Thailand road carnage: Bodies all over the road in Chonburi horror smash

rooster59

18 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Correct it is not said in the OP but most thinking people would have assumed from the photo that the incident did, in all probability, occur in daylight.

You are correct, according the article the accident happened around 18.00 which on this moment in the year and that location it is still light outside.

Unless there is video footage, it will all be speculation on what exactly has happened.

What one sees is not always the same as what other has seen. Our brain remembers just what it interprets.

Also, responsible and fault are two things.

Fault can be from anyone on the scene and so is responsible, in a way that insurance and the police aren't always agreeing.

I am a bit staggering to say, but they all were in the wrong.

• Like 1

Its difficult to understand what really happened in this case. But the big problem in Thailand is not the Driving skills but the mentality and behaviour. In their egoistic way of driving they dont care about the other actors on the way or in their way. They dont have or dont want any overview and have absolutely nosense of proactivity. There is a big need for education.

• Like 1

Young Thai adults plus mature Thai know right from wrong, and that goes for some foreigners too, which disgusts me. All take risks and the authorities usually turn a blind eye because they are lazy, lawless and could not give a rats.

It is the very young I feel sorry for.

Play with fire, expect to get burnt!

31 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

Young Thai adults plus mature Thai know right from wrong, and that goes for some foreigners too, which disgusts me. All take risks and the authorities usually turn a blind eye because they are lazy, lawless and could not give a rats.

It is the very young I feel sorry for.

Play with fire, expect to get burnt!

I would suggest that the young and mature Thai's don't necessarily know right from wrong, in the majority of cases it's what is taught, acceptable, and normal to them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

I would suggest that the young and mature Thai's don't necessarily know right from wrong, in the majority of cases it's what is taught, acceptable, and normal to them. 

I would not necessarily disagree with you...

However my Thai wife-when it was carefully explained to her and affirmed-that Thai driving habits in Australia would quickly lead to confiscation of license,major fines and even incarceration-conformed upon the instant.

The Thai are not stupid when they perceive a heavy policing boot descending upon their head.

Asian Correspondent stated 80 deaths per day in 2015.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

However my Thai wife-when it was carefully explained to her and affirmed-that Thai driving habits in Australia would quickly lead to confiscation of license,major fines and even incarceration-conformed upon the instant.

The Thai are not stupid when they perceive a heavy policing boot descending upon their head.

Same as my wife who understands the concept of obey the road laws (in Australia) or else - and holds an Aussie driver's licence. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:12 AM, rooster59 said:

motorcycle carrying four people, including two young children

:coffee1:

You even see moron Westerners taking their kids on scooters here.

The children should be taken off the family.

Simply unfit parents. 

• Like 1

A post in which the quoted content had been altered has been removed as per the following:

Forum Netiquette

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:21 PM, Odysseus123 said:

In many ways they then become MORE conformist than the locals over there. I know this from lots of interactions with Thais who live, or have lived abroad. This goes for other Asians as well, who are used to similar "sabai sabai" attitudes to law enforcement back home, but know that the authorities in western countries mean business.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:22 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It never ceases to amaze me that these people can't recognise reckless driving, and driving with undue care and attention, which it seriously seems to be the case here, and immediately charge the drivers with it. He obviously wasn't paying attention or he wouldn't have needed to suddenly swerve and wasn't looking at what was coming the opposite way, or he wouldn't have pulled into the wrong lane and wiped three people out.

Do you drive in Thailand?

• Like 1

That exact same scenario could play out 1000 times every day on Thai roads.  You see it all the time. A motorcycle driving on/near the outside of the lane swerves to avoid hitting another motorcycle going in the opposite (wrong) direction on the same side of the road.  The car(s) following swerve to avoid the motorcycle that just pulled out in front of them right into the path of another motorcycle hugging the center line in order to make a right hand turn.  Bottom line, I'd bet a lot of money that this accident was caused by someone riding on the wrong side of the road; and, had absolutely nothing to do with the number of people on the motorcycle nor the car involved.    

On 3/7/2020 at 10:30 AM, ubon farang said:

4 people on a bike I thought motorbikes were made for 2 people It is just murder on wheels and it goes on day afer day with a useless police force doing nothing to help the situation

It IS the only transport they have. What would you do if that was all you had? (Rhetorical)

On 3/7/2020 at 1:57 PM, Don Mega said:

Jeez thats nasty, any helmets or motorbike licences involved ?

The Fino scooter is designed to carry a maximum of 2 people, read the instructions,!
any vehicle , car ,truck, bike or scooter is very difficult to control when overloaded, so blame must be allocated to the overloaded bike.

32 minutes ago, Baggy said:

The Fino scooter is designed to carry a maximum of 2 people, read the instructions,!
any vehicle , car ,truck, bike or scooter is very difficult to control when overloaded, so blame must be allocated to the overloaded bike.

Thank you for your in-depth analysis, definitely the fault of the bike, it must have been - they are on the correct side of the road, minding their own business and a car crashes head-long into them - - - no argument, it was their fault. 

Looking forward to your next accident report. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Baggy said:

555, thanks !!

18 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

It IS the only transport they have. What would you do if that was all you had? (Rhetorical)

So u think its ok 4 on a bike? Living dangerous then is ok. Control of that bike would be minimal would it not? But they are not rich people so they take that chance and besides they know no different.  Old saying in Thailand. Life is cheap. Sad but true and with all the bad drivers they have here the odds on having a smash like this is high.

1 hour ago, ubon farang said:

So u think its ok 4 on a bike? Living dangerous then is ok. Control of that bike would be minimal would it not? But they are not rich people so they take that chance and besides they know no different.  Old saying in Thailand. Life is cheap. Sad but true and with all the bad drivers they have here the odds on having a smash like this is high.

Well you did get one thing right, "they are not rich so they (have to) take that chance". 

Uh, oh!!! Do I swerve left or do I swerve right? If I swerve right will I head-on with a 10-wheeler or only a motorbike? I have 200 milliseconds to decide.

Let me guess - the motorbike the car swerved to avoid was making one of those infamous non-stop, left-hand turn and merge from a side road, yes?

Ever wonder why there are so few stop signs in Thailand? My hypothesis is that they realized early-on that it would be a waste to install them because they would be ignored anyway.