Cambodia no longer one of the cheapest places to live: study

geovalin

34 minutes ago, Venom said:

Cambodia is a dump. I would not even consider raising children there. The Chinese can have it.

Actually if single and had a vasectomy I would love to keep trying to have kids with the fine gals over there. Cheap in this respect. .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Venom said:

Cambodia is a dump. I would not even consider raising children there. The Chinese can have it.

I rather live in the dump called Cambodia than in the dump called usa (unless they give me an obscene amount of money and immunity ????)
The Chinese (and Russians) probably own already a significant part of both countries...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

My experience just traveling to Cambodia a few times is that it is about the same.

Sure, you can probably go to some cheap outskirt areas, but in and around the cities the same.  

It most certainly is not "a lot cheaper" the cost of here if a person wants a semi modern lifestyle ( not 3rd world).

Beer is cheaper yes.  I actually know guys who use this as their motivation to go there.

Whatever it takes to get thru the day I guess. 

50c for beer in Siem Reap and 75c for beer in Phnom Penh (bars & restaurants) is considerably cheaper than anywhere in Thailand

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

I rather live in the dump called Cambodia than in the dump called usa (unless they give me an obscene amount of money and immunity ????)
The Chinese (and Russians) probably own already a significant part of both countries...

Yeah but America has plenty of space...there are parts of it that suck but other areas where you'll be the only person for miles around. Cambodia meanwhile is so tiny it's smaller than most US states and people are everywhere except for the SW mountain areas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

LOL:
ones the capital of the country, the other a provincial town

you cant compare.

LOL. Sure I can. Its cheaper for me. I proved you wrong with personal experience. So your spin and qualifying is just an ego need.

What do you know anyway, you live in Phuket. You havent been living in Cambodia since 2009. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I am sorry, but utter rubbish - $100 per month on a mat in a room! I rent a fully furnished modern pent house type apartment in the quiet Wat Bo Village area of Siem Reap (photo below). My apartment covers the complete upper floor with smaller apartments below. Cost - $250 per month inclusive of WiFi, multi channel cable TV and refuse collection. Bedroom this end with panoramic window, then bathroom, lounge and kitchen at far end. Bedroom and lounge both have flat screen wall TV's and air-conditioning units, also fans throughout. Cambodian beers are, in my opinion, far better and of greater value than Thai brews also smoking is a disgusting habit. 

IMG_2398.JPG

I looked at that place I think. Nice area. 

PS, dont tell these guys that the cable TV is horrible. I just stream on the super fast wifi I have. Hey do you have a maid too, I do, and fresh linens every week.

• Like 1

and ur paying  how much for electric?  $.25 vs  $.12 here

and how much for ur water?

and forget about buying a decent car for under $8,000 ( for a 22 year old Rav 4 or honda crv)

or putting a used motorcycle in ur name  ????

super fast wifi

in Cambodia>>LOL not according to my friends in Kep or Phnom Pehn where there lucky to see 25mbs down and i hear open net is really bad now

PS;  i pay 599 baht for 200 up and down an my speeds average 150/200

anyway no reason on arguing, i know what the costs are there

Regardless what it costs ya, if ur lucky, you live where you want to live and where ur happiest.
 Namaste'

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I looked at that place I think. Nice area. 

PS, dont tell these guys that the cable TV is horrible. I just stream on the super fast wifi I have. Hey do you have a maid too, I do, and fresh linens every week.

Yes indeed, but no maid. 2 charming laundry ladies just around the corner. On the downside, the road alongside is a typical dirt one so what it will be like in the monsoon season who knows?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Alcohol - as you say, this is about the only thing definitely cheaper in Cambodia than Thailand. Proprietors are losing money on beer with their 50-75 cent deals, so people come in to eat. In Thailand, any beer sold at a restaurant will probably cost twice as much, at the very least, but depends on the type of restaurant.

Just not true ....... they're making money on the beer.

My pals and I went into a restaurant for our usual 'happy hour' 75c beers on Songkran last year (about 10 of us).

We pulled two tables together, put the chairs all around, and sat down, waiter walked over said 'sorry no happy hour on Songkran'

So as we all stood up to leave the manager rushes over and says, 'special happy hour price just for this table' 75c.

He knows we'll just drink 5 or 6 beers (or 10) each in an hour or two then leave, because that's what we do every evening.

If there wasn't a profit in that for him, I don't think he wouldn't have done it.

But you may be right, he might just like a crowd of fat, bald old drunks hanging out at his place every evening.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

LOL:
ones the capital of the country, the other a provincial town

you cant compare.

why?  we found we both have a better live in Phuket than anywhere in Cambodia and my gf is treated better here and has a better job than in her own country

visiting her family in Kep and our house there 1-2/x/year is enough

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Geez, I know of many many places in Pattaya for $200 a month that look as good as that. With the same or better amenities.  Surrounded by a more modern environment, not 3rd world.

By the way, what do you do all day?

In Thailand you can play golf with many course options, go to a modern mall with food and movie options, many gyms, restaurants, walk on the beach Naklua is very nice, and geez so many great girls.  What else would an active healthy man want?

Get real, SR is not even close to the lifestyle of many places in Thailand.

If a persons life focus is cheap beer, I feel sorry for them.

Every one to their own liking and cheap beer is definitely not a requirement for me. As for living at the seaside, I personally find it a complete bore. I have always lived in the scenic North Thailand mountains and hills, with rivers and lakes, for almost 20 years and now in Siem Reap, a place I have visited on many occasions where I have good Khmer friends. Ex-pat bar stool pundits can be a pain in the neck. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1