renting a car in thailand

watgate

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you are not really used to Thailand's traffic chaos maybe rent a car with driver. That eliminates a couple of possible problems.

Huh? Sitting in the back seat while a Thai driver decides to undertake, shoot the gap or answer his phone is safer?

Surely you jest sir.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

Moonlover and Don i think you need to go offline, meet up in some quiet carpark and have a donut duel or duke it out with a decibel meter or something. Post the video here of course.

A very good suggestion. Well the first bit anyway. 

2 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

hmmm, a very literal and limiting reading of my post ... obviously i'm not talking about road rules in the legal sense ... but the rules that the locals follow ... if the alien adapts to these, the aliens survival rate improves. Practically Darwinian* theory.

* no i don't mean the George Darwin you used to go to school with, i mean Charles the 19th century naturalist (so as we're clear)

Took me about 2 years to calm down over daft road users. A tourist has no chance...

Now many years on, the daftness is still the same, the police are still the same, hence the road carnage is still the same.....

Just now, transam said:

Took me about 2 years to calm down over daft road users. A tourist has no chance...

Now many years on, the daftness is still the same, the police are still the same, hence the road carnage is still the same.....

Used to drive me bonkers the morons that would sit inches behind me at 140km/h on the motorway flashing their headlights expecting me to move over.... I find giving the hand brake a decent hard pull soon sorts them out.... I need to fit a 2nd dash cam facing out the rear window !!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Neither have I been asked for an IDP. My UK licence was acceptable. (N.A. now because I have a Thai DL)

This is inconsistant across the different rental companies. On the whole, I have never been asked to provide it until I booked recently with Avis.

On a seperate note, I did get stopped by the rozzers a few years ago at a roadblock, they asked for my passport and driving liscence (which I've never been asked for before). Thankfully, Mrs Chelseafan always carries them with her. They then asked to see my IDP which I was a tad surprised about, thankfully she had that too.

2 hours ago, saengd said:

Where ever do you get this tripe, if you're not bashing the banks, the currency or the economy you're bashing something else, this time the car rental companies, give it a rest for gods sake!

The major international car rental companies operate here in Thailand just as they do in many other countries around the world, in Thailand they are operated on franchises, Avis, Hertz, Budget etc. Each of them offer various levels of insurance at a price, as with any other country where you rent a car, the level of insurance is determined by your risk tolerance and your pocket book. I have rented cars from Avis over the years and have never had a problem, when I first arrived in Thailand I rented on a monthly contract with them for six months, again without a problem. It is not a "must" that the foreigner has an IDP, a Thai license works equally well or better. Make sure you retain a copy of your contract and if there are problems later your credit card company can be used as protection and leverage.

Cheaper rates can be had from the likes of Northern Wheels who the last I looked didn't require a credit card, I'm sure there are other local rental agents that are similar.

Just for clarity, isn't it a must if you are using a non-Thai driving liscense ?

3 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

I'll catch that one ... he means Sydney Rule #1 ... "I got there first"

For drivers new to Sydney, that's it, there really is only the one rule.

So Thailand is NOT the only country where that rule applies!

2 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Done it for 15 years. Never had a problem. It was simply a hold with receipt given.

One time there was a 1 day delay. Otherwise no issue. Debit cards have visa and mastercard symbols so it's the same system just u have your own funds not the bank.

I'm not sure about other countries but in the UK, if you use a credit card you have much more protection than you do if you use a debit card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This is not the case with the company I use. Cash for payment and the excess deposit is accepted and that's how I always pay.

Neither have I been asked for an IDP. My UK licence was acceptable. (N.A. now because I have a Thai DL)

I should state that I am talking about the 'mainstream' car rentals - the ones you can book online and from overseas.

All the ones I have used (and I did read come Ts&Cs) all stated that insurance coverage requires an IDP.

But yes there will be local companies that will accept cash and dont require an IDP.

2 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

I should state that I am talking about the 'mainstream' car rentals - the ones you can book online and from overseas.

All the ones I have used (and I did read come Ts&Cs) all stated that insurance coverage requires an IDP.

But yes there will be local companies that will accept cash and dont require an IDP.

