Help with Pros & Cons Choosing a Plan Please

luudee

Help with Pros & Cons Choosing a Plan Please

I am male, 56 yo. Looking for inpatient only coverage.
So I narrowed my shopping list to these 3 Health Providers:

April (Thai), Essential. 16M THB Max, $2,179/Anum
Cigna (UK), Close Care, 16M THB Max, $1,890/Anum
Pacific Cross (Thai), Maxima+, 10M THB Max, $1,454/Anum

I don't want to make the choice purely on the premium. I think
the April quotation is with zero deductible, where the other
two have a roughly 1,000 USD deductible.

Otherwise, they all appear to be very close in coverage.

I am a bit worried about Pacific Cross coverage, as coverage for
many items, is listed as "Normal & Customary Charges". Only some
items are "Fully Indemnified". This makes me think they will limit
the payments to whatever they think is "normal".

Any advice, opinions, recommendations?

Many Thanks,
rudi

16 minutes ago, luudee said:

Any advice, opinions, recommendations?

I went through AA insurance brokers (no charge) who got me covered with David Shield who also covered a pre-existing condition which the others wouldn't touch. The Pacific Cross rep lied about me being covered for my pre-existing condition and I cancelled the policy as soon as I found out and obtained a refund.

I suggest you contact AA insurance, tell them what you want and they will do the running around for you, I also covered my family through them through another insurance company where 2 of the 4 kids didn't have to pay for cover which saved us money and the brokers generally know who is a good payer or not.

If you need details PM me and I will send the brokers details across for you, no deductibles with David Shield as well and better than most insurers as far as I am concerned.

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you need details PM me and I will send the brokers details across for you, no deductibles with David Shield as well and better than most insurers as far as I am concerned.

Have you made a claim with David Shield yet? Just wondering how good they were in settling.

3 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Have you made a claim with David Shield yet? Just wondering how good they were in settling.

No I have not made a claim with them, suffice to say that nor do I, but I see where you going with this.

Any insurer will try to get out of paying as far as I am concerned, that said, the broker advised me that they are good, and from what I have read of their policy/wording/fine prints as long as I follow the wording I would assume that I would be ok, roll the dice with any I say.

The above said, they are the only one would listen and look at my pre-existing condition and realised that it wasn't that bigger deal and took me on board, a stent 12 years earlier from a clot with no recurrence or problems should not be put into the same basket, letters, reading, test along the way show that my health is as good if not better than when I was back then, but to insurers its a risk, same basket, won't look outside the square.

I got a David Shield Visa card in my name and in the event of an emergency just hand it over to the hospital, or if it's for elective surgery, I have to notify them and get approval first, fair enough, no doubt they make the payment to the hospital as the wording states, however I have no control over that being made, same, same with other insurers, so a little trust has to be given on both sides of the coin so to speak.

Have you had a claim denied by them out of curiosity ?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have you had a claim denied by them out of curiosity ?

Not at all. I've been with them just a year and not made a claim so was asking. They changed me to PassportCard btw last month. Surely you too?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I went through AA insurance brokers (no charge) who got me covered with David Shield who also covered a pre-existing condition which the others wouldn't touch. The Pacific Cross rep lied about me being covered for my pre-existing condition and I cancelled the policy as soon as I found out and obtained a refund.

I suggest you contact AA insurance, tell them what you want and they will do the running around for you, I also covered my family through them through another insurance company where 2 of the 4 kids didn't have to pay for cover which saved us money and the brokers generally know who is a good payer or not.

+1, contact a broker. they can give franker feedback than is possible on an open forum.

April does offer deductible option and it will lower the premium.

Pacific Cross can and will raise your premiums if  you have a large claim.  April TH legally can but so far, does not. Cigna neither can nor will. Policy from April International (France) can't and won't.

look carefully at age to which each guarantees insurance if you are planning to grow old here.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Not at all. I've been with them just a year and not made a claim so was asking. They changed me to PassportCard btw last month. Surely you too?

Thanks and yes I have David Shields PassportCard WhatsApp contact number in my mobile for emergency contact, but the David Shield Visa Card still applies as far as I know.

I did also notice that as I turn 60 come August the policy will jump about $1,200 USD ouch. 

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks and yes I have David Shields PassportCard WhatsApp contact number in my mobile for emergency contact, but the David Shield Visa Card still applies as far as I know.

I did also notice that as I turn 60 come August the policy will jump about $1,200 USD ouch. 

I got 2 replacement cards from AA.

1. PassportCard Member card with my name, DOB, Policy no. which I carry in my wallet.

2. PassportCard Mastercard for direct payment which I keep at home.

Neither of the two says David Shield anywhere. So please check if you have the right payment card.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Pacific Cross can and will raise your premiums if  you have a large claim.  April TH legally can but so far, does not. Cigna neither can nor will.

But Cigna raise the premium (a lot!) every year even with no claims for more than 10 years now! 

41 minutes ago, Why Me said:

I got 2 replacement cards from AA.

1. PassportCard Member card with my name, DOB, Policy no. which I carry in my wallet.

2. PassportCard Mastercard for direct payment which I keep at home.

Neither of the two says David Shield anywhere. So please check if you have the right payment card.

Thx will do....

I tried to contact David Shield directly. Their website told

me they have no plans for me. So I left a message, have

not heard from them at all.

Has anybody ever made a claim with them ?

Thanks,

rudi

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am always worried when using brokers as I feel they will recommend the company that pays the most commission, not necessarily that is best for me.

But anyway, now  that I have done my own research, I will give them a try. I have been using the local AA brokers for my car insurance for at least 10 years now.

Thank you !

rudi

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PGSan said:

But Cigna raise the premium (a lot!) every year even with no claims for more than 10 years now! 

All insurers will raise rates based on age. And inflationary increases may occur with any insurer..

I had Cigna for many years. Increases were very small  except in years when I jumped an age bracket , then significant. You won't avoid either age based or inflationary based incrteases with a different company.

13 hours ago, luudee said:

I am always worried when using brokers as I feel they will recommend the company that pays the most commission, not necessarily that is best for me.

But anyway, now  that I have done my own research, I will give them a try. I have been using the local AA brokers for my car insurance for at least 10 years now.

Thank you !

rudi

I hear what you're saying and know what you mean.

With AA car, house and family health policies are with them, the person I use for health found me a company that would look at my pre-existing condition, no guarantees, but was worth a look, they requested documents, tests etc etc which I had on file and they accepted my pre-existing condition, albeit it if I wanted that pre-existing condition covered it would be $60 USD per month on top of the normal policy cost, naturally I took it, so in this case, the broker I would say found me an insurer to suite my needs, and with the family, wife and 4 kids, she found us an insurer that allows 2 kids in the cover fro free after the first 2 kids, so saved us some money there.

I suppose at the end of the day, it depends on who you get, as mentioned earlier when the rep from Pacific Cross got in touch with me, assuming he is a contractor, he lied that my pre-existing cover was covered, but no such wording in the policy to that effect so I cancelled it and got a full refund, that said, he palmed me off to someone else when he got my business, probably had no idea what was going on, whereas with this broker, my queries are answered straight away, and I am dealing with the same person, albeit have never spoken to the broker, just email and I have everything on file so I can refer back to if ever an issue.

I think AA brokers are very good at what they do personally.