FDA says law does not prohibit people from making hand sanitizers

snoop1130

FDA says law does not prohibit people from making hand sanitizers

7a50252241a12dc5fa02216614b3b734_small.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT) - Referring to an announcement on alcohol-based hand sanitizers, published in the Royal Gazette, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) explained that the general public can make their own sanitizers. However, manufacturers, vendors and importers must make sure that their products have an alcohol content of at least 70 percent. Offenders will be prosecuted. Last night, the Royal Gazette published another announcement on the reimbursement rate for people who have to cancel their travel to the country. The regulation has come into effect today.

The new announcement states that tour operators are required to reimburse their customers who have to cancel their travel, under certain conditions. The reimbursement criteria will benefit both sides. A customer will receive a full refund if a cancellation is made at least 30 days in advance of the date of service. If a cancellation is made between 15 and 29 days in advance, a 50 percent refund will be given. No reimbursement will be made, if a cancellation is received less than 14 days prior.

Concerning the regulation on alcohol-based hand sanitizers, the FDA said its purpose is to ensure that these products contain at least 70% alcohol, which makes them suitable for disinfection.

"The keyword is we allow people to produce, import and sell alcohol gels or alcohol-based hand sanitizers with at least 70% alcohol content. They cannot be lower than 70%. To simplify this, we want people to produce, import or sell products that contain 70% alcohol or more.", said Dr Paisan Dankhum, Deputy Permanent Secretary of Public Health Ministry.

Producers and importers who fail to comply are subject to two years in prison and a 200,000-baht fine. Vendors selling hand sanitizers with less than 70% alcohol are subject to six months in prison and a 50,000 baht-fine.

Members of the public can make their own alcohol-based hand sanitizers, but the alcohol content must be over 70% in order for them to be effective. Many government agencies are teaching people how to make alcohol-based hand sanitizers.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-03-11
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, thequietman said:

Sourced where please? Global ?

14 hours ago, ben2talk said:

DIY ftw.

Just a couple of hundred baht gets you a litre of isopropyl alchohol - just mix in a bit of aloe gel and you're good to go.

The blue alcohol commonly sold in Big C and other places is actually 70% ETHANOL, as the label clearly states. It is never stocked in large quantities though and has become difficult to find. Maybe some customers are sharp enough to realize that it's the cheapest booze available. 

If you know where to buy isopropyl in 1 litre containers please post. I'd like to buy a larger supply. Is it sold at paint stores or general hardware such as Watdsadu? 

I have a large number of aloe Vera plants so a rolling pin and a bowl for mixing with alcohol makes a good hand lotion. That's what most of the hand gels are. 

If you're at home though good old soap and water does a better job much cheaper. 

That's great news!   We have around 3 ton of Green mangoes we cannot sell....but now we can safely go ahead and make alcohol!   Yesterday I suggested that to the wife who poo-pooed the idea partly on the grounds she didn't want to go to jail.   Maybe today she will be far more receptive to the idea. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

If you know where to buy isopropyl in 1 litre containers please post. I'd like to buy a larger supply. Is it sold at paint stores or general hardware such as Watdsadu? 

I have seen them for sale in 500ml bottles for 200 baht.

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

That's great news!   We have around 3 ton of Green mangoes we cannot sell....but now we can safely go ahead and make alcohol!   Yesterday I suggested that to the wife who poo-pooed the idea partly on the grounds she didn't want to go to jail.   Maybe today she will be far more receptive to the idea. 

where are you located please? might be able to help. (strike that)

With the mangoes, I mean. ????

Apologies, wife just told me her family member isn't selling anymore in Bangkok. 

Edited by thequietman
more info