I am quitting with Qatar air.

Scouse123

9 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Now pay full fare and say that.

No.....they were absolutely fine....period

The bashing of BA by Brits is appalling and an internet myth these last 20 years has become an internet fact instead.

I'll tell you something else as well. Despite being on staff travel concession via brother the drinks flowed for 12 hours each way

You try that on Eva or Thai or even Qantas back when they ran the route

I dont care that the flight crew are not the prettiest. I get on a flight to get from A to B safely and no airline in modern times does it better than BA

18 minutes ago, Chivas said:

No.....they were absolutely fine....period

The bashing of BA by Brits is appalling and an internet myth these last 20 years has become an internet fact instead.

I'll tell you something else as well. Despite being on staff travel concession via brother the drinks flowed for 12 hours each way

You try that on Eva or Thai or even Qantas back when they ran the route

I dont care that the flight crew are not the prettiest. I get on a flight to get from A to B safely and no airline in modern times does it better than BA

I've flown BA many many times over the years and as recently as last October. The only reason I fly with them is that the company books the flights as they have a shed-load of airmiles. Honestly, they are not a patch on any of the ME airlines with old, ageing aircraft (Is the Dreamliner in circulation on th LHR>BKK route yet?), stupid seats where I'm seated backwards and the service has deterioted significantly over the years. In their defense I will say that they are much better than most of the American airlinies but then again who isn't.

I don't care about whether the flight crew are pretty, I care if they are competent (they are) and polite (seldom)

As an aside, I flew back from Bangkok a few years back with BA on the last 747.

Edited by Chelseafan

7 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I've flown BA many many times over the years and as recently as last October. The only reason I fly with them is that the company books the flights as they have a shed-load of airmiles. Honestly, they are not a patch on any of the ME airlines with old, ageing aircraft (Is the Dreamliner in circulation on th LHR>BKK route yet?), stupid seats where I'm seated backwards and the service has deterioted significantly over the years. In their defense I will say that they are much better than most of the American airlinies but then again who isn't.

I don't care about whether the flight crew are pretty, I care if they are competent (they are) and polite (seldom)

As an aside, I flew back from Bangkok a few years back with BA on the last 747.

Fella with 171 trips to Thailand from London you dont need to use the word "honestly" when trying to persuade me.

With that trip number it encompasses 27 different airlines so I do know marginally what I'm talking about

20 hours ago, StevieAus said:

The point I was making is that seats in economy are smaller than in business whatever airline you fly.

Fortunately I don’t have to fly economy and regarding the Qatar staff have always found them excellent maybe it’s different at the front try it one day,

I've tried it. Didn't have any effect on their attempt to get me to pay a change fee for a flight booked minutes beforehand and their disgusting lies in an attempt to wriggle out of EU 261/2004. Lied about it being a medical emergency for a passenger, so therefore exempt. There was no such medical emergency. When the CAA asked for information, they didn't reply to them at all.

It's just a scummy company that has a lot of money thrown at it. But rotten to the core.

• Like 1

Seeing I mentioned Oman right at the start of the thread they have cancelled there 22.00 local time departure 3 nights in a row Muscat Bangkok.....they do have three a day normally so am guessing they're consolidatings flights.....Morning out of Heathrow now has a very long connection to say the least to connect to Bangkok

On 3/7/2020 at 4:07 AM, Scouse123 said:

Slowly but surely they have chopped and chopped at service levels...............................................

Don't think of changing to Etihad then - almost everything you state in your post about Qatar also applies to Etihad.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2020 at 8:53 AM, drbeach said:

Why would anyone choose to fly via the Middle East to get to Europe when you can fly direct?

1. Some of us appreciate the break.

2. There are no direct flights from Manchester.

3. If you live in the North of England, Heathrow is a real pain to get to.

I've talked to quite a few people on this subject - those who travel regularly. Most seem to be the same as me - they start off on direct flights and then change over to indirect.  Although Etihad's 'perks' have fallen much the same as Qatar's seem to have, their lounges at Abu Dhabi are excellent.  I am happy to spend a few hours in there - shower, spa, dinner etc.  I often have a choice of flights with a 2 hour or 4 hour changeover and invariably choose the 4 hour. 12 hours on the same plane without a break? Not for me thanks.

