Overstay for 28 hours. What could be the possible outcome?

20 hours ago, andy72 said:

28 hours seriously

i got three days one songkran never had a problem after that anywhere

jeez 28 hours  go 4 hours early make it 24 maybe you will maybe you wont pay 500

plus unless you speak thai it just looks like any old stamp no other country can tell

If you have any overstays you are precluded from ever getting the Thai Elite Visa.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

A 500 baht fine for each day after your visa expires. 

It's not the fine that's the problem. It's the overstay stamp that will be visible in your passport when you reapply for a visa or enter the country. 

I was always told not to overstay for even one day because that stamp can come back to haunt you later and I live by that advice here. 

"I was always told not to overstay for even one day because that stamp can come back to haunt you later and I live by that advice here."

You should not believe everything you hear or read. Why would that stamp haunt you in the future? What are the odds immigration will find out he's on a 28 hours overstay? Don't forget he's got a ticket out of the country. Pay the fine at the airport and forget about it. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

"I was always told not to overstay for even one day because that stamp can come back to haunt you later and I live by that advice here."

You should not believe everything you hear or read. Why would that stamp haunt you in the future? What are the odds immigration will find out he's on a 28 hours overstay? Don't forget he's got a ticket out of the country. Pay the fine at the airport and forget about it. 

The answer is literally above your post.

Thai Elite visa is impossible with an overstay in the last 3 months, and there's no reason why that can't haunt you back on other types of visas too. 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The main issue is not the overstay stamp in the passport. The overstay is in Immigration's system forever. It might never cause a problem, but immigration officials can use it against you later. The possible issue qualifying for an Elite visa has been mentioned. The overstay can also influence officials in borderline situations when deciding whether to admit you into the country. Even more of a concern is the possibility that old overstays might be treated more seriously in the future. Play it safe and do not overstay.

• Like 1

I'm on day 5 overstay. I was flying to South Korea from here just as South Korea blew up and travel warnings were issued by my country. I decided not to go because last friday the Thai govt. announced 30 day extensions now also applied to non Chinese. However, now 7 days later, nobody knows how this works!

Us Embassy says no guidance has been given to them (the announcement said a letter from your embassy is required). Thai immigration is a black hole of "I don't know". So I have no idea what I am supposed to do. Obviously concerned about being unlucky in a stop by police. I was in Thailand getting medical treatment and had already paid for the 30 day at immigration on 31 January- so that wasn't an option.

Any suggestions as to how to actually utilize the announced 30 day extension?...

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why do you think they would do that.

There is no requirement for you to have a return ticket.

Perhaps pose that question to the various airline execs that dictate the rules their employees implement.

Edited by Salerno

On 3/5/2020 at 3:18 PM, darksidedog said:

Nakmuay887 is absolutely correct in that it is a 500 Baht per day, or part thereof, for each day you overstay, so you are up for 1,000, as I am not sure you will be able to check in for your flight early enough to get to immigration before midnight on the 10th. Many counters only open three hours before the flight is scheduled.

I wouldn't be concerned about the overstay stamp in your passport as two days is highly unlikely to ever give you cause for concern in the future.

However, if for whatever reason you get picked up or pulled over by the cops on the 10th, whe3n you are already on overstay, you run the risk of being arrested. Showing your flight for the next day would hopefully see you on your way, but not necessarily so if the cop is a dick.

Yes nothibg to worry about at thr airport just pay. I over stay 1 day they said not need to pay. 2 times.

25 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

Any suggestions as to how to actually utilize the announced 30 day extension?...

I feel for you and surely they will apply leniency in your case.

But do keep a copy of the thai government announcement that 30 days extensions are also applicable for non-chinese, at hand.  As well as the US Embassy statement that they did not receive any guidance.

I also suggest to copy-paste your post in a new thread with a clear title like 'On 5-day Overstay because of confusion on thai government announced extension for non-chinese', otherwise it might get drowned in the present thread.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Perhaps pose that question to the various airline execs that dictate the rules their employees implement.

Most airlines use the IATA guidelines and they allow for a onward ticket.

Enter the info and check it here. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Most airlines use the IATA guidelines and they allow for a onward ticket.

I know - we're talking a bout a flight out in 30 days (hence people on about throw away and refundable). Not sure what you are getting at?

25 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I know - we're talking a bout a flight out in 30 days (hence people on about throw away and refundable). Not sure what you are getting at?

It was this post you made that started the discussion.

7 hours ago, Salerno said:

Yes; the only issue with a one way ticket is the airline could get a bit antsy and deny boarding. 

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It was this post you made that started the discussion.

Yes, and I stand by it. Airlines can and have asked to see proof of leaving the kingdom within the timeline of whatever visa you have (or travelling visa exempt) with the threat of refusing boarding if you can't supply it. I never said anything about being refused by IOs on arrival so still not sure why this conversation. Are you disagreeing with the fact airlines can and do at times ask for proof?

Edited by Salerno