Beware of police checkpoints

Airalee

1 minute ago, sungod said:

I drive down from Bangkok to Hua Hin on a regular basis, the check point he is talking about is there extremely often to the point you can see the barriers/flashing signs stored on the side of the road when its not in place. Its under a bridge just south of Petchaburi (KM marker 158 springs to mind??? but not 100% sure) . Always full on, across all 3 lanes. Going north across all lanes and also the frontage road. Stacks of old bill, pick up trucks are always a favorite.

Nothing out of the ordinary to be honest, I always slow down well under the limit as sometimes they have speed guns out in advance. Just note it next time you go through and expect it each time after. If its not there then its a bonus.

thank you. i have been talking about checkpoints in Hua Hin city. the op talked to me yesterday about checkpoints in town. this one is way north. 

thank you for this information.

57 minutes ago, amykat said:

Maybe the cops just need to appear to be interviewing and searching all appropriate type vehicles, until the correct targets show up ....therefore they make stupid conversation and half assed searches in the meantime??  

You are giving them too much credit.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

. she reckons Thai police target pickups (ute in Oz) regularly but she's vague on details. opinions?

I drive all over, think that's a fair comment from experience of seeing pulled over vehicles.

26 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I seriously doubt a Thai woman would ever question the police during a stop.

And why in the world would the police ask you if you smoked?

The whole idea of a police checkpoint is financial extortion of some type?

By the way, how do you say Corona Virus in Thai?

You don’t know my GF.  She’s a spitfire...ask Nyezhov.

I have no clue why they would ask me if I smoked. Perhaps you do?   I’m even more confused that when I told them I quit two months ago for New Years (thats “Wan bpee mai” in case you’re wondering, they asked me “why quit” (“lerk tam mai”)

I suspect that extortion isn’t uncommon.  My GF has seen plenty of videos on YouTube regarding it where the Thais film the encounter and then post it.  Haven’t you noticed how Thais like to film everything and post it to social media?  That’s how she knew to say “show me your hands”.  And when the guy on my side of the car immediately backed off from opening my door...yes...I suspect I was about to be set up.

And the way to say Coronavirus in thai is “Co-ROH-nah” with a rising tone at the end. You can use the L sound or the rolling R sound for the “ROH”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Good grief it’s 2020, the term is vacuuming a plus size...

Is someone going to post in English so we can understand what you two are talking about? It was easier to understand when 10cc was around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

The whole idea of a police checkpoint is financial extortion of some type?

Always have 200 baht ready for when the policeman rests his arm on the edge of your door. Treat it as the tax you don't pay for living here.

Edited by VocalNeal

17 hours ago, Psimbo said:

At what point did they show themselves to be corrupt? How do you see extortion when you didn't pay a single satang?

Why speak to them in thai- the best thing to do is feign ignorance and say you don't understand, one normally gets waved through checkpoints immediately. Roll down the window in advance, take off the sunglasses, turn off the music and give them a smile as you show them your licence.

I have never been hassled or searched in over 15 years of driving here. Attitude counts for a lot and you project a lot of attitude in your post.

Wow, 15 years, but were you on an electric trike......?......????.................????

8 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

They tried (according to op) to plant some drugs during the 'search'.

sorry I missed that .... where is it mentioned they tried to plant drugs    ?

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Always bear in mind, these are NOT law enforcement officials. These guys are local franchisees, simply working the franchise. Resist them with all of your might. 

In the US the police are highly militarized, and shoot to kill. They do not even attempt to wound or incapacitate. The least bit of resistance from someone, provokes an extreme response. Many of the police departments in the US, are out of control. Here? The police here are very soft. I have had many interactions with them, and I would never be able to get away with treating them the way I do here, in the US. Not for a nanosecond. I tell them no here alot. I tell them I am not interested in negotiating today, and drive away. I dodge them when they try to pull me over. I treat them with utter disdain. And get away with it. I do not think a Thai could get away with any of that. They seem to have some fear of the cops. I do not have any fear of these local franchisees. Most are looking for an easy mark. When you resist, they tend to back down, as they do not want to work hard for their tips. 

Sometimes, we just have a short, friendly conversation, and that is it. Usually when they see the Thai motorcycle or car DL, and the helmet, they just wave me on. But, if caught speeding, etc, I give them a really hard time. And I would never agree to a random drug test, anywhere, anytime. Never. Nunca. Nada. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

sorry I missed that .... where is it mentioned they tried to plant drugs    ?

The police, then informed me that they would be searching my car.  I said ok, but my girlfriend, wise to their tactics, immediately said “Show me your hands”

Thank god she said that.  “show me your hands”.  I never would have thought about asking that.

The officer on the passenger side opemed his hands to show he had nothing, but the one on my side of the car immediately backed away.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

The police, then informed me that they would be searching my car.  I said ok, but my girlfriend, wise to their tactics, immediately said “Show me your hands”

Thank god she said that.  “show me your hands”.  I never would have thought about asking that.

The officer on the passenger side opemed his hands to show he had nothing, but the one on my side of the car immediately backed away.

so where does it say they tried to plant drugs .... or is he just making that bit up  ??

hmmmm ...  I thought so ..  :whistling:

I pass through this checkpoint each month on my return trips (5 years of them) from Chonburi to Trang,slow down open the window and smile...usually greeted with a salute or thank you....never any problems,yesterday on our return did notice quite a number of cars pulled over for inspection and all thai drivers.... :whistling:

p.s. you could always carry a large card with "possible Covid 19 virus on board" this may help :clap2:

Edited by petermik
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

so where does it say they tried to plant drugs .... or is he just making that bit up  ??

hmmmm ...  I thought so ..  :whistling:

not making anything up.  But their actions were rather questionable

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

day or night? where please.

they  have  a  place on  the  main  road  close to the junction where you turn down to go to the old  immigration place at the side of the Kings  palace. Seen them there at 3-4 am  i.n the morning, I  just get waved thru

Edited by Chazar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

The planting drugs part. Iam still seeing where that was posted.... Are you possibly telling porky pies ?

16 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

It still amazes me at the vitriol members seem to deem necessary with every report...

"You must have shown attitude"

"I have lived here 20 years and never experienced a police scam checkpoint" "It is your fault...police are just doing a good job" Bull-hocky!

Thai apologists!  Get their feathers ruffled everytime someone points out the disparity between the fantasy of Thailand and the reality...

Thanks for your report...police have been known to plant bogus evidence in a scam shakedown.

Lucky for you your GF spoke up!

Yeah dude you owe her big time. Have her give me a call so we can figure out how you can reward her.

This will be fun.

• Haha 1