None of the international car rental agencies demand an IDP, if you have a local license, even if booked online.

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Blah Blah Blah that doesn't answer my question and it certainly doesn't support your previous assertion.

Post 52 gave you the statistics you were too idle to look for.

49 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

I'll catch that one ... he means Sydney Rule #1 ... "I got there first"

For drivers new to Sydney, that's it, there really is only the one rule.

Yes it means that, but it also means: 

- that's the way we normally do things and have always done them in the past, regardless of what any law may specify, this is the key point.

- and it means bigger is better and bigger always has priority.

- and turn signals are useful for reminding others of what I've just done.

- and road signs, markings, speed limit signs etc are all only advisory.

6 minutes ago, saengd said:

Yes it means that, but it also means: 

- that's the way we normally do things and have always done them in the past, regardless of what any law may specify, this is the key point.

- and it means bigger is better and bigger always has priority.

- and turn signals are useful for reminding others of what I've just done.

- and road signs, markings, speed limit signs etc are all only advisory.

Okay, got it thanks. 

So you're basically saying they generally ignore or are unaware of the rules of traffic. 

I've always wondered why the police do nothing about it, when you do see them stop scooters. In one article a Thai policeman says that Thais don't expect that, because they are laid back and would get upset if police enforce traffic rules.

I asked a Thai friend. He said that police wouldn't enforce it because they know the vast majority of Thai are very poor and trafffic fines could have a life-changing impact on the recipient.

Either way, every time I go into traffic I have a very bad feeling in Thailand. You can't enjoy driving knowing any minute a total nuts event could happen. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Okay, got it thanks. 

So you're basically saying they generally ignore or are unaware of the rules of traffic. 

I've always wondered why the police do nothing about it, when you do see them stop scooters. In one article a Thai policeman says that Thais don't expect that, because they are laid back and would get upset if police enforce traffic rules.

I asked a Thai friend. He said that police wouldn't enforce it because they know the vast majority of Thai are very poor and trafffic fines could have a life-changing impact on the recipient.

Either way, every time I go into traffic I have a very bad feeling in Thailand. You can't enjoy driving knowing any minute a total nuts event could happen. 

Yes, that's about it. The police will have come from similar backgrounds to the people they are policing, they understand the attitudes and they know the people are mostly poor so they are unlikely to want to hammer them in most cases.

Those things said it is possible to drive here without a problem and to enjoy it, you just have to constantly be prepared and expect that anyone and everyone will do stupid things, without warning. In the West we expect that drivers will behave in a certain way and expect that now and again somebody will come along to break the rules. Here, everyone breaks the rules and you get used to it, that expectation becomes the norm. and you can relax.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

all that additional fluff doesn't translate to Sydney where ...

- all cars are all tiny and all fast, besides fast always has priority over size, that's physics for you

- turn signals are useless, never useful

- too many signs to comprehend and speed limits are irrelevant, average journey peak speeds always < 80% of speed limit so why would you distract yourself with your eyes darting between signs and your speedo?

only place they slow down in Sydney is school zones, police fondly think it's because of the eye-watering fines but in reality, they have to go under 40km/hr so the kids can jump in and out without scratching the paintwork. Don't get me started on the size of the backpacks those kids have to carry these days. Tchh.

School zones here are danger zones because that means school buses, really they are vans with windows driven by anyone who has one. Drivers of them are some of the worst on the roads, dangerous, entitled and regarding themselves as emergency or official vehicles.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, saengd said:

School zones here are danger zones because that means school buses, really they are vans with windows driven by anyone who has one. Drivers of them are some of the worst on the roads, dangerous, entitled and regarding themselves as emergency or official vehicles.

I definitely second that, I've seen shocking maneuvres by school bus drivers, once one forgot he had to turn and raced across three lanes. With Thai school kids in the back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I definitely second that, I've seen shocking maneuvres by school bus drivers, once one forgot he had to turn and raced across three lanes. With Thai school kids in the back.

did he make it unscathed ?

48 minutes ago, saengd said:

Post 52 gave you the statistics you were too idle to look for.

Nonsense, the figures in the link you posted were for all motorcycle casualties on Thai raods, if you think that answers the question posed:

"Can you give a source for the statistics showing how dangerous it it for experienced, sober, sensible correctly attired motorcyclists in Thailand?"

