What Laptop.

NoshowJones

46 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I don't even know what an SSD is, I don't buy things all to quickly, Before I bought that AIO I had my last desktop for nearly six years, I also have another Lenovo, the one that goes like a tent, for when I go traveling. 

If at some point, you'd like to have a go at fixing the Lenovo yourself, we'll seek out and put together a guide for you.

The worst thing about these devices is the getting inside them. But they shouldn't be that difficult. In the past, it just took a couple of screws undone to get to the storage drive. Now you may need to remove the whole of the back casing. 

But it is doable. As long as you still have use of your faculties, we should be able to guide you through painlessly.

10 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

If at some point, you'd like to have a go at fixing the Lenovo yourself, we'll seek out and put together a guide for you.

The worst thing about these devices is the getting inside them. But they shouldn't be that difficult. In the past, it just took a couple of screws undone to get to the storage drive. Now you may need to remove the whole of the back casing. 

But it is doable. As long as you still have use of your faculties, we should be able to guide you through painlessly.

I appreciate you trying to help me, but never in my life could I handle anything mechanical, motors, computers etc, all my talents are in music.

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I appreciate you trying to help me, but never in my life could I handle anything mechanical, motors, computers etc, all my talents are in music.

If you are a musician, you'll have manual dexterity;

There is nothing technical about it. It's just about being able to follow instruction.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

This is what I mean. Better to have a basic understanding before acting.

Currently, in both your AIO and new laptop, you have the old magnetic spinning disc kind of storage.

They cannot react as quickly as the new fangled SSD(Solid State Drives. Think SD cards, USB drives). SSD have no moving parts, so can react much more quickly and are much more able to handle the rigours of the modern Internet.

Currently they cost as little as 500 baht. Swapping your old and slow HDD(Hard Disc Drive) for an SSD, can make all of the difference.

Old style and new style for comparison.

WD-500Gb-2-5-HDD-SATA-500G-HD-3-6.jpg

sandisk_sdssdh3_250g_g25_ultra_3d_250gb_

I went into a small computer shop in the next town about 15Ks away called Advice. I asked about an SSD and she put about six different ones at different prices on the counter, the cheapest was 260Bt, I wasn't sure about which one to buy, would any one of these fit in to my Lenovo AIO? If so I would buy the dearest one.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I went into a small computer shop in the next town about 15Ks away called Advice. I asked about an SSD and she put about six different ones at different prices on the counter, the cheapest was 260Bt, I wasn't sure about which one to buy, would any one of these fit in to my Lenovo AIO? If so I would buy the dearest one.

Erm....how could I possibly know? Provide pictures or model numbers.

This is what Advice has available: https://www.advice.co.th/product/solid-state-drive-ssd-?category=ssd-sata-2-5-128-gb

Cheaper here; https://shopee.co.th/120GB-240GB-480GB-SSD-(เอสเอสดี)-WD-GREEN-SATA-III-6Gb-s-Warranty-3-Y-i.74778579.6116936444

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I'm sorry to be so dumb, between the language difficulties and my lack of know how about computers.

So I have to take my computer to the shop, which is not a problem, to make sure I get the right SSD, or even the make and model number.

If they can install it, as Trans has suggested, all the better. As it's a bit of a fiddly job for you. Laptop too.

You won't regret it, especially for when it comes to the new laptop.

The performance of your new laptop is somewhat akin to a mid range laptop of ten years ago. It is also in dire need of an SSD.

42 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If normal format as shown all will fit but you need to have enough storage capacity for your operating system/hidden files and what you plan to use for programs and such.  So the cheapest is likely to be too small.  I am using a larger 480GB drive and it seems to be working well now that I applied current firmware patch.  Suspect it is best you take to shop and have them clone to a drive large enough and make the physical change (which is all easy for anyone doing such things).  It really makes computer much more pleasant (faster to perform memory operations).  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I'm sorry to be so dumb, between the language difficulties and my lack of know how about computers.

So I have to take my computer to the shop, which is not a problem, to make sure I get the right SSD, or even the make and model number.

