renting a car in thailand

watgate

18 minutes ago, saengd said:

"Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcycle riders have a 34-fold higher risk of death in a crash than people driving other types of motor vehicles". That looks pretty plain and simple to me!

No worries, if you just want to see headlines or first lines and not look beyond them into the detail then everything becomes plain and simple, for some of us the devil is in the detail! Each to their own.

I have booked online with economycarrentals.com several times and never had any problems  or deductions from my deposit. Everything is clear and in English and they offer a cdw. So everything is covered before you come. They offer smaller Thai rental companies and despite always choosing the cheapest, I have always received good vehicles and good friendly service with a relaxed easy-going check of the vehicle when I have returned it.

https://www.economycarrentals.com/

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 1:49 AM, AussieBob18 said:

You must use a credit card for the deposit - they will not accept cash/debit etc.  But here is where it can become very serious - and it has for some people in the past - seach TV and the web.  If the accident/theft is not covered by their own insurance (for whatever Thai reason), they will hit your credit card with the costs.  Some have been known to hit the credit card and then refund some/all of the charge months later when/if there insurance company pays up.  There is no hard and fast rules/laws - this is Thailand - maybe OK, maybe not. 

I've used a prepaid mastercard credit card in the past for situations this. Looks like a normal credit card for all intents and purposes, but any charge over and above the credit you've put on it ill be rejected. Never had an issue though.

To save a load of headaches should you be involved in an accident ALWAYS hire from a large multinational hirer e.g. Eurocars, Avis etc.

Small Thai hirers will nearly always have weird coloquial rules and processes that won't match with your home country hiring processes, and I am sad to say will default to screwing you over if there are problems.

Don't go the local hirer route to save a lousy few dollars a day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

I've used a prepaid mastercard credit card in the past for situations this. Looks like a normal credit card for all intents and purposes, but any charge over and above the credit you've put on it ill be rejected. Never had an issue though.

When I was full-time in Thailand I did the same - but having to put 40K minimum into the account and not being able to use it much because most places we spent money at took cash, and the fees and charges, made me change to a 'standard' credit card which charges nil and gives up to 30/50 days to pay.

On 3/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, saengd said:

I've driven in Thailand for the past almost twenty years, averaging around 15k miles per year. My experience is that there are westerners who can drive a car or truck here and there are those who really shouldn't drive anything anywhere. And any westerner who drives a motorbike or similar here is simply asking for trouble, I don't care how much experience you have or how good you are, it plain and simply is very unsafe and the statistics confirm this.

I've driven both cars and scooters in Thailand for ten years, rental and vehicles I own. Have never had an accident. Scooter is for around town, car for further afield.

The criteria I have are I won't drive with any alcohol in my system, and I point-blank refuse to drive at night. That's when the drunks and crazies are about.

• Like 2

As another US citizen, rented cars several times, and never had problem. Always use a credit card, both Visa, and Master Card, as they provide rental car insurance at no charge. Always take photos of the before renting, and email them to the company, person renting before driving off. Easy, and simple.

• Like 2

108 posts before someone mentions it. It is much cheaper to buy independant CDW (as Americans call it) online than adding it on a daily basis to the rental cost.

For those choosing not to buy extra insurance to reduce your liability to zero, you should read the rental contract small print very carefully to see how much you are liable should the vehicle be stolen. It may surprise you.

15 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

108 posts before someone mentions it. It is much cheaper to buy independant CDW (as Americans call it) online than adding it on a daily basis to the rental cost.

For those choosing not to buy extra insurance to reduce your liability to zero, you should read the rental contract small print very carefully to see how much you are liable should the vehicle be stolen. It may surprise you.

Even better, either pay for the insurance or choose a rental car company with reasonable excess limit.  There ares still a few in Thailand under 30k baht. 

On 3/8/2020 at 1:49 AM, AussieBob18 said:

You must use a credit card for the deposit - they will not accept cash/debit etc. 

Incorrect. Many of the smaller Thai companies will accept cash or debit cards.

There are some sharks out there though, I recommend anyone renting from anywhere in Thailand takes photos of all panels and seats etc. before leaving the depot and make sure they see you take the photos.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Incorrect. Many of the smaller Thai companies will accept cash or debit cards.

There are some sharks out there though, I recommend anyone renting from anywhere in Thailand takes photos of all panels and seats etc. before leaving the depot and make sure they see you take the photos.

Only the smaller ones will. None of those at the airports.

Good advice re taking photos. And when the guy arrives to do the handover, make sure he sees you taking photos and do that before signing anything. Be nice and smile a lot - but make sure he sees and knows you have throughly checked the car and have photos.  

Just now, AussieBob18 said:

Good advice re taking photos. And when the guy arrives to do the handover, make sure he sees you taking photos and do that before signing anything. Be nice and smile a lot - but make sure he sees and knows you have throughly checked the car and have photos.  

Typically they will have a check sheet and you walk around the car with the person and they mark on the sheet each imperfection.... thats when I take photo's, they give me a copy of the check sheet.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

As a rule yes, however - and I wouldn't recommend this but I've blagged it twice with Budget and Thai Rent A Car. Handed my debit card over (saying nothing) on both occasions and didn't have a problem. Neither of those were booked online though.

Many of the smaller companies will deliver to the airport.

Edited by KhaoYai

19 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

As a rule yes, however - and I wouldn't recommend this but I've blagged it twice with Budget and Thai Rent A Car. Handed my debit card over (saying nothing) on both occasions and didn't have a problem. Neither of those were booked online though.

Many of the smaller companies will deliver to the airport.

Interesting - might try that if ever desperate - walk up and try debit card.