Shared taxis in Poipet late at night

I think I'm going to get a visa for Cambodia.

But if I get the 1pm train to Aranyaprathet I won't get there till around 7pm-8pm.

Will there still be shared taxis for about $15 heading to Siem Reap at that time.

In the past I've always arrived around midday and there were guys sorting people into shared taxis.

If worst comes to worst I can stay in Aranyaprathet for a night and get taxi in morning.

Cheers!

Are you one of those nevertobeturnedoff train freaks?

There are at least 3 direct buses from BKK to SR, no bus change, but get off for the checks: GiantIbis, Nattakarn/BoKoSo (from Mochit bus) and ThaiTravelMart. Check a site like movetocambodia for the blogs about all these. TTM even says it has a nightbus, but that means they drop you at border just near 5.00/6.00 when it opens.

Since recovering from Khmer Rouge days Camb. was never keen on travel after dusk and this only very slowly changes.

For dedicated trainfreaks: the train PoiPet-stops Battambang-PnPn runs again, check royailrail for the dates. Then you have to stay overnite at Aran for sure.

Travel questions do not have much to do with getting visa etc.

3 minutes ago, asanee said:

There are at least 3 direct buses from BKK to SR, no bus change, but get off for the checks: GiantIbis, Nattakarn/BoKoSo (from Mochit bus) and ThaiTravelMart.

They're all pretty awful, and they usually try to scam you for unneeded VISA help at the border.

I don't mind them scamming the foolish, but I do object to the 1 hour delay the scam builds into the border crossing.

How the scam works, they always convince a few they need the help, so they park the bus too far from the border for the refusers to walk, while they send a scooter off with the marks passports and buy a VISA. Then the scooter comes back, you all go to the border and the refusers buy their VISA. Two waits instead of one.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They're all pretty awful, and they usually try to scam you for unneeded VISA help at the border.

I don't mind them scamming the foolish, but I do object to the 1 hour delay the scam builds into the border crossing.

How the scam works, they always convince a few they need the help, so they park the bus too far from the border for the refusers to walk, while they send a scooter off with the marks passports and buy a VISA. Then the scooter comes back, you all go to the border and the refusers buy their VISA. Two waits instead of one.

just get your visa sorted beforehand, once the agents realise you have one they take you straight to the border as you're worthless to them. it's always worth being organised up front.

Basically just what BritManToo said.

I can't be bothered with all the scams.

Once I have a visa I can just pay the $15 for a shared taxi.

Just don't know if it's available later at night.

I'm not going to waste time dealing with bus touts then doing visa myself while leaving luggage on bus.

9 hours ago, samsensam said:

just get your visa sorted beforehand, once the agents realise you have one they take you straight to the border as you're worthless to them. it's always worth being organised up front.

No, the bus still stops for an hour while they get other peoples VISA.

Archived