53 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Seeing I mentioned Oman right at the start of the thread they have cancelled there 22.00 local time departure 3 nights in a row Muscat Bangkok.

I wondered if consolidation would begin. I asked the Etihad staff at Abu Dhabi on Wednesday and they said there were no known plans but the situation is changing fast.

It would make sense to me, its frustrating for passengers but they must be losing thousands of $ running with half empty flights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chivas said:

Fella with 171 trips to Thailand from London you dont need to use the word "honestly" when trying to persuade me.

With that trip number it encompasses 27 different airlines so I do know marginally what I'm talking about

I'm a high-flyer too as part of my job so I know what I'm talking about, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Love Rochester, used to drink a lot on the high street in my youth

On 3/9/2020 at 5:26 PM, Eindhoven said:

In a second case, they absolutely refuse to pay EU 261/2004 compensation for getting me in seven hours late. So I had to put a law firm on that case.

I once had to claim that at Emirates, AMS-BKK....i asked in BKK for the form to fill in and they said i could never get that 600 euro and there was no form for it..i sent one anyway and didn't hear anything for 10 days..so i put a lawyer (no cure no pay) on it but suddenly they just booked me the 600...before that lawyer even started.

Qatar also asked me about if i worked in thailand when i was in Doha..and how i got my visa.....that's not their business me thinks? I had an official multiple non-o in my passport and if she wanted to know who issued it she could read it.

On 3/10/2020 at 3:53 PM, drbeach said:

Why would anyone choose to fly via the Middle East to get to Europe when you can fly direct? I haven't visited the Middle East since I was a toddler, and the only reason we even went through there (Dubai) was to transit to Africa.

Well for the A380, smoke stop, taxfree shopping, stretching the legs...13 hours nonstop flying without a smoke or walk is too long. And also the price of course.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

1. Some of us appreciate the break.

2. There are no direct flights from Manchester.

3. If you live in the North of England, Heathrow is a real pain to get to.

I've talked to quite a few people on this subject - those who travel regularly. Most seem to be the same as me - they start off on direct flights and then change over to indirect.  Although Etihad's 'perks' have fallen much the same as Qatar's seem to have, their lounges at Abu Dhabi are excellent.  I am happy to spend a few hours in there - shower, spa, dinner etc.  I often have a choice of flights with a 2 hour or 4 hour changeover and invariably choose the 4 hour. 12 hours on the same plane without a break? Not for me thanks.

That's how i got lured into Emirates, first they had a free lounge for economy flyers where you could get free food...but after some years herds of indians came there as well and started fighting for plates and food...then the lounge was closed.

5 hours ago, Thian said:

That's how i got lured into Emirates, first they had a free lounge for economy flyers where you could get free food...but after some years herds of indians came there as well and started fighting for plates and food...then the lounge was closed.

Etihad Gold Members use the Business Class lounge at Abu Dhabi.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:07 AM, Scouse123 said:

it took them a great effort to find me a toothbrush

a bit demanding are you? 

if they don't give them out, and I would never expect that an airline would, where did they get the one they found for you? and from whom?

On 3/15/2020 at 5:01 PM, kenk24 said:

a bit demanding are you? 

if they don't give them out, and I would never expect that an airline would, where did they get the one they found for you? and from whom?

Wow,

Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

Did you sit up all night thinking of this fantastic response?

Qatar air always gave hygienic products on all journeys over 6/7 hours.

I like to clean my teeth after a meal so I can converse with other passengers without them being subjected to smelling of my meal.

But not high on your list of priorities?

On 3/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, kenk24 said:

I get a feeling that the ship sailed long ago on that one...

No worries, you have a nice day..

36 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Did you sit up all night thinking of this fantastic response?

to a complaint about airlines not providing toothbrushes... no, but you initiated the topic... obviously put much more into a trivial matter than I did.