No, any of those to which I have linked are suitable. I don't know about what you have seen.

You might be able to buy them cheaper online, but if Advice will fit it for you, probably better to go with them.

WD Green will be ok for you. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

If normal format as shown all will fit but you need to have enough storage capacity for your operating system/hidden files and what you plan to use for programs and such.  So the cheapest is likely to be too small.  I am using a larger 480GB drive and it seems to be working well now that I applied current firmware patch.  Suspect it is best you take to shop and have them clone to a drive large enough and make the physical change (which is all easy for anyone doing such things).  It really makes computer much more pleasant (faster to perform memory operations).  

Really not necessary. 120 GB is fine for day to day usage. I am using the same and have over 60 GB of music and video on it.

Cloning crud from another install is not recommended. Clean install to SSD is best.

So really no need for a large capacity SSD. Comes down to how much he wants to spend.

If you are changing from 1TB system, which believe most are now, you are likely to want more than 120GB.  The idea is to have fast access and in my case USB is 2 so external drives are fine for bulk storage but not great for running programs.

Have done both clone and new but Windows 10 loads a totally bad video driver for Lenovo B310 so easier to clone and use the old drivers on HDD and have some old software that must use the clone process to keep.  Was not able to get monitor working for new install (which may be me but no easy system like other Lenovo models).

Just now, lopburi3 said:

If you are changing from 1TB system, which believe most are now, you are likely to want more than 120GB.  The idea is to have fast access and in my case USB is 2 so external drives are fine for bulk storage but not great for running programs.

Have done both clone and new but Windows 10 loads a totally bad video driver for Lenovo B310 so easier to clone and use the old drivers on HDD and have some old software that must use the clone process to keep.  Was not able to get monitor working for new install (which may be me but no easy system like other Lenovo models).

Not likely. It's not that he chose 1 TB because he needed it, but more because that is what came with the system.

Secondly, if the old HDD is still functional, he can place it into a caddy for use as external storage.

So forget about the idea of needing to clone to a large capacity SSD, as it is simply not necessary.

Chances are that he has next to nothing stored on the AIO. I would go no more than a 240 GB SSD. But for day to day usage, 120 GB is fine. Not sure why you brought USB 2.0 into it. Perhaps you meant SATA 2.0.

32 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

If they can install it, as Trans has suggested, all the better. As it's a bit of a fiddly job for you. Laptop too.

You won't regret it, especially for when it comes to the new laptop.

The performance of your new laptop is somewhat akin to a mid range laptop of ten years ago. It is also in dire need of an SSD.

Are you suggesting he voids any warranty he may have on the unit ?

Just now, CharlieH said:

Are you suggesting he voids any warranty he may have on the unit ?

You don't void warranties by replacing storage drives and RAM. Even if he did, so what?

First of all, AIO isn't even working, so what good a warranty? For the laptop, he can buy the SSD online and get the local ACER service centre(if there is one) to fit it for 300 - 400 baht + VAT, thus protecting any warranty.

But if the laptop has a dedicated hatch for replacing the HDD, then it is regarded as a user replaceable part and won't affect the warranty.

5 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Not sure why you brought USB 2.0 into it.

Because my computer is limited to USB2 is much slower than USB3 which current computers use so external drivers are limited to much lower speeds.

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You don't void warranties by replacing storage drives and RAM. Even if he did, so what?

First of all, AIO isn't even working, so what good a warranty? For the laptop, he can buy the SSD online and get the local ACER service centre(if there is one) to fit it for 300 - 400 baht + VAT, thus protecting any warranty.

But if the laptop has a dedicated hatch for replacing the HDD, then it is regarded as a user replaceable part and won't affect the warranty.

If that were true, then why the security stickers stop you are warn you against even opening the case.

Would it not be considered as changing the specification of the supplied unit.

So what ?? That's a bit harsh considering he has 18 months warranty and may not want to "throw it away" 

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Because my computer is limited to USB2 is much slower than USB3 which current computers use so external drivers are limited to much lower speeds.

He is not running his PC on external storage, so it really has no bearing on anything.

