Night train CM to DM

Geoffreyt

Does anybody have up to date knowledge of the punctuality of trains on the CM to BK route stopping at Don Muang. 

Train no. 52 departs CM at 15.30 and should arrive at DM at 04.30

Giving me plenty of time to catch a flight at 06.45

But.........? No chance years ago but I'm led to believe punctuality has improved. 

Your advice would be appreciated 

Geoff. T

We picked up the inlaws coming in from Ayuthaya to CM a couple of weeks ago....Due in at 4-4:30.....Got in at 6:30....

I wouldn't bet an airline ticket on it....Especially with this virus monitoring/requirements seemingly changing each day....

Granted, I'm talking the other way, but it's only a one rail system for the most part & many things can affect it..m.

• Like 1

With the coronavirus, there might be a delay if they decide to do checks etc. Or you might not get a taxi at that hour if you look to be high-risk.

So it is better to go at least 12 hours earlier.

• Like 1

Airline fares are heavily discounted now. Nok Air has fares as low as 659 with luggage next week CNX/DMK. The train is on a single track and often stops to let other trains pass. Dont chance it..

1 hour ago, anthony0339 said:

I can’t believe you wouldn’t just fly as it would be much more reliable. 

No flights that early in the morning from Chiang Mai to Bangkok - I've had to overnight a couple of times to catch an early morning flight. Makes sense to sleep on the train - saves a hotel bill.

A few years ago we took the night express from CM to BKK rather than train 52 as we could have an A/C twin share cabin (first class sleeper), got as far as Lamphun and it died, generator unit on one (2nd class) carriage overheated, they started to spray water on it to cool it, now that was smart, spraying water onto an electrical unit.?

Stuck there for an hour, then train 52 overtook us, more procrastinating, another hour passed, eventually they dumped the carriage, squashed all the people into the remaining carriages and we got going again.

Arrived in BKK 3 hours late.

So I don't know if you would want to rely on it.

The first class express sleepers are new trains but the other trains are still the old ones.!

• Thanks 1

A VIP bus from Arcade would be faster and could get you to Rangsit Future Park well before your flight. I would even say its more comfortable than the train. Thai trains more often than not run late by a couple of hours. 

Night time road travel is more dangerous though so an alternative would be fly down the night before and stay near the airport. Or fly down the day before enjoy a bit of Bangkok.

On 3/11/2020 at 8:41 PM, LomSak27 said:

Never bet on the train being on time. You need to make other arrangements.

When I first came to Thailand, nearly fourteen years ago, the trains were always late, so I stopped using them, I tried using them again about three years ago, and found they were much improved, even the overnight sleeper to Bangkok which I think starts a Chaing Mai is always near enough on time, and I have used it a few times recently.

• Like 1