What Laptop.

NoshowJones

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Sorry, I know everyone has different experiences, I have had bother with all my Lenovos, laptop, tablet, and desktop, I just don't trust Lenovo, and their after sales service really sucks.

I won't force you to buy anything you don't want.

But you might find it interesting that almost all IT professionals recommend ThinkPads.

Because Lenovo, like many brands, have cheap consumer products and some have also professional products.

The ThinkPads (especially the T series) are very good in many ways. Great mechanical protection, great quality build, software support for many years even after the 3 year warranty is expired, ...

ThinkPads will always be my first choice for notebooks and if I had a 15k budget a 2nd hand ThinkPad would be my first choice.

But that of course is only IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Just a curious what the technical issue with using a converter - VGA to HDMI or similar ...  I tend to use them with my older Lenovo X201 when not able to plug into a compatible monitor

With most converters you lose quality, especially digital to analogue. VGA will never be as good as a digital signal, especially for higher resolutions.

But if you have no other choice then a converter is obviously what you have to use.

The exception are DVI to HDMI cables. They use the same electrical signals just with other connectors. Nothing is converted to no quality is lost.

• Thanks 1

I am 99% sure there is nothing wrong with your hardware, which is what we are discussing.  You are describing classic software symptoms, and malware behavior.  Let me know how much you want for the laptop.  I will have it running top speed ASAP!

14 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Late last year it started freezing up in all sorts of ways and the local computer shop fixed it, it was fine until now, I took it back, he said he fixed it again, but when I brought it home it was just as bad. I will never trust Lenovo again.

I don't remember being advised against it, but one poster, I think it was Jingthing, recommended it.

Nothing to do with the Lenovo.

Probably your harddrive is the problem.

Put an ssd hardrive in and it will be quicker then when it was new.

About 450 baht for a 240gb ssd. About 900baht for a 500gb ssd.

Keep the 15,000 baht in your pocket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Specification
CPU
Intel Pentium J5005 (quad core max 2.8 ghz)
Display
Main Memory
4GB DDR4
Storage
1TB 5400RPM
Optical Media Drive
SLIM DVD RAMBO 9MM
Graphics
Inte UHD Graphics 605
Web Camera

USB
1 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0
D-Sub/VGA
-
e_SATA
-
HDMI

Card Reader

Express Slot
-
Connection
10/100/1000 LAN, 802.11 ac + Bluetooth 4.0
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Weight
การรับประกัน
3 Years
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am hesitant to recommend a particular brand to buy but I will not hesitate to tell you which one you shouldn't buy. Stay away from an I-pad or ANT apple product for that matter. I say this based on my own experience with the I-pad I bought. I replaced it with a Huawei and I have no complaints. Matter of fact I just was in a mall yesterday and saw the new model that includes a keyboard for 17,000 baht and I'm thinking seriously about buying it for my wife's birthday. Pretty darn cool at a reasonable price. Or I could buy the tablet without the keyboard for 15,000 baht. Hmmmm decisions decisions.

For Windows laptops, I have generally had a very good experience with Dell.

Great battery life, solid construction and good choice of models/product ranges,

depending on the intended application - office/home use/power-user/gamer etc.

Prices are very reasonable as well - Dell accessories are also excellent, especially their monitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I won't force you to buy anything you don't want.

But you might find it interesting that almost all IT professionals recommend ThinkPads.

Because Lenovo, like many brands, have cheap consumer products and some have also professional products.

The ThinkPads (especially the T series) are very good in many ways. Great mechanical protection, great quality build, software support for many years even after the 3 year warranty is expired, ...

ThinkPads will always be my first choice for notebooks and if I had a 15k budget a 2nd hand ThinkPad would be my first choice.

But that of course is only IMHO.

I know many IT peeps and they all hate Lenovo stuff.

I personally prefer Dell (Iam not an IT person) and have never had an issue.

59 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Nothing to do with the Lenovo.

