinary to be honest, I always slow down well under the limit as sometimes they have speed guns out in advance. Just note it next time you go through and expect it each time after. If its not there then its a bonus.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 2