Thailand's foreign retirees see their good life slip away

webfact

1 hour ago, newnative said:

This American isn't suffering. 

So you are getting a better exchange rate of perhaps 35thb/1usd.

Or do you have so much money that it doesn't matter?

Many people did their financial planning but over the years banks have been bailed out (2008), currencies have been devalued and revalued over the years that when you make your plans figure that the current value of the currency you use will only be worth perhaps 50% in 10 years time.

You could be lucky and only lose 25% in those 10 years.

21 hours ago, zydeco said:

Well, that was a shallow read on the situation. Another article where retired expats = British = Pattaya. Really dislike the fact that I used up my single Nikkei Asian Review free article for the month on this piece of superficial reading.

Yes. And in the States it's common to come across those articles about the best countries to retire in--"researched" with only dimension: cost of living. So Malaysia, for example, is near the top. What a joke. I know Malaysia extremely well. It's a Muslim country with 30-35% minorities, and they're mostly awful people. Much as Thailand has deteriorated, it's leagues above Malaysia.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Many people did their financial planning but over the years banks have been bailed out (2008), currencies have been devalued and revalued over the years that when you make your plans figure that the current value of the currency you use will only be worth perhaps 50% in 10 years time.

Or rather than deluding yourself that just having a bank account is financial planning, you could have done actual planning via investments and currency hedges, gaining 200% in those 10 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paddypower said:

i don't see how a term deposit in your name can have a co-signatory? I must chek that out.

My wife is not "co-signatory" on my account, but she does have ATM card.  So any problem she has access to what ever she needs.

On occasion we have to seriously discuss what she sees as a problem requiring access to my funds but that is a different topic.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

What makes you think Australia would want you? You don't fit any criteria that I'm aware of. Simply being a disabled American is not a qualification. It used to be 45 years old was the cut off date for immigrants who did not have an Aussie sponsor.

I can attest to being difficult to get in Aus.  

I decided to apply for visa back in 2008, the economy was hot then and guys were banking near same as we were in Iraq with no body shooting at you and weekends off.  I got the application submitted about 1 week before my 45th birthday.  It took 3 years 19 days to get the approved visa.  Opportunities shift over 3 years.  I entered Brisbane in July 2011 to activate the visa and left on the next plane 8 hours later.  Never been back.

But the requirements were pretty stringent, apply before 45th birthday, have skill set enabling to contribute to economy, etc.  They didn't let just any one in and I am sure it is more difficult now.

YMMV

21 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

I can attest to being difficult to get in Aus.  

I decided to apply for visa back in 2008, the economy was hot then and guys were banking near same as we were in Iraq with no body shooting at you and weekends off.  I got the application submitted about 1 week before my 45th birthday.  It took 3 years 19 days to get the approved visa.  Opportunities shift over 3 years.  I entered Brisbane in July 2011 to activate the visa and left on the next plane 8 hours later.  Never been back.

But the requirements were pretty stringent, apply before 45th birthday, have skill set enabling to contribute to economy, etc.  They didn't let just any one in and I am sure it is more difficult now.

YMMV

8 hours huh? Man you gave yourself and Australia a good run to see what it was like there ....

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So you are getting a better exchange rate of perhaps 35thb/1usd.” It’s headed back up there now the USD is back up to almost 32thb to 1usd again now for the first time since 2017. So things really are looking more promising this year hopefully the virus won’t ruin it. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Hmmm, "on the cheap"? How do you define your constructs? My retirement budget is $2300.00 USD a month (includes $1306.00USD from Social Security). Challenge to deal with the cost of living in USA. Comfortable working middle class retirement here in Thailand (and some other countries). Many more working middle class folks here for financial reasons.

$2300 is about ฿72,000. That's an ok sum unless you're the sole provider of a big Thai family. If someone moved to Thailand from let's say the UK a few years ago they have seen the £ go down. If they had + ฿5,000/month at the time and then suddenly they were below 65k/month,imo that's being unprepared. You need to be able to handle crappy exchange rates over time when moving to another country as a retiree. I know loads of people having no money what so ever in a Thai bank and now their pension is below 65k/month. 