Probably your harddrive is the problem.

Put an ssd hardrive in and it will be quicker then when it was new.

About 450 baht for a 240gb ssd. About 900baht for a 500gb ssd.

Keep the 15,000 baht in your pocket.

If I may ask, where did you find SSD's for those prices.

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I know many IT peeps and they all hate Dell stuff.

Easy.

Exactly, thank for reinforcing my point that a stupid claim about "I now many peeps in IT that like such and such a brand" a complete and utter wank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had a Lenovo desktop for about five or six years and I have had no problems at all.  In fact, it is probably one of the best desktop computers I have ever had.  I also have a two-year old Dell desktop that I bought for my son.  I bought it mainly because it was on sale and the price was very good.  If I were buying a new computer today, I would probably buy either another Lenovo or a Dell.  Personally, I don't like laptops because of the keyboards and that stupid square to control the cursor.

I just bought a new HP Spectre 15" with a 1tb ssd drive ($1799+tax in the states), I still have my old trusty Dell 4600 (heavy and not good for traveling) and I also have an Acer chromebook that was $299 usd (new). I catch myself using the chromebook the majority of the time. The chromebook is lightweight and great for basic computing needs. The biggest thing you have to watch out for if you consider a chromebook is they only receive a certain number of years of updates. My support expires in June of 2022. After that I'll just run it as a Linux laptop and spend another 300 bucks for a new one. If you have an issue with it, just do a quick power wash and it's back to running like new! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I agree 100%, thats why I use a separate mouse and keyboard (And monitor).

For my day to day machine (web browsing/emails/youtube) I'd probably look at buying an Intel Nuc next time round.

NUCs are really great. I have two, one for office and one for media centre HDMIed to a 55 Samsung. Cannot fault one bit, and everything is Intel so good quality.

• Like 1

OP,I don't think that your problems are hardware related.

Freezing in, etyc are typically software problems. Wrong drivers, Windows updates and fishy "free programs'.

If I would have to buy a notebook, I'd go for a DELL.

But if you continue to use a dodgy computer shop where they are using highly infected external hard drives and memory sticks, you'll have the same issues with any other machine.

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2

I have 2 Asus 17.3 '': for 1) 8 years & no2 3.5 years .. Employs every day (8-10 h.). Super machines ... I had Toshiba, Dell & Acer. since 20 y. Good machines, but ASUS better performance & without any repair ... My opinion!

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Late last year it started freezing up in all sorts of ways and the local computer shop fixed it, it was fine until now, I took it back, he said he fixed it again, but when I brought it home it was just as bad. I will never trust Lenovo again.

I don't remember being advised against it, but one poster, I think it was Jingthing, recommended it.

Any problems with last Win 10 update?

Might pay you to take a look at this post as he seems to have similar problems after an update.

And as others have said it could well be that the laptop itself is ok?? Also take a look at WiseCare 365 as a programme that can uncover many problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

I am 99% sure there is nothing wrong with your hardware, which is what we are discussing.  You are describing classic software symptoms, and malware behavior.  Let me know how much you want for the laptop.  I will have it running top speed ASAP!

I was thinking about a new laptop to replace my Lenovo all in one, it has been a disaster.

16 hours ago, ravip said:

Have been with HP Laptops for decades... EliteBook, ProBook, Pavillion.

HP are rubbish and should be avoided at all costs. I bought a new one and even though I did not use it for a year or so ( still in box) it got a pink screen after a short few months of use but HP did not repair as it was over 12 months old. Look up Pink screen on laptop and avoid those makes.

I advise ACER I got one for myself 15 years ago and it served me well. I bought one for my daughter and she loves it. Very reliable make and fast too. 

Edited by Sumarianson

45 minutes ago, ravip said:

I guess a factory reset... kind of obvious and self explanatory?

Well not really.

I power wash my driveway with a high pressure hose, I believe doing the same to my laptop will severely affect its performance.

• Haha 2