Bank Savings Interest Rates 2021

7 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

The day before my last extension I went to my Bangkok bank branch to get the letter and to update my Fixed Deposit bank book.  I didn't need to deposit anything.  The clerk updated it with a B/F transaction code and the current date.  I interpreted B/F to mean Balance Forwarded.

Nice. I don't bother with going to the bank, I just use the ATM/PBU at immigration the day I go, and transferring money in or out is free as is updating the book. 

My BKK Bank branch is useless...

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 11:05 PM, Yellowtail said:

Chaengwattana. If you make a deposit right before you update the book, the current and historic balance is pretty clear. It works for me. That said, it is a dedicated account without a lot of additional transactions. 

The first time I tried it was when the bank asked me if I wanted the letter or if I just wanted to update the book. She tole me either one would work. 

In over ten years of renewals at CW a bank letter as well as bankbook update has been required for my extensions. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

In over ten years of renewals at CW a bank letter as well as bankbook update has been required for my extensions. 

I don't know what to tell you. I've only been going two years (had a work permit before that) and have not had to have it. I got it the first year, the second year the gal at the bank said I shouldn't need it and I did not. 

It only takes a few minutes to get at the Krunsri CW office branch anyway, so need to get it ahead of time. I wish they would make the photo copy though....

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 3:30 PM, Yellowtail said:

I went in to re-up my 12 month and the gal recommended the Mee Tai Dai. Used to have to deposit at least 1,000 to update the book at Immigration, now I can transfer, deposit or event deduct anything and update the book at immigration same day so don't even need the letter.

Also, they don't tax the interest for the first three months of the year...

In order to stop tax withholding from your Mee Tai Dai account, you need to show them your Thai Tax ID card.   You can get it for free at your local Revenue office.

In August Thai bank deposit insurance is reduced to 1 million baht from the current 5 million so I am looking to park some cash, will be about 400K.  

I stumbled upon Kasikorn's  K-eSavings (1.5% up to 100K) and also their LINE BK Special Rate Account 12 months (1.5% up to 500K).  Anyone know anything about these accounts?

https://kasikornbank.com/en/rate/Pages/deposits.aspx

I would prefer if it wasn't a Time Deposit for a number of reasons but will consider them.  I also prefer banks/accounts that won't withhold interest if I show them my Thai Tax ID card.

Any ideas for my excess funds over 1 million?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, orientalist said:

Thanachart's e-Savings account still has 0.9% interest rate.

CIMB Thai's tax-free Senior account is now down to a lousy 0.7%

Don't know about Thanachart, but the good esavings rates are often limited to 1-200k.  Senior account at CIMB is good for 1.5 million... but the branches around BKK, including the main one, have an extremely poor attitude towards foreigners, and very poor English skills to go with it. 

Edited by moontang

10 hours ago, moontang said:

...but the branches around BKK, including the main one, have an extremely poor attitude towards foreigners, and very poor English skills to go with it. 

How many have you been in?

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How many have you been in?

Started at Thewet, but that branch was closed.. went to Mahanakan... had trouble with letter... Went into Wangsawan a number of times....totally worthless.. And that brought me to the main branch near Ploen chit, Lang Suan.. which was hugely dissapointing, time consuming, aggravating, and annoying.  BBL at Sala Dang saved the day....also had banked at three CIMB in Chiang Mai and One in Udon.  Had a letter rejected from one in CNX, and that was the best branch, where I first opened the accounts.. After BBL at Pantip had multiple signs advertising 2 5/8% and after the usual stall and delay, handed me the book and it stated 2.5%..  

8 hours ago, moontang said:

Started at Thewet, but that branch was closed.. went to Mahanakan... had trouble with letter... Went into Wangsawan a number of times....totally worthless.. And that brought me to the main branch near Ploen chit, Lang Suan.. which was hugely dissapointing, time consuming, aggravating, and annoying.  BBL at Sala Dang saved the day....also had banked at three CIMB in Chiang Mai and One in Udon.  Had a letter rejected from one in CNX, and that was the best branch, where I first opened the accounts.. After BBL at Pantip had multiple signs advertising 2 5/8% and after the usual stall and delay, handed me the book and it stated 2.5%..  

Bummer. I bank with Kasikorn, Krungsri and Bangkok. Never had any negative treatment, although of the three, Bangkok seems the biggest PITA.

18 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Bummer. I bank with Kasikorn, Krungsri and Bangkok. Never had any negative treatment, although of the three, Bangkok seems the biggest PITA.

Krungsri CNX was excellent and foreigner friendly.  A few of the Bible were great about wiring money..outbound..in Chiang Mai and even the one by UTH Immigration..But She even acknowledged they tried there best to steer people to agents at imm even though their stuff was in perfect order and her branch was a three minute walk..Now it looks like I did a good move getting my money and myself out in early April...things were really starting to come unraveled.  And screw KimEng too...what a goddamn circus trading stocks was.

Edited by moontang

On 7/1/2021 at 10:18 PM, moontang said:

Don't know about Thanachart, but the good esavings rates are often limited to 1-200k.  Senior account at CIMB is good for 1.5 million... but the branches around BKK, including the main one, have an extremely poor attitude towards foreigners, and very poor English skills to go with it. 

Thanachart e-savings is currently 0.9% for the first 5 million baht.

CIMB senior account is now limited to 2.5 million at 0.7% and only one lump sum deposit. That's pathetically low. Last year it was 1.5%

On 6/17/2021 at 12:29 AM, shortstop2 said:

I stumbled upon Kasikorn's  K-eSavings (1.5% up to 100K) and also their LINE BK Special Rate Account 12 months (1.5% up to 500K).  Anyone know anything about these accounts?

