Pattaya now without the Chinese

hazelandhoward

On 3/6/2020 at 11:39 AM, Inepto Cracy said:

"The tourists can stay away. I feel nothing for the crying thais. They killed my business in 2011.

I had a staff of 217. Let them grovel, maybe they, the thai folk, can get a government to care for the normal people, or tough TATs..."

Killed your business?

I was given some advice many years ago when I first started visiting  the Phillipines,"Never invest any money in Asia that you are not prepared to write off and walk away from" It has served me well.

Edited by findlay13

People need to be careful what they wish for. Sure the Chinese may have left and other tourist numbers on the downturn but the flow on effect might not be pleasant. Your favourite restaurant(s) might close, some of the bigger shops may follow suit baht buses get scarcer, golf courses affected etc etc. I'm sure you get the picture.

When the money dries up so do businesses as the smaller ones are already finding out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

People need to be careful what they wish for. Sure the Chinese may have left and other tourist numbers on the downturn but the flow on effect might not be pleasant. Your favourite restaurant(s) might close, some of the bigger shops may follow suit baht buses get scarcer, golf courses affected etc etc. I'm sure you get the picture.

When the money dries up so do businesses as the smaller ones are already finding out.

So far it isn't so bad......

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

So far it isn't so bad......

Good to hear. Lets hope we can still be saying that in 12 months if tourist numbers continue to decline. Its always about the money as I said before - when the money goes , business follows.

Not saying Pattaya will become a ghost town, I'm saying that there may be a lot less choice of amenities and activities available that made it attractive in the first place.

I just got back from my first visit down there.....mostly in Jomtien, but some in Pattaya. I thought the place was supposed to be dead! My boy asked me, “Where are all the Thai people? I only see farang.” Which is a good question as it seemed to be wall to wall farang. The place we stayed South Seas Condos was just a lot of Russians there. I expected to dislike the place, but I quite enjoyed it, and the food was good. Weather was also pretty cool....but it looks like it was the same most places.

• Like 1

if this is a long term effect, which i believe it is, then it will be good for felang in Pattaya. Chinese make up a percentage of the big spenders in Bangkok along with the Koreans and Japanese that will blow 4K just on lady drinks and lap sits. With less lap sit business some of the high end women from thermae cafe and such places will drift to Pattaya. ????

• Haha 2

On 3/7/2020 at 1:54 PM, emptypockets said:

I'm saying that there may be a lot less choice of amenities and activities available that made it attractive in the first place.

Before the Chinese arrived Pattaya catered ok for the residents, the Chinese existed in an "alternate society" more or less created solely for them, apart from shopping off course, the businesses that started just to solely cater to the Chinese market are most definitely going to suffer, others not so much.

• Like 1

Pattaya City had gone quiet for past 3 weeks.  By now,  toruist districts in Pattaya City are inactive and pretty dead except soi Baochao and LK Metro.   Jomtien had also been slowed down for days.  ( No longer lining up for bath Bus from Pattaya South Road to Jomtien.    

Today I rode bath bus from Jomtien Beach Road to  Pattaya soi 2.   Along the way,  there had been few shops locked up and closure and also some empty shops in Central Marina.    I do see any quick turnaround in months to come. 

A very tough slow season is on the way.  

On 3/6/2020 at 8:39 AM, Inepto Cracy said:

The tourists can stay away. I feel nothing for the crying thais. They killed my business in 2011.

2011. You still crying?

• Haha 1