Is that right a airport visa into Lao is 96 USD?

Take some pix, smaller USD denominations and a pen with you and sort it out upon arrival at the airport/border point - simple as that.
Indeed, the fees vary depending on country of passport but that is just another funny thing about Laos. The official website would read https://laoevisa.gov.la/index and works well. Facilitating the visa story as you can do it at your convenience ???? 

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

Visa on arrival is your best option, but bring US$, no credit card facilities.

That may have changed since, but cash was the go last time I crossed from Nong khai.

I paid in Baht. An excepted currency in Laos.

20 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I paid in Baht. An excepted currency in Laos.

The last time I paid in baht I got a VERY poor exchange rate. I also forgot to take a passport photo with me so they charged me the equivalent of $1 extra to "exempt" me

14 minutes ago, CuriousKen said:

I am still confused. Can I enter at Vientiane airport and buy a visa on entry, or do I have to have an evisa in advance????

Please!

You can do either. As mentioned above make sure to use the correct website to avoid being ripped off. I think your online application needs to be applied for a few days prior to flying.

I flew in from kL a month ago without a visa and they sorted everYthing in 5 minutes, photo and all at the visa on arrival kiosk, bring a pen.

It was very quiet. 

39 minutes ago, CuriousKen said:

I am still confused. Can I enter at Vientiane airport and buy a visa on entry, or do I have to have an evisa in advance????

Please!

Thank you catsmac.

Er a blue ink pen or a black ink pen?

No just kidding, thanks for the information. ????