Krungthai Bank halts FX service at all branches

snoop1130

I wonder whether this is a convenient excuse to bin a loss making service? ATMs and various money transfer systems have rather made them superfluous, and I'm sure the Thai and home country banks would far rather (rake in more charges) we used the ATMs!

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

They're not all shut!  Eg. Vasu wasn't closed yesterday and it is not closed today, either.

I walked past two booths in about 200 metres yesterday afternoon in that area that were open as usual.  And the banks are not "laying-off" staff, some have been sent home for temporary self-isolation as has been widely, and quite clearly mentioned.

Hardly worth arguing. All ones I saw were closed. I didn't state they are laying-off, I was implying. Hence "might".

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Just been on  two websites of FX exchanges, in Chiang Mai, SuperrichChiangMai and Sakolexchange,

and they are both not showing the exchange rates,wonder what's going on.

Superrich and Vasu are both showing rates on their websites, as usual, answering their phones, as usual, and opening their branches in Bangkok today...as usual!  Nothing's going on.

1 hour ago, spinner2020 said:
1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

They're not all shut!  Eg. Vasu wasn't closed yesterday and it is not closed today, either.

I walked past two booths in about 200 metres yesterday afternoon in that area that were open as usual.  And the banks are not "laying-off" staff, some have been sent home for temporary self-isolation as has been widely, and quite clearly mentioned.

Hardly worth arguing. All ones I saw were closed. I didn't state they are laying-off, I was implying. Hence "might".

No, it's rarely worth arguing about when you're clearly wrong. 

Which ones did you see that were closed that would normally be open, and at what time? 

You weren't implying lay-offs, and you didn't state that the banks "might" lay-off staff, you stated that the banks are "thinking they can save a bit by laying off staff".  Hence, no "might" in that context.

Edited by Just Weird

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Superrich and Vasu are both showing rates on their websites, as usual, answering their phones, as usual, and opening their branches in Bangkok today...as usual!  Nothing's going on.

I was referring to Chiang Mai, which is unusual.Mr. Clever

regards worgeordie 

Edited by worgeordie
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Yet another case of very poor reporting.  Do they mean TRANSFER as in electronic transfer or do they mean EXCHANGE in that you go to a counter with your foreign currency and change it for Thai Baht?  TV, it is time you started challenging some of these reports to make sure people understand the basis of what you are publishing, even if you are only copying and pasting an article!

Or a poor case of comprehension skills....

suspending currency exchange service at all branches and closing its 53 FX booths nationwide from 2 pm today (March 11) until further notice

Employees working at forex booths that have been closed are instructed to self-quarantine

Where do they mention electronic transfer ? they clearly state exchange booths ! Surely you don't think the virus can be transmitted by electrons ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Yet another case of very poor reporting.  Do they mean TRANSFER as in electronic transfer or do they mean EXCHANGE in that you go to a counter with your foreign currency and change it for Thai Baht?  TV, it is time you started challenging some of these reports to make sure people understand the basis of what you are publishing, even if you are only copying and pasting an article!

You are correct sir. Bad reporting causes fear. I look at it it just means  you cant take foreign money to a counter and exchange it for Thai Baht Another nail in the coffin for tourist industryt especially at airports  Means you cant exchange money. This is getting crazy  Can a virus hitch a ride on the back of paper notes now . If it includes like transfer money on internet(western union then that is just pure madness)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, robertson468 said:

oh, i've suggested more accurate and fact checking of articles/topics, that often seem to be simply cut and pasted, by the OP, but all i achieved was getting my account suspended. will probably happen again now. one can only try...

• Haha 1

This is kind of classic Thai 'Our Sh!t don't stink" mentality

What makes them think/assume only foreign currency could carry germs? Baht is immune eh? ????

Thailand is so untested who knows what the current situation is virus wise

• Sad 1

Will other banks follow?

If they do will there be a change at the airport Imm'?

Do you have your cash with you sir? $ € £? = 10/20,000 Baht.

You do sir!! Ok dump it in this bin where later we assure you it will all be burned.

Edited by overherebc
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:
On 3/12/2020 at 12:34 PM, Just Weird said:

I was referring to Chiang Mai, which is unusual.Mr. Clever

regards worgeordie 

And I was referring to Bangkok, as I said; my point, in the context of the thread, being that, even though you claimed a couple of websites to be down with a clear implication that that may also mean that the exchanges were closed also, there is no reason for posters to be suggesting that the entire currency exchange booth industry may be ending, spelling doom for travelers.

I will refrain from a similar lame, 'Mr Clever' retaliatory flame/personal attack/insult as that is not allowed by forum rules.    

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ubon farang said:

Bad reporting causes fear. I look at it it just means  you cant take foreign money to a counter and exchange it for Thai Baht Another nail in the coffin for tourist industryt especially at airports  Means you cant exchange money. This is getting crazy  Can a virus hitch a ride on the back of paper notes now . If it includes like transfer money on internet(western union then that is just pure madness)

"I look at it it just means  you cant take foreign money to a counter and exchange it for Thai Baht...Means you cant exchange money. This is getting crazy"

It does not mean that!.. It does mean that there are two banks, that's all, who have temporarily suspended their service.  The thousands of other exchange facilities through out the country can still be used!

"If it includes like transfer money on internet(western union then that is just pure madness)"

No one, anywhere, has reported that so why would you suggest it?

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Will other banks follow?

If they do will there be a change at the airport Imm'?

Do you have your cash with you sir? $ € £? = 10/20,000 Baht.

You do sir!! Ok dump it in this bin where later we assure you it will all be burned.

You seem to think that the action of two banks, and no one else, is a government mandated closure!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

Krungsri is far better than all the others for foreign exchange rates

Far better?  If you changed $100 right now Krungsri would give you B3,142 while, Bangkok Bank, for example, would give you B3,140, that B2 advantage is so much better!

• Sad 1