Overstay for 28 hours. What could be the possible outcome?

Hello guys. My Thai tourist visa will expire on April 9 and my flight is on April 11, 4:00 AM. So it's 28 hours overstay. I didn't buy this ticket yet but it's 2,5 times cheaper than any other tickets that still available before April 9.

I never had overstay before and i'm wondering what could be possible outcome of 28 hours overstay? 

Should i even consider this option if i'm planning to come back to Thailand next year?

Edited by Mob4

A 500 baht fine for each day after your visa expires. 

It's not the fine that's the problem. It's the overstay stamp that will be visible in your passport when you reapply for a visa or enter the country. 

I was always told not to overstay for even one day because that stamp can come back to haunt you later and I live by that advice here. 

• Like 2

28 hours seriously

i got three days one songkran never had a problem after that anywhere

jeez 28 hours  go 4 hours early make it 24 maybe you will maybe you wont pay 500

plus unless you speak thai it just looks like any old stamp no other country can tell

Edited by andy72
  • Like 1

Nakmuay887 is absolutely correct in that it is a 500 Baht per day, or part thereof, for each day you overstay, so you are up for 1,000, as I am not sure you will be able to check in for your flight early enough to get to immigration before midnight on the 10th. Many counters only open three hours before the flight is scheduled.

I wouldn't be concerned about the overstay stamp in your passport as two days is highly unlikely to ever give you cause for concern in the future.

However, if for whatever reason you get picked up or pulled over by the cops on the 10th, when you are already on overstay, you run the risk of being arrested. Showing your flight for the next day would hopefully see you on your way, but not necessarily so if the cop is a dick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

If you don't want any issues at all, you could apply for an extension of stay at any Immigration Office (cost 1.900 THB).

Even if you are already on an extension of stay, you could do the above.  Obviously your application will then be denied as you are only allowed one extension per entry, but your 'denied application' will result in IO providing you with a 7-days extension to enable you to organize your things and leave the country.

Thank you for your advice. Will they accept my extension application if i already extended my visa for 30 days? How do i make them to accept my extension application if they will see that i already have one.

I made a decision that i'll buy this ticket anyway but if there any possibility not to get overstay stamp i'd like to use it.

Edited by Mob4

10 minutes ago, Mob4 said:

Thank you for your advice. Will they accept my extension application if i already extended my visa for 30 days? How do i make them to accept my extension application if they will see that i already have one.

I made a decision that i'll buy this ticket anyway but if there any possibility not to get overstay stamp i'd like to use it.

Even if you are not eligible for an extension, Immigration will automatically give you the seven days to leave the country. It is best to avoid the overstay, not just because of the stamp in your passport, but also because the overstay remains in Immigration's system for ever, and can be used against you in the future.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

They will accept your application and the after you pay the 1900 baht fee it will denied and you will be granted 7 days to leave the country. Immigration does them on regular basis.

Thank you for the information. One more question. I'm currently in Hua HIn and extended my visa here. After a few days i'm planing to move to Bangkok and stay there until my flight. So to be able to apply for this (7 days) extension in Bangkok should i show up in Bangkok immigration first after i'll arrive to Bangkok when i arrive there? Because i think if i won't tell them that i moved from Hua Hin to Bangkok when i'll show up to get this 7 days extention they will tell me to go to immigration office where i extended my visa (in Hua Hin). Can you please advice me what should i do?

6 minutes ago, Mob4 said:

Thank you for the information. One more question. I'm currently in Hua HIn and extended my visa here. After a few days i'm planing to move to Bangkok and stay there until my flight. So to be able to apply for this (7 days) extension in Bangkok should i show up in Bangkok immigration first after i'll arrive to Bangkok when i arrive there? Because i think if i won't tell them that i moved from Hua Hin to Bangkok when i'll show up to get this 7 days extention they will tell me to go to immigration office where i extended my visa (in Hua Hin). Can you please advice me what should i do?

You are on a Tourist Visa and extension now, so you can apply at any IO for the 2nd - to be denied - extension that will provide you the extra 7 days needed to prevent you being on overstay.  Just pick one that is most convenient for you in the last week before your permission to stay expires.

Edited by Peter Denis

OP, if you arrive in bkk and check into hotel ask them to do a tm30. They can also give you copy. 

BTW your doing the right thing to avoid any sort of overstay. Some members suggest it's nothing. I understand that as io at airport are very casual about it. 

Some side issues are always possible. For eg Elite Visa serious about overstay even short. Have a couple and application in doubt. Just one example.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

A 500 baht fine for each day after your visa expires. 

It's not the fine that's the problem. It's the overstay stamp that will be visible in your passport when you reapply for a visa or enter the country. 

I was always told not to overstay for even one day because that stamp can come back to haunt you later and I live by that advice here. 

yep, the overstay can cause other issues. for example, they wont give elite visas if you have had overstays in the past few years.

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Clear through Immigration in 20 hours after expiry, then sleep in the terminal. You possibly find one of those walk-in business lounges.

You cannot clear immigration unless you have a a boarding pass. Check-In usually opens 3 hours before take off time. Not sure if you can use an on-line boarding pass printed at home beforehand.

6 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

What if immigration ask to see return ticket on arrival? 

A return ticket is not required for entry to the country. All that is needed is a ticket out of the country to anywhere.

You could get a low cost one way ticket to a nearby country that would be accepted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

Oh that's an interesting idea, off-topic a bit but do you think that would that work with a visa-exempt entry? I've been wondering how to handle my 'final' flight from Australia prior to applying for a marriage extension in-country. I don't intend returning to Oz any specific time so had resigned myself to wasting the return leg of any ticket i buy. 

Not really relavant to this thread, but you can buy an outgoing ticket to anywhere outside Thailand to use for this purpose.

3 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

off-topic a bit but do you think that would that work with a visa-exempt entry?

Yes; the only issue with a one way ticket is the airline could get a bit antsy and deny boarding. 

5 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

Oh that's an interesting idea, off-topic a bit but do you think that would that work with a visa-exempt entry? I've been wondering how to handle my 'final' flight from Australia prior to applying for a marriage extension in-country. I don't intend returning to Oz any specific time so had resigned myself to wasting the return leg of any ticket i buy. 

2 choices. Either buy cheapest onward  ticket to any city. Most likely about 1000baht.

Or Google sites like "rent a flight" gives you confirmed flight for short period of time. Often 48hours

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

Yes, buying a cheap one-way throw-away ticket from Thailand to a neighboring country to satisfy the 'onward flight' requirement for a VisaExempt entry would work.  Such tickets can already be bought for approx 35 US $ (e.g. HuaHin to KL, or DMK to Saigon).

But due to crazy airline tarifs, sometimes it is cheaper to buy a return-ticket than a one-way ticket so better check that option first.

Edited by Peter Denis

13 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Yes; the only issue with a one way ticket is the airline could get a bit antsy and deny boarding. 

Why do you think they would do that.

There is no requirement for you to have a return ticket.

7 minutes ago, graexx said:

1 year ago, I exited at surat thani with only 1 day overstay (20 hours) and they charged me 500bt. They said they didn't know of the 1st day waiver. Thay gave me a receipt too.

The only airports that waive the fine for a one day overstay is the 2 in Bangkok.

• Like 1