It's the SATA revision that is important. But in this case, neither is important.

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If that were true, then why the security stickers stop you are warn you against even opening the case.

Would it not be considered as changing the specification of the supplied unit.

So what ?? That's a bit harsh considering he has 18 months warranty and may not want to "throw it away" 

Is there a security sticker on the dedicated hatch? Have you access to the OP's device?

So what is your suggestion? Keep a non working unit for eighteen months and only then try to fix it?

Not at all helpful....

6 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Is there a security sticker on the dedicated hatch? Have you access to the OP's device?

So what is your suggestion? Keep a non working unit for eighteen months and only then try to fix it?

Not at all helpful....

No, return it to the authorised repair facility and have it repaired at no cost under warranty. That would be the way I would go and recommend. 

Not potentially void the warranty and try something I had no knowledge or previous experience of doing following the advice of an internet forum member! THAT is unhelpful and potentially costing people money unnecessarily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trolling posts in violation of forum rules have been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No, return it to the authorised repair facility and have it repaired at no cost under warranty. That would be the way I would go and recommend. 

Not potentially void the warranty and try something I had no knowledge or previous experience of doing following the advice of an internet forum member! THAT is unhelpful and potentially costing people money unnecessarily.

Thanks Charlie, I will take it to a lenovo dealer in Phitsanulok, anyone tell me where it is?

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks Charlie, I will take it to a lenovo dealer in Phitsanulok, anyone tell me where it is?

Some here are full of 'useful advice', until it comes to the crunch.

Try here; http://www.vserveplus.co.th/en/index.php/services-center.html

Let us know how it goes and what they do.

ADDRESS
117/7 Pra Ong Dam Road, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Phitsanulok, Phitsanulok 65000, Thailand

TEL.
+66 5521 2323-4

6 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Some here are full of 'useful advice', until it comes to the crunch.

Try here; http://www.vserveplus.co.th/en/index.php/services-center.html

Let us know how it goes and what they do.

ADDRESS
117/7 Pra Ong Dam Road, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Phitsanulok, Phitsanulok 65000, Thailand

TEL.
+66 5521 2323-4

Thanks a lot, the warranty has another 18 months or so to run, and the wife does not want me to go to any of the big cities because of the virus. Phitsanulok is about 80 odd Ks from my village.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks a lot, the warranty has another 18 months or so to run, and the wife does not want me to go to any of the big cities because of the virus. Phitsanulok is about 80 odd Ks from my village.

Call both Lenovo Thailand and vserveplus beforehand, to ensure that it isn't a wasted journey.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 6:56 AM, PoorSucker said:

Buy a laptop you are comfortable to travel with. 

Then by a separate screen and keyboard. 

Plug in the laptop to the big screen and normal keyboard when you are home. 

You get the benefit of a nice home setup and be able to take your computer anywhere. 

I am very interested in getting a separate and keyboard, please excuse my ignorance but the screen I have was used with a tower, and obviously cannot fit in to a laptop, what sort of screen should I get? Does it just fit straight into the laptop with some sort of usb type of input, or is there another way? Also, does it have a plug to the mains.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am very interested in getting a separate and keyboard, please excuse my ignorance but the screen I have was used with a tower, and obviously cannot fit in to a laptop, what sort of screen should I get? Does it just fit straight into the laptop with some sort of usb type of input, or is there another way? Also, does it have a plug to the mains.

Yes it can, all you need is the right cable connector/adapter.

Look at the plug connection on the screen, look at the available ports on the laptop and get a cable to link them.

Exactly the same scenario if you ever wanted to link laptop to TV.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Yes it can, all you need is the right cable connector/adapter.

Look at the plug connection on the screen, look at the available ports on the laptop and get a cable to link them.

Exactly the same scenario if you ever wanted to link laptop to TV.

Thanks Charlie, will have a look when I go to Phichit next week for 90 day report.

Edited by possum1931

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks Charlie, will have a look when I go to Phichit next week for 90 day report.

Take a pic of the Screen connector with your phone, then a pic of the laptop ports, that will help ensure you get right thing. Just a suggestion.