4 hours ago, Headgame said:

A fool, really? 
Financially unprepared is a relative condition.
The vast majority of retirees choose another country to retire because it is less expensive than their home country. Rather than being foolish, it is a very viable option.

it's not viable if you don't look ahead, it's called not living in reality..

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Hmmm, "on the cheap"? How do you define your constructs? My retirement budget is $2300.00 USD a month (includes $1306.00USD from Social Security). Challenge to deal with the cost of living in USA. Comfortable working middle class retirement here in Thailand (and some other countries). Many more working middle class folks here for financial reasons.

there's folks that 'live' here on a lot less than that, they were the ones screaming about the embassy changes and the new retirement visa financial constraints..

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

or desperate to try to find somewhere where they can afford a roof over their heads and food for their bellies. There seems to be a lot of very quick to judge folks herein (maybe not you?) about others lives and circumstances.

As an Aussie and from (a country of high cost of living) we have millions living on poverty incomes, suffering housing shortages - that which is rentable is at exorbitant prices and swallows up almost the whole of any pension or social security payment a person may be eligible for, a broken collapsing free medical system, food prices ridiculous, job vacancies lessening every quarter (no room for aged workers) etc etc. 

Not everyone has the capacity to have had a moderately to successful at life. Some suffer lifelong disabilities and problems e.g. (chronic mental health issues, addictions, trauma and abuse, multi-generational poverty and social and economic estrangement) that make any security as they struggle through, 'in survival mode'.  What is normal, expected as  a birthright or through application of hard work, 'having a go' as some say to some is normal but to others is an impossible fantasy.  

We have the same in Canada. So if you have issues that preclude you in earning a living (at least enough to satisfy another country's immigration policies) why would you come to a country that doesn't offer a social blanket when your own country does? What if you get sick or drink yourself into dire straits. That's being a super fool.. 

36 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

After nearly 20 years in North Thailand, I slipped away to a good life in Cambodia where there are no complicated Immigration and Financial bureaucratic rules, just simplicity!

yet your name Is burma bill,  internal revenue will Never find you!

• Haha 1

Has anything been done to promote facilitate long term staying here in the recent years? 

Have more new expats/pensioners arrived or have more existing ones left?

Have other countries nearby gained or lost momentum as an alternative for long term staying?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, zydeco said:

I used up my single Nikkei Asian Review free article for the month on this piece of superficial reading.

Same here 1 and done... this is starting to be a frequent occurrence on Yahoo, Aviation news etc...  when that pops up oh well don’t need read it...ughhh annoying 

And this article and attitude is way so many like myself and family left Thailand. We could afford and met all the requirements with ease however the changing immigration rules were he reason we left. We did not feel safe and secure. People who are rich are not stupid and will have research done before even contemplate retirement in Thailand. Their market always was Joe blogs retiring to Thailand and they have blown it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, aussienam said:

Yes, if there was ever a run on the banks similar to what has occurred in other developing nations and the government blocked withdrawals then we would all be screwed.  And complain you'll be deported LOL.

Also, the govt could ..errr...utilize the 800k to fight the virus.

..but no wolly naa...nek month, your money will be back in!

22 hours ago, david555 said:

Avoid total disaster by taking your allowed 400K in cash , as soon allowed...., and only return it to bank when the needed date is there again , at least you have  400K under your own hand if you fear some unrest situations ...

Cash is still king, Gold emperor , and plastic is only money as long no body press a special  button or certain  phone call …… after that it is only plastic ….same for bank account

I agree competely. Too often the Thai government changed regulations. so I leave just enough money in Thailand to fulfil the regulations. The rest.. outside TH.  What I did not need of the THB 65k/m, outside once a 3-6 months, to be used for the next monthly transfer(s).

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 2