Wrong date on UK Visa

A friend's girlfriend has just received her visitor visa but the enter date is one week earlier than her actual travel date.

That is obviously not an issue for arrival but, it does impact on her return flight date - which is booked and is 187 days after the visa start date..

Is anyone familiar with having to get a visa date changed?

For discussion, does anyone have a view on the applicant "overstaying" by one week to avoid any perceived hassle in getting the visa changed - or paying to change the return flight date.

What date did she put in her application as intending to arrive in the UK?

The visas used to be dated the date they were issued, then they started dating the visa for the proposed date of travel.

In her application did she state that her proposed trip was for six months, if so what did she give as her ties to Thailand, it's a heck of a long visit?

She could ask for her vingette to be reissued if her application stated she intended staying the full six months, if not she's in danger of opening up a can of worms.

8 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

What date did she put in her application as intending to arrive in the UK?

The visas used to be dated the date they were issued, then they started dating the visa for the proposed date of travel.

In her application did she state that her proposed trip was for six months, if so what did she give as her ties to Thailand, it's a heck of a long visit?

She could ask for her vingette to be reissued if her application stated she intended staying the full six months, if not she's in danger of opening up a can of worms.

Application stated 17 April and that she would stay up to 6 months (as on 2 previous occasions).

UKVI (or presumably the embassy) erroneously put 10th April.

Would a request for reissue be made to the embassy? I guess the embassy would be easier to speak to on the phone.

I'm not sure that she'd get through to anybody at the Embassy, and as the staff at the Embassy take no part in the decision making process I doubt very much if they could could help her.

As you're aware the decision is made in the UK, the visa vignette is printed in Bangkok and forwarded to VFS to stick in the passport. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the decision maker in Sheffield enters the data and the vignette is printed in Bangkok automatically, in a similar way to when passports were processed an the UK and printed in Hong Kong.

I'm assuming the intended travel date is no more than three months away?

The process for correcting mistakes used to be that the applicant pitched up to the Visa Application Centre and then they would contact the UKVI, I don't know if that's still the case, I suspect she would need to contact the premium "help line" number, you'll already be aware that the UKVI are notoriously difficult to contact.

Maybe someone has been through this recently and can advise. 

Just hypothesising now - and maybe someone has personal experience of this - what if the applicant ran with the overstay ?

What are the practical implications for subsequent UK visa applications?

16 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Just hypothesising now - and maybe someone has personal experience of this - what if the applicant ran with the overstay ?

So that's two 6-month, maximum-permitted stays and then a third 6-month stay that includes overstaying.

I reckon it should be OK as long as the overstay is clearly mentioned in the next visit visa application plus the reason for that overstay. Note that claiming the visa was issued with the wrong date probably won't be considered as valid excuse. Then it is simply a matter of the person processing the next application to consider that they don't see any issues with that visa history or the overstay and approving the next visa.

Then there's all the above versus a simple date change on a plane ticket.

30 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You’re friend’s girlfriend needs to keep in mind that Border Force Officers sometimes ask for sight of a return ticket, especially when a passenger might appear to be using consecutive visas to stay in the UK for extended periods, they are instructed to do so.
Having a return ticket after the expiry date of the visa will be an issue.

Regular six month holidays in the UK will eventually cause her a problem, either at the application stage or at the Border. 

47 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

You’re friend’s girlfriend needs to keep in mind that Border Force Officers sometimes ask for sight of a return ticket, especially when a passenger might appear to be using consecutive visas to stay in the UK for extended periods, they are instructed to do so.
Having a return ticket after the expiry date of the visa will be an issue.

Regular six month holidays in the UK will eventually cause her a problem, either at the application stage or at the Border. 

That is interesting.

I know many Thais who visit the UK for 6 months at a time on a 'family visit' basis (still a standard visitor). The typical case is where the UK husband needs to continue to work (to retirement) but wants his wife to spend time with him in the UK - and use his holiday entitlement to spend with her in Thailand. Settlement isn't favoured whether they meet the financial requirements or not.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

So that's two 6-month, maximum-permitted stays and then a third 6-month stay that includes overstaying.

I reckon it should be OK as long as the overstay is clearly mentioned in the next visit visa application plus the reason for that overstay. Note that claiming the visa was issued with the wrong date probably won't be considered as valid excuse. Then it is simply a matter of the person processing the next application to consider that they don't see any issues with that visa history or the overstay and approving the next visa.

Take your point entirely about the date change but I think in this case it is more complicated/costly.

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

That is interesting.

I know many Thais who visit the UK for 6 months at a time on a 'family visit' basis (still a standard visitor). The typical case is where the UK husband needs to continue to work (to retirement) but wants his wife to spend time with him in the UK - and use his holiday entitlement to spend with her in Thailand. Settlement isn't favoured whether they meet the financial requirements or not.