...then you must have been acting more than a little idly when you read the question. Plucking irrelevant statistics is not a proper way to support your argument.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Nonsense, the figures in the link you posted were for all motorcycle casualties on Thai raods, if you think that answers the question posed:

"Can you give a source for the statistics showing how dangerous it it for experienced, sober, sensible correctly attired motorcyclists in Thailand?"

...then you must have been acting more than a little idly when you read the question. Plucking irrelevant statistics is not a proper way to support your argument.

You don't get it, you keep thinking the way you are and you're going to die, I'll say it again, 75% of 25,000 deaths (and those are just deaths at the scene of the accident, the 30 day figure is in six digits. And those very well published stats. have been posted more times than I can remember, if you've never seen them before or don't believe them you've got an even bigger problem on your hands, naivety....do your research.

Correctly attired isn't going to help you when a semi truck trailer or a Vigo runs over you and experience doesn't count for beans when you don't have good luck as well.

You'll learn, at least I hope you will.

• Thanks 1

If the OP is still reading, there is a good summary of rental company details on the Expat Den web site. 

I maybe lucky but after renting a lot of cars in Thailand since the early 90s, I have not had any really bad experiences.  I don't have a lot of experience in the US but compared to Australia, the Thai rental companies are less aggressive with bond and late fees etc.  I had cars run in to my rental car twice over the years in Thailand and both times the insurance reps turned up, did their thing and I was not charged anything.  

Most recently I have been using Bizcar and they have been pretty good with a company account.  Prior to that, Hertz, Avis and Budget. and some smaller local companies.    

The standard of maintenance varies between companies and over time.  Even the larger franchises like Avis and Hertz can have relatively good cars for a while that deteriorate as the fleet ages before replacement.  In addition to checking minor body damage and scratches etc, condition of brakes and tyres are important to check on pick up, especially if the car is not young.  

6 minutes ago, saengd said:

You don't get it, you keep thinking the way you are and you're going to die, I'll say it again, 75% of 25,000 deaths (and those are just deaths at the scene of the accident, the 30 day figure is in six digits. And those very well published stats. have been posted more times than I can remember, if you've never seen them before or don't believe them you've got an even bigger problem on your hands, naivety....do your research.

Correctly attired isn't going to help you when a semi truck trailer or a Vigo runs over you and experience doesn't count for beans when you don't have good luck as well.

You'll learn, at least I hope you will.

I do get it. As you say, those figures have been widely published on here and elsewhere. When I first came here there was no way I would have hired or driven either a car or a motorcycle, I used multiple visits over a number of years to "acclimatise" myself, as far as that is possible, to the ways of the roads in Thailand. When I moved here I stuck to a small bike for the first year, despite owning and riding several bigger, faster bikes in the UK.

What I don't agree with is your apparent use of the raw data for all casualties to come to the conclusion that all riding is equally dangerous. It isn't. Whilst nothing can protect you from certain situations whether on a bike, in a car or simply walking, there are things that can be don to minimise the sisks as well as increase those risks.

Lumping everyone into the same risk category and coming up with a wild generalisation about riding bikes or anything else just doesn't work. Including drunk or drugged riders, visually impaired riders, under-age riders, unqualified riders, riders without helmets, those who don't ride to the conditions or within their own capabilities, those who ride on unroadworthy machines with defective brakes, lights, tyres etc., those who jump red lights, ride in the wrong direction, riding with too many passengers or insane loads, those who circumnavigate railway crossing barriers etc are all included in the overall figure but they all had increased the risks for themselves beyond the level for that which safer, sober, helmeted and well trained riders on safer, well maintained bikes expose themselves to.

Going back to tour original point: "And any westerner who drives a motorbike or similar here is simply asking for trouble, I don't care how much experience you have or how good you are, it plain and simply is very unsafe and the statistics confirm this."

All I'm saying is that it's not quite as "plain and simple" as you suggest.

As a footnote, this from the U.S. NIH. The fact that Thailand has a pretty useless record on just about everything listed here goes a long way to explaining their apalling death rates.

"Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcycle riders have a 34-fold higher risk of death in a crash than people driving other types of motor vehicles. While lower-extremity injuries most commonly occur in all motorcycle crashes, head injuries are most frequent in fatal crashes. Helmets and helmet use laws have been shown to be effective in reducing head injuries and deaths from motorcycle crashes. Alcohol is the major contributing factor to fatal crashes. Enforcement of legal limits on the blood alcohol concentration is effective in reducing motorcycle deaths, while some alcohol-related interventions such as a minimal legal drinking age, increased alcohol excise taxes, and responsible beverage service specifically for motorcycle riders have not been examined. Other modifiable protective or risk factors comprise inexperience and driver training, conspicuity and daytime headlight laws, motorcycle licensure and ownership, riding speed, and risk-taking behaviors. Features of motorcycle use and potentially effective prevention programs for motorcycle crash injuries in developing countries are discussed. Finally, recommendations for future motorcycle-injury research are made."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

full 1st class insurance

I really like to hear the definitions of 1 class insurance for Thailand and compare with i.e. Comprehensive insurance in example UK!  I regularly rent from the International companies usually included SCDW but when reading the small print and what it not cover it's simply scary.

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

I do get it. As you say, those figures have been widely published on here and elsewhere. When I first came here there was no way I would have hired or driven either a car or a motorcycle, I used multiple visits over a number of years to "acclimatise" myself, as far as that is possible, to the ways of the roads in Thailand. When I moved here I stuck to a small bike for the first year, despite owning and riding several bigger, faster bikes in the UK.

What I don't agree with is your apparent use of the raw data for all casualties to come to the conclusion that all riding is equally dangerous. It isn't. Whilst nothing can protect you from certain situations whether on a bike, in a car or simply walking, there are things that can be don to minimise the sisks as well as increase those risks.

Lumping everyone into the same risk category and coming up with a wild generalisation about riding bikes or anything else just doesn't work. Including drunk or drugged riders, visually impaired riders, under-age riders, unqualified riders, riders without helmets, those who don't ride to the conditions or within their own capabilities, those who ride on unroadworthy machines with defective brakes, lights, tyres etc., those who jump red lights, ride in the wrong direction, riding with too many passengers or insane loads, those who circumnavigate railway crossing barriers etc are all included in the overall figure but they all had increased the risks for themselves beyond the level for that which safer, sober, helmeted and well trained riders on safer, well maintained bikes expose themselves to.

Going back to tour original point: "And any westerner who drives a motorbike or similar here is simply asking for trouble, I don't care how much experience you have or how good you are, it plain and simply is very unsafe and the statistics confirm this."

All I'm saying is that it's not quite as "plain and simple" as you suggest.

As a footnote, this from the U.S. NIH. The fact that Thailand has a pretty useless record on just about everything listed here goes a long way to explaining their apalling death rates.

"Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcycle riders have a 34-fold higher risk of death in a crash than people driving other types of motor vehicles. While lower-extremity injuries most commonly occur in all motorcycle crashes, head injuries are most frequent in fatal crashes. Helmets and helmet use laws have been shown to be effective in reducing head injuries and deaths from motorcycle crashes. Alcohol is the major contributing factor to fatal crashes. Enforcement of legal limits on the blood alcohol concentration is effective in reducing motorcycle deaths, while some alcohol-related interventions such as a minimal legal drinking age, increased alcohol excise taxes, and responsible beverage service specifically for motorcycle riders have not been examined. Other modifiable protective or risk factors comprise inexperience and driver training, conspicuity and daytime headlight laws, motorcycle licensure and ownership, riding speed, and risk-taking behaviors. Features of motorcycle use and potentially effective prevention programs for motorcycle crash injuries in developing countries are discussed. Finally, recommendations for future motorcycle-injury research are made."

"Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcycle riders have a 34-fold higher risk of death in a crash than people driving other types of motor vehicles". That looks pretty plain and simple to me!

55 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

I really like to hear the definitions of 1 class insurance for Thailand and compare with i.e. Comprehensive insurance in example UK!  I regularly rent from the International companies usually included SCDW but when reading the small print and what it not cover it's simply scary.

prolly best to understand the local fine print than worry too much about whats in a UK policy.