Passport left in restaurant

offset

A passport, phone and credit card was left in my GF restaurant this morning and nobody has come back to claim, I am looking for advice what to do about it. Should we take it to police but we are worried that if he not up to date with is immigration he might have a problem, also I have seen before that if a phone is found it should be left where it is found for the owner to find it and if you pick it up and are stopped by the police you will be accused of stealing it

I would wait till tomorrow evening.

Chances are slim that by then the owner hasn't turned up, but in that case you can then bring it to the police where he - having forgotten he left it in your GFs restaurant - will probably have reported it then.

• Like 1

Taking your post at face value I suggest hanging on to it for a few days before returning it directly to the appropriate Embassy in Bkk or Hon Con in HH if there's one there. You could also monitor local FB/Twitter community pages or post a message without blatantly compromising the holders 'full monty' ID details.

(I assume you have checked the back page for Nok contact details & found none?)

HTH 

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Taking your post at face value I suggest hanging on to it for a few days before returning it directly to the appropriate Embassy in Bkk or Hon Con in HH if there's one there. You could also monitor local FB/Twitter community pages or post a message without blatantly compromising the holders 'full monty' ID details.

HTH 

I have left a message on a Hua Hin group page we cannot understand why he not come back because his money was in the wallet (also HK dollars) so was his UK credit card and his Uk driving licence we are just hoping he comes back for food in the morning 

Also is phone is here so not sure he can post any where

Edited by offset

2 minutes ago, offset said:

I have left a message on a Hua Hin group page we cannot understand why he not come back because his money was in the wallet (also HK dollars) so was his UK credit card and his Uk driving licence we are just hoping he comes back for food in the morning 

There's a Full Moon as I speak ????

(Many in this bracket head to KT/KPG and might not realize they have lost anything until they actually arrive. I'm told the FMP has been cancelled this month cos of the virus but 'TiT')

HTH

2 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I once found a USA passport in BKK;  phoned the embassy. They insisted that I didn’t hand it to the Thai police as the embassy didn’t trust them. Instead they took my phone number and personal details and told me to hang on to it until the owner contacted me, which he did the next day. About 2 months later I found an Aussie passport; called the embassy who insisted that I personally deliver it to the embassy ASAP, didn’t even get a smile or thank you off those miserable gits, let alone offer of recompense for having to take taxis across BKK.

Embassies might also be duty bound to block passports as soon as they're officially notified; meaning that the holder will have to get a new passport even if they're reunited with the original. This may seem harsh but it's to prevent large bills being generated in holders names if 'live' passports are cloned.

• Like 1

Just now, evadgib said:

Embassies might also be duty bound to block passports as soon as they're officially notified; meaning that the holder will have to get a new passport even if they're reunited with the original. This may seem harsh but it's to prevent large bills being generated in holders names if 'live' passports are cloned.

I was thinking of going to the immigration with his passport because they should have his address 

I was thinking if I lost all these things I would be worried No money, UK credit card, phone and passport

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Immigration will know where he's staying.

Yes I was thinking that but looking in his passport he visits Thailand often and he might be staying at a friends house and if they not report him he might get into trouble

• Like 2

1 minute ago, offset said:

I was thinking of going to the immigration with his passport because they should have his address 

I was thinking if I lost all these things I would be worried No money, UK credit card, phone and passport

If you go anywhere I would suggest tourist police, but only after you have waited as per my initial post.

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Call the last three numbers in the phone.

or 

search phone contact for “mother” or “dad”. Call them. 

Or 

Answer the phone if it get the call.

His phone has a password on it

I did not think about him ringing it we should of tried to recharge it (battery was empty) but just thought he would come back for it

Edited by offset

Send an email to his embassy, specifying that you have certain papers and objects from one of their nationals and that he can come and pick them up at your girlfriend's restaurant.
Perhaps, in the meantime, the dizzy will return home.
If it is wanted, it will be a nice story commented on this forum.

1 hour ago, offset said:

It was locked and was very low on battery which as now run out

Put the phone on charge and start it. What would you do if you lost the phone?

• Call the number. If he has already called it might come up on the locked screen.
  • Use the Find my phone app on Apple or Android.

You could try to take the sim out and put it in your phone. Some SIM/Phones will let you check the current phone number by either looking in the settings under the SIM settings.

Or put the SIM card in your phone and then dial *1# and it should return the SIM's number with the country code in front. Then call the number. He might already have it diverted. Or leave a message on the message bank telling him that his phone and passport is safe and tell him where to find it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offset said:

Also is phone is here so not sure he can post any where

The reason he hasn't come back is because he doesn't remember where he left it.  If he did it wouldn't be lost now would it? Was he drinking while at the restaurant? That could be part of the issue.

Just now, HuskerDo said:

The reason he hasn't come back is because he doesn't remember where he left it.  If he did it wouldn't be lost now would it? Was he drinking while at the restaurant? That could be part of the issue.

It was about 9am and I am told he was quite sober

We will put it on charge in the morning but hoping he come back for food in the morning it not the first time he had breakfast there

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, offset said:

It was about 9am and I am told he was quite sober

We will put it on charge in the morning but hoping he come back for food in the morning it not the first time he had breakfast there

Search his name on Facebook and match his passport pic to his profile then message him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Search his name on Facebook and match his passport pic to his profile then message him.

Good idea the but only man on FB with that name has not posted on FB for over 18 months (so I guess he not use any more) I cannot compare picture because I left it all in the restaurant 

Edited by offset
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, offset said:

Good idea the but only man on FB with that name has not posted on FB for over 18 months (so I guess he not use any more) I cannot compare picture because I left it all in the restaurant 

Depends on his privacy settings on fb.

Hello,

If it's someone who's been to your girlfriend's restaurant before, chances are they'll come back today.
Either, she trusts you and recovers her goods, today, in this case, she should have contacted you.
Either she has various health problems, or a road accident victim.
Everything is possible.
If no news this morning, notify the municipal police, in the center of HH and the tourist, between 19 and 35 and the embassy.

9 hours ago, offset said:

if a photo was taken of the photo in the Passport - 'that' could then be Shared/Tagged back to the name of that Facebook page. Hopefully the Page is not Locking out NonFriends Tags etc...

and someone who's a Friend of the FB target would see it, and maybe contact the actual FB acct holder? (never know he might also have a laptop back in his room, to be ponline with?) 

- at least this would eliminate that person if it wasn't the Passport loser himself

Edited by tifino

7 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Leave the phone turned on. Maybe the person will call. That's how we returned one phone.

What kind of phone? If an iPhone, swipe left to right. Hopefully the person has some favorite phone contacts. 

there is no battery left on phone and we not have a charger that fits it