I tried to sign up for the e-savings using K-Plus app and it told me to go to a branch to update personal information. After 30 minutes at the branch it turned out this is for residents only. If you are not Thai but have a pink card they said you would have to change your existing accounts to reflect your Thai-language name and ID. I said no thanks.

Thanachart's e-savings also required my Thai ID number, but ONLY for that account and retaining the English name. My savings account remains under my passport ID and name.

Edited by orientalist
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, orientalist said:

I tried to sign up for the e-savings using K-Plus app and it told me to go to a branch to update personal information. After 30 minutes at the branch it turned out this is for residents only. If you are not Thai but have a pink card they said you would have to change your existing accounts to reflect your Thai-language name and ID. I said no thanks.

That odd, I have accounts at Krunsri with both Thai and English names. I use the Thai name account to pay my social medical...

Senior account was nearly impossible to update.. And was rejected for lack of current date, even though interest was paid out monthly and balance carried forward.  My idea was to add a FD to the book, but as stated, it is limited to one lump at a time.  However, after some calks and her looking in her binder ten times, I was able to add a six month 10,000 FD to that book... The senior FD books are generally a different book.. And if the mature during seasoning.. Look out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moontang said:

Senior account was nearly impossible to update.. And was rejected for lack of current date, even though interest was paid out monthly and balance carried forward.  My idea was to add a FD to the book, but as stated, it is limited to one lump at a time.  However, after some calks and her looking in her binder ten times, I was able to add a six month 10,000 FD to that book... The senior FD books are generally a different book.. And if the mature during seasoning.. Look out. 

What do you mean by "Senior account", is this for you visa? 

Is FD fixed deposit?

I just do an online transfer into my account the morning I go to immigration and update the book. 

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What do you mean by "Senior account", is this for you visa? 

Is FD fixed deposit?

I just do an online transfer into my account the morning I go to immigration and update the book. 

Was using the tax free senior fixed deposit for my 800k...cant add online and was hard enough to do in person.  That was cimb...

Edited by moontang

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 11:15 AM, lifedrainer said:

Wow this topic should be updated quarterly for real.

Please feel free to contribute relevant info as much as you like...............

The pound actually rose above 45 baht last week. Whoopee!

Meanwhile... The new TTB (Thai Military Bank + Thanachart) sent me an SMS saying that the old Thanachart interest rates would only apply until August 1 and that my PromptPay was cancelled. When I opened the Thanachart app there was a notice about a smooth transition and an activation code for TTB Touch App. But I couldn't even get started because it claimed my personal info was incorrect. I called the call centre (answered immediately and very efficient) only to be told they have no record of my ID and I must go into a branch to get it sorted. I pointed out that nearly all branches of Thanachart are now closed because they are in malls...

I still have the old (pre-Thanachart) Siam City ATM (not debit) card, so I am pretty certain that would just be eaten by an ATM machine.

This caused me to check interest rates for special savings accounts at other banks, especially since Thanachart eSavings is only 0.9% now. It turned out that expat favourite Krungsri Mee Tae Dai account is now 1.10% for amounts up to 100K and 1.00% for amounts up to 1 million.

So off I went to Krungsri head office and spent an hour there applying for the new account, but I was able to register with my Pink Card + tabien baan and use my English name as per my passport. Also, since I have a Thai tax number they will not withhold tax. I liked Thanachart but if interest rates go down on August 1 they probably won't see me again.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, orientalist said:

Has anyone managed to sign up for the LH Pro-Fit no-book savings account (1.50%) at a branch yet? The app doesn't allow non-Thai citizens to apply for new accounts.

Have not tried but I was able to open a SCB Easy Account earning 1.5% at a branch.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposits/savings-account/easy-saving-account.html

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 2:47 PM, shortstop2 said:

Have not tried but I was able to open a SCB Easy Account earning 1.5% at a branch.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposits/savings-account/easy-saving-account.html

What documentation did they request when you opened your SCB account?

I went to an SCB branch in a local CM BigC anchored mall.  It was an illuminating experience.  The machine to issue a queue ticket would only say "Please see SCB staff" except for the deposit/withdraw option.  OK...got one of those.

Before my number was up one of the non-teller staff asked in me in weak English how she could help.  I said I would like to open an account and asked what documentation was required.  She answered passport and work permit.  I showed my RETIREMENT extension stamp and explained I'm not allowed to work.  She insisted work permit MUST be shown.  I responded that I know of several retired farang without work permit that have successfully opened an SCB account.  I then asked her to call her head office to see if it would be possible.

She came back in about 5 minutes and handed me the phone so I could speak to a more senior SCB staffer.  The lady on the phone explained that they would copy my information, send it to their International customer section and call me back.  The branch worker also gave me her business card.

Unfortunately when they did call me back I was in a meeting with our home builder and couldn't talk.  My Thai wife asked that they call back in an hour, but that didn't happen.

Today I'm off for another in-person attempt at the same branch.  I'll be more prepared with an (expired) Residence certification from local Thai Imm., bank books and statement for other banks.

Edited by gamb00ler

2 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

What documentation did they request when you opened your SCB account?

I don't think they wanted anything but my passport.  But I did have other documents with me so I am not entirely sure.  It was quite easy.

I also kept telling the rep to take my Thai Tax Identification Number so no tax would be withheld.  She said tax must be withheld .  But I was insistent and that they at least take my number even if they are going to withhold tax.  When interest was received in June, I only had the account for a few days, no tax was withheld though.  Maybe what they meant was tax over 20K would be withheld which isn't going to happen given the size of my account.

This was at the Central Festival branch in Pattaya.