UKVI Visit Guidance said:

Frequent or successive visits: how to assess if an applicant is making the UK their main home or place of work
See: paragraph V 4.2(b) of appendix V: visitor rules.
You should check the applicant’s travel history, including how long they are spending in the UK and how frequently they are returning. You must assess if they are, in effect, making the UK their main home.
You should look at:
• the purpose of the visit and intended length of stay stated
• the number of visits made over the past 12 months, including the length of stay on each occasion, the time elapsed since the last visit, and if this amounts to the individual spending more time in the UK than in their home country
• the purpose of return trips to the visitor’s home country and if this is used only to seek re-entry to the UK
• the links they have with their home country - consider especially any long term commitments and where the applicant is registered for tax purposes
• evidence the UK is their main place of residence, for example:
o if they have registered with a general practitioner (GP)
o if they send their children to UK schools
• the history of previous applications, for example if the visitor has previously been refused under the family rules and subsequently wants to enter as a visitor you must assess if they are using the visitor route to avoid the rules in place for family migrants joining British or settled persons in the UK
There is no specified maximum period which an individual can spend in the UK in any period such as ‘6 months in 12 months’. However, if it is clear from an individual’s travel history that they are making the UK their home you should refuse their application.

Visit-guidance-v7.0EXT.PDF

12 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Take your point entirely about the date change but I think in this case it is more complicated/costly.

What could be less complicated than phoning the airline and changing the date for £75 or £150 or whatever it is? ????

Look at the terms & conditions of the ticket - the price will be there.

OVERSTAYING is a terrible idea.

RAZZ

16 hours ago, Jip99 said:

That is interesting.

And some of these people need to be careful about how they are using British visit visas. They seem to be of the opinion just because the UK generously gives 6 months for a tourist visa that they can do this every time and they can't. It is not within the ' spirit ' of the conditions the visa was issued.

British Immigration will eventually say you are not a tourist, you are living in the UK on tourist visas, which with this type of history, they are.

You can flower it up all you want by saying the partner has to work etc etc, this won't wash. Also, quoting others that have got ' away with it ' won't last indefinitely either.

The authorities will come to the conclusion that the purpose for which the visa was issued is being abused, and it is!

They cannot expect the British government to change the visa system and process to accommodate some individual just because applying for a settlement visa isn't favoured or doesn't suit their personal circumstances.

Thailand has requirements for Aliens residing within the country and so does the UK.

5 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Used to be?  Since when?

It clearly states that on the Thai Embassy website. ????

Since when have the processing procedures for UK Standard Visas ever been detailed on a Thai Embassy website?

Have you actually read the thread?

My understanding (maybe incorrect) is that the dates on the visa are a window for entry. Therefore the visa period starts upon entry and lasts for 180 days. Therefore you should be able to enter right up to the last date and then stay for the visa period of 180 days. I'm in a similar predicament with my wife. We are postponing entry until CV stabilises. Does anybody know for definite as the UKVI website is unclear...

20 minutes ago, Medicine Man said:

My understanding (maybe incorrect) is that the dates on the visa are a window for entry. Therefore the visa period starts upon entry and lasts for 180 days. Therefore you should be able to enter right up to the last date and then stay for the visa period of 180 days. I'm in a similar predicament with my wife. We are postponing entry until CV stabilises. Does anybody know for definite as the UKVI website is unclear...

Yes you're incorrect.

Whilst you can enter at any time after the start of the visa, the UKBA accept that peoples travel plans can and do change, but you must depart the UK on or before the expiry date printed on Visa Vignette.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:00 PM, Jip99 said:
On 3/7/2020 at 6:51 PM, NanLaew said:

I can't imagine a flight change being more costly than a future visa rejection and a possible ban.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I can't imagine a flight change being more costly than a future visa rejection and a possible ban.

Yep. Dead right.

The relative cost/inconvenience is far outweighed by potential future issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 10:17 PM, theoldgit said:

A friend’s GF has just received a refusal on a 10 year visa application which I think is an appalling decision - but OG’s comments above become relevant.

I will start a separate topic shortly, when I get the full details, but it begs the question - “What is the point of a 10 year visa”.

The applicant is one of several Thais I know who spend up to 180 days in the UK each year. By definition (and with a little more evidence) the UK cannot become the main residence. 

The applicant spent 180 days in the UK in 2018 and the same in 2019. In each case it was made clear that this pattern of spending the maximum time allowed in the UK (with the sponsor visiting the UK with his holiday entitlement) would suit the couple until the sponsor eventually retires to Thailand in approximately 10 years time. The sponsor has visited Thailand 14 times in the 6 year relationship.

With two approvals on this basis, and the pattern suiting their relationship, the sponsor opted for the savings afforded by a 10 year visa. 

He feels like he has been drawn in and then mugged for 800 Quid. I agree